Drop Handlebar Width

mtn

I’m going to be buying a Surly Truck Stop drop bar for my gravel/road bike and was wondering if there is any way to determine what width is best. Or is it all up to rider preference? I’m doing this all for comfort so I can actually ride this bike for the first time in two years so aerodynamics I don’t care one bit about. 45 vs 48cm

I think its mostly personal preference. I've gone from 44's all the way to 38/40 on all my bikes and they feel more comfortable. your best bet is to get a bike fitter to talk to you about your options, but I've felt more comfortable the narrower I've gone on all my drop bar bikes.

Reactions: mtn
Will do. I actually need to schedule a bike fitment to reduce joint wear and fatigue anyway.

And apparently there are other options as well like the Redshift sports kitchen sink that sweeps back some along with 20mm rise. I think this is the updated route I will go since they have a good return/exchange policy.

the rough rule of thumb is to bring the bar up to your shoulders but this is not a one size fits all concept.

since i ride 58cm bikes (I am just over 6'1") my road and gravel bikes come with 44cm. I have ridden 1000s of miles and done long endurance rides on these bikes and dont have any issues. i dont know that i could ride with narrower bars but i also have not tried it nor seen the need.

ok so not sure that answer really helps you but its just some feedback ;-)

edit* agree with the above talk to your local bike fitter. may not require a full fit but they could at least size you up better for your bike and which bars you want to try.

Back
Top Bottom