Double Butted Spokes Design

serviceguy

Ok, first of all the question that follows is out of pure curiosity and purely academic...

On a double butted spoke, does the location of the tapers change depending on the length of the spoke? Or, in other words, do all sizes start with the same length blank or they roll a different profile depending on the final spoke length. I am specifically referring to DT Swiss Competition spokes.

This just popped into my head and doesn't want to go away...I know, I know!

This is the type of shit I think of when I'm bored at work. Good one.

I don't know the answer, but I'm assuming that super expensive spokes designed for super light weight are made at various lengths to keep weight/strength balance properly, but most are likely mass produced and cut and threaded at various lengths.

This is the type of shit I think of when I'm bored at work. Good one.

I don't know the answer, but I'm assuming that super expensive spokes designed for super light weight are made at various lengths to keep weight/strength balance properly, but most are likely mass produced and cut and threaded at various lengths.

With the several uninteresting things I have to work with at the same time I need to add the one lifeline to sanity every now and then...on the spoke, that is what I thought exactly, but you never know.

Depends on the manufacturer. The first butt (near the elbow) is pretty consistently 10-15mm long. The other end can typically be shortened 10-20mm (so, the butt goes from the threads for another 20-30mm), again, depending on the manufacturer. High-zoot stuff like bladed spokes are more restrictive. Usually only an extra 10mm or so.

Can someone post a pic - what does a double vs single butted spoke look like? What's the "butt" of a spoke??

Back
Top Bottom