Downed trees across trails you can ride over.

Trees across trails you can ride over are a

• Total voters

Ironjunk

I was in mahlon and there seemed to be a tree down every 100 feet. No big deal they are in every park that's worth riding.

It kinda depends. I like them to have go arounds.

6mr and CR def off trail
RV is tough enough climbing so alt line
SMP is about rocks

Last edited:
I don't like them on climbs because lazy and unskilled but I think they're a positive trail feature and add fun to a ride. There is or now I guess was one at 6mr that I always wanted to clear on blue but I took such a long break from riding that it's deteriorated to a point now that it's not the same thing.

I simply don't care. If it's there I'll try to hop it - up, flat, down. If it's not, I won't.

I don't get all bent out of shape when someone comes in and cuts out a tree. There's plenty more. They fall all the time. It keeps the trails ever-evolving.

I don't get all bent out of shape when someone comes in and cuts out a tree. There's plenty more. They fall all the time. It keeps the trails ever-evolving.

I voted trail feature, but I agree with this. I don't think it's worth the effort to cut out a tree that I can hop over, but if someone else does it, who cares.

Feature unless it messes with the flow

Flow is overrated.

I know it's selfish that i ride so much and volunteers do such a great job and keeping things flowing but i just want to know the thought process for cutting a tree or not. If jorba said they were going to buzz(or allowing people to) every single one would anyone care? Probably other to fish to fry.

I know it's selfish that i ride so much and volunteers do such a great job and keeping things flowing but i just want to know the thought process for cutting a tree or not. If jorba said they were going to buzz(or allowing people to) every single one would anyone care? Probably other to fish to fry.

It’s more complicated than “jorba says.” We really don’t have an edict to remove all the trees. It’s park & situation dependent.

In my experience if there is a judgment call it boils down to the guy that puts 100s of hours into the park. That person decides if it stays or goes.

Sometimes the park just wants them all removed.

It’s more complicated than “jorba says.” We really don’t have an edict to remove all the trees. It’s park & situation dependent.

In my experience if there is a judgment call it boils down to the guy that puts 100s of hours into the park. That person decides if it stays or goes.

Sometimes the park just wants them all removed.
This. I would only add that if they (the builders) were good enough to build the trails you like to ride chances are they can judge if the tree is safe to stay or it has to go.

What sometimes seems to get lost in people’s mind is that trail don’t just pop out one chill morning in the spring. It takes knowledge, vision, planning, time to get it authorized and then finally a large amount of time and effort to get it actually done. So if the guy/gal that put all that into a trail says the tree needs to go, I thing it has to go. IMHO.

Also, a downed tree that you can ride over can be an effective speed reducer and left there to prevent riders to bomb down a particular dangerous, sketchy downhill.

Again, trail crew discretion applies.

Last edited:
Like @Norm said, there’s no official guidance.

Here’s my mindset:

I cut them out if they are waist height (or thigh high) or something; suspended off the ground. Otherwise I leave them. If they are huge, sometimes I’ll do a little saw work just for fun on the top to make it pretty. One I worked on at 6MR ended up getting a natural workaround, then came back into fashion and looks like it is getting ridden again.

The Sourlands has them completely cut out all the time. Even little ones. Totally confuses me, especially there of all places.

I look at it this way, if Chris Akrigg is the only person that I can think of who wouldn’t have to dismount to get over this hypothetical log, it’s coming out, otherwise I walk over it and move on. Then I’ll come back with my bike and see someone cut it out.

Are we talking something like this?

Maybe 14" off the ground, so around axle height, def hit the chainring type stuff. (which would cause a squeak and shifting problems....)

it is on a flat - easy enough to tap-n-zap (or whatever the PC name is now)

1663156656962.png

At RV, and yes, i cut it out.

And is it really a log-over if it is ramped with sticks or rocks?

And one i took out at the Sourlands - For Dave ;)

1663157039534.png

Are we talking something like this?

Maybe 14" off the ground, so around axle height, def hit the chainring type stuff. (which would cause a squeak and shifting problems....)

it is on a flat - easy enough to tap-n-zap (or whatever the PC name is now)

View attachment 196146

At RV, and yes, i cut it out.

And is it really a log-over if it is ramped with sticks or rocks?

And one i took out at the Sourlands - For Dave ;)

View attachment 196147

Both of those would stay in my world. So you’re the one…!

Ramped is fine as long as it’s not a pile of sticks and crap. Needs to be solid.

Since I cannot hop anything too big, I send a pic to @Patrick and request removal :) Speaking of, RV has quite a few trees down now. Want to bring a mini hand saw and time me to see how long it takes for me to a) cut the tree out, or b) give up, break out a snack, and just sit on the tree?

Back
Top Bottom