Drivetrain upgrade or...???

axeman_g

All,
I am thinking about upgrading my drivetrain on my 2011 GF Wahoo to something bombproof. I am having some issues with cable stretching and it will not hold a tune. I am not tuning the bike, I take it to my LBS now twice.
Biggest issue.. I am huge with pretty strong legs that wheneven I power up or over something, I can almost feel the gears coming out of tune.

Current configuration is:
Shifters SRAM X.4, 8 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.4
Crank Shimano Acera, 42/32/22

Thoughts?

Seems like you are on the lower end of the line .. Try bumping up to the x9 stuff and shimano XT stuff if you want to upgrade without breaking the bank.

All,
...I am huge with pretty strong legs that whenever I power up or over something, I can almost feel the gears coming out of tune.
Thoughts?

One thing is that stretched cables should have less effect on a 8 SPD than 9 or 10. Also powering up something is not going to stretch cables, chains maybe, but not cables. This may have to do with the rear triangle flexing. I had this issue on my older HIFI, when torquing the drive train the flex in the chain stays actually would cause ghost shifts. If this is the issue then changing drive trains is not going to help (and may get worse).

I would make sure that you know what the issue really is before spending any cash, a one year old drive train shouldn't need to be replaced, even if it is lower end.

Tim

Chainstay flex!!!! No that I heard your thought I looked it up and yep... that looks like the issue. Nothing I can really do about that it seems.

One thing is that stretched cables should have less effect on a 8 SPD than 9 or 10. Also powering up something is not going to stretch cables, chains maybe, but not cables. This may have to do with the rear triangle flexing. I had this issue on my older HIFI, when torquing the drive train the flex in the chain stays actually would cause ghost shifts. If this is the issue then changing drive trains is not going to help (and may get worse).

I would make sure that you know what the issue really is before spending any cash, a one year old drive train shouldn't need to be replaced, even if it is lower end.

Tim

Tim

Tim
I have a similar problem. I have a ton of flex in my frame. During high torque climbs it feels like my chain skips..can't really tell if it shifts. I have all new cassette, chain, and cranks...what can fix this?

Well, I went ahead and followed up with a slight upgrade. Went with Shimano Alivio front and rear 9spd derails and Sandmans SRAM Attack 3x9sp shifters. I did not like the X4 stuff anyway and found it to be fairly needy maintenance wise... so what the heck lets see what an upgrade does.

Bikes are a ton cheaper then firearms.... so what the heck.

Tim
I have a similar problem. I have a ton of flex in my frame. During high torque climbs it feels like my chain skips..can't really tell if it shifts. I have all new cassette, chain, and cranks...what can fix this?

Do you have a HIFI? Check the chainstays carefully for cracks, mine cracked right under the cranks.

picture.php

The first time it happened it wasn't nearly this obvious, just a very slight crack.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom