Double Trouble State Park

giff06

@giff06 I talked to many that tried this method without your success. I may give it a go before I buy another wheelset. I heard a lot about burping wheels. Thanks for the reply and the info.
E&P

I have a set of Weinman (sp?) wheels that were not tubeless compatible. I tried like heck to get them set up with tape and foam and Stans to no avail. I finally tried the split tube method. It works great on these dreadful wheels and I am down under 5psi now with great success in very rocky conditions.

I used some sill foam from home depot and cut it to the width of the valley inside the rim. I think it was just under 7' of foam to go around once. Used 1 wrap of gorilla tape to make it real snug. Then I used a set of 24" x 2.5" downhill tires (Q tubes on www.jensonusa.com). Inflate them on the wheel so you can center them up well. Then split them on the seam. They will hang over the edges. Mount tire (<trickiest part, but not bad). I am using 4.8" Kenda Juggernauts. Then inflate. Add Stan's through the valve. Shake, shake, shake. There are videos on youtube of this method, as well.

As I said, its been working VERY well and all other methods were a flop. It is so nice to be tubeless. Changing a flat on a fat-bike is a drag. Well, any bike for that matter.

Good luck.

moray42

Merman
@giff06

I have a set of Weinman (sp?) wheels that were not tubeless compatible. I tried like heck to get them set up with tape and foam and Stans to no avail. I finally tried the split tube method. It works great on these dreadful wheels and I am down under 5psi now with great success in very rocky conditions.

I used some sill foam from home depot and cut it to the width of the valley inside the rim. I think it was just under 7' of foam to go around once. Used 1 wrap of gorilla tape to make it real snug. Then I used a set of 24" x 2.5" downhill tires (Q tubes on www.jensonusa.com). Inflate them on the wheel so you can center them up well. Then split them on the seam. They will hang over the edges. Mount tire (<trickiest part, but not bad). I am using 4.8" Kenda Juggernauts. Then inflate. Add Stan's through the valve. Shake, shake, shake. There are videos on youtube of this method, as well.

As I said, its been working VERY well and all other methods were a flop. It is so nice to be tubeless. Changing a flat on a fat-bike is a drag. Well, any bike for that matter.

Good luck.

I did set up split tube, likely on the same rim, but after dropping pressure for a beach ride the seal maintained a partial failure. Held pressure but constantly weeped sealant out the bead. Eventually the extra torque from fat tire traction and low pressure allowed the tire to slip and spin on the split tube. Ended up wearing and cutting slivers of the split tube out.

Ok for a while, but once I found a set of compatible mulefut wheels I made the switch.

Karate Monkey

This is a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from work on Sunday morning...how's the ground? Do-able with narrow-ish (1.6") tires?

giff06

Should be no prob. DTSP is mostly fire road unless you know it. You will encounter some sand but probably not much after the rain we had a few days ago. I have an event to attend in the morning or else I would meet ya there and show you what I know of it. I would really suggest Jakes Branch Co. Park instead if you are after more single type track. Do the blue in both directions and the yellow in both directions. Jakes is only about a mile up Double Trouble Rd from the State Park.

No Doubt. The fatties have allowed exploring to be pretty worry free for Pat and I. When ready to purchase my one word of advice is to make sure the wheelset is tubeless compatible. We wind up with a huge amount of thorn flats and fixing a fat tire flat is no fun in the woods. Thinking about changing wheels to make ours tubeless. This would have been cheaper to do at time of purchase.
Ed and Pat
meant to ask you after this post. what make of fatty you riding?

giff06

meant to ask you after this post. what make of fatty you riding?
I have a Bikes Direct.com Motobecane Lurch and Pat has a Motobecane Boris. They are not expensive in comparison to major manufacturers offerings. We bought both delivered to the door for about the price of a Surly Moonlander. Some people feel they are sub standard but we have nothing but good things to say after 2 full seasons. Both have SRAM componetry and Avid disc brakes(mechanical). The wheelset on both are a PITA to convert to tubeless so we run tubes. The newer Lurch comes with Mulfit rims that are tubeless ready. If you would like to check either one or both out we could meet at Jakes or DTSP. There is some assembly required but it was a pretty easy task.
Although I've never ridden one I also hear a lot of good things about the Specialized FatBoy and I know Beachwood Bikes carries those. I also see some coming into the used market as the latest trend is Plus size so some are selling their fatties and going Plus.
Whatever you decide I would recommend 5" tires and 190-197 rear and 150 front hub spacing.

SPS riders. Cant get over how epic they are. They lurk...they stalk...they pounce.

pounce: to make unwitty jokes about others to boost one's own self esteem.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

sandman

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/double_trouble_trail_map.pdf

I’m interested find out more about this park.

Are the trials marked the only trails? They are mainly double? Anyone point / describe where hidden gems are?

thanks

Double Trouble SP is adjacent to both Greenwood WMA and Forked River Mountain. @sandman knows those trails. He might even be leading another ride through there soon.
Been to Double Trouble a few times. Not enough for me to drive there. As Slingblade said, I do ride Forked River & Greenwood. I don't ride Greenwood until Spring, because it is a WMA, and they do hunt anything they can. Coming up Feb. 6 at BTB, will be the 40 mile pineland ride. March 20 should be The Riding of The Green. starts at Bullock. More on that latter.

Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom