Does anyone ride here?

S

stides

The maps are somewhat difficult to read. Has anyone ever ridden here? Does anyone know if there are trails that are accessible to bikes?

Frank

Sasquatch
Not 100% sure but I heard this place is ultra sandy and mostly used by hunters and equestrians. Don't know anyone that rides there.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I hunt there, as do hundreds of other hunters. I'm not trying to deter you from getting out there, but there are tons of other places to ride. and FYI, it's shot gun season so you should consider at least 200 sq inches of orange. good luck

C

ctanderson

I have ridden there, but it was a looooong time ago. i think 96. As said in the previos post, it is mostly used by equestrians. the horse park of NJ is right
next to it. The place is big but the trails are (were) trashed. In the summer
the greenbrier is pretty nasty. The place has potential if someone is ambitous
enough to take on. Think a large clayton park.

S

stides

I was just curious about the place. I live close by and I was just looking into options other than Clayton and Mercer in the immediate area. Flat Friggin, when does shot gun season end? Isn't there a bow season as well? What are dates on for that?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I was just curious about the place. I live close by and I was just looking into options other than Clayton and Mercer in the immediate area. Flat Friggin, when does shot gun season end? Isn't there a bow season as well? What are dates on for that?

Bow season should not be a great concern for safety, your chances of being accidentally struck by an arrow are very slim. Shotgun season runs til the end of Jan+/- depening what species is being hunted:2guns:

As for Assunpink, it is a public place - we all contribute to it through taxes and are all welcome to use it, but it is heavily hunted. I suggest taking a ride out there in your motor vehicle(tons of dirt roads) and explore. I'm kinda giving you the hint without coming out and saying "not a great place to ride a bike". :(

The name of the place is also kinda a dead giveaway "wildlife management area", not saying that your no wild man/woman(political correctness). But it is there to promote the protection of wildlife and to promote safe and healthy hunting and fishing areas.

If any part of this message is misunderstanding please feel free to chime in, and Stides: good luck, get out there and take a peek for yourself.

olegbabich

I bike there sometimes. During hunting season it can sound like Iraq. In the middle of the park they have a RC Airplane field, if you go Saturday morning you can watch old men fly their machines, it is cool. If you get to know the park you can find a weather station on top of one ridge, it has realy good view,you can see for a least 20 miles.

Last edited:

goodvibe

I have ridden there a few times and there are some interesting trails. I have ridden there on sundays before hunting was legal on Sundays. I haven't been there in a little while because it is a long ways away and not really worth the drive.

fdr_us

Last couple of years, I have ridden both parks a lot. Especially in the winter. It has some real fun trails that are good to ride. It's true that there are hunters out there and I do wear something bright yellow or orange when I go out there, not a deer costume and I leave my antler helmet at home. I have not encountered any problems with hunters at all on my rides and I think the park offers a lot if you know where to go.
I've set up a Strava club for the area to plan rides. If you're interested, let me know your Strava handle; I will send you an invite. Our first ride was supposed to happen this Saturday, but we cancelled because of weather.

Perrineville Lake will give you about 12 miles of fields and singletrack. It's technically easy like Tatum. The amount of singletrack is way more though.

Assunpink has lots and lots of trails, some of the marked, most of them unmarked. There are a lot of log overs and in some areas a lot of stickers. Much like the non existing and never ridden trails surrounding Allaire ;-) . Next to the singletrack, there's a good amount of dirt roads.

All together, the 2 parks will easily give you 40 miles without doubling up, with a great variety of terrain.
We're planning a ride soon to introduce the area to curious riders. You won't be disappointed.

PRus

Have done a good amount of riding there .Still discovering each time some additional trails.
Had lots of friendly encounters with equestrians.
Not a place to come around a blind corner at full speed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 301

zmodica

rode here this morning..its huge! rode the fire road around the lake and there are tons of trails off of that..ill get back there soon and try to make some sense of it..only go on sundays, there are a lot of tree stands set up and shotgun shells litter the forest...i did put on a lot of miles,,,ill report back after my next trip there

w_b

What's the deal with the shells all over the place? Is this area "carry in and someone else will carry out your garbage? WTF? Give em to me, I'll reload em. F'in ignoramii, thinkin they're entitled. Really grinds my gears.

zmodica

so i rode here again this morning just to see. I parked where they shoot skeet and took the fire roads around the main lake. I logged 19 miles and found some single track, but all the single track was 70's bush and overgrown meaning you could get thru it with some work but a clean trail is more fun.
The park is beautiful and enormous but youre so close to Clayton, you may as well go there

on a side note, hunters and fishermen are slobs. The amount of litter lake side is embarrassing.i found a bag and cleaned some up but its a whole day project and if you need some empty shotgun shells, there's an endless supply scattered about

Attachments

• IMG_20161220_135224_920.jpg
    IMG_20161220_135224_920.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 296

The Kalmyk

so i rode here again this morning just to see. I parked where they shoot skeet and took the fire roads around the main lake. I logged 19 miles and found some single track, but all the single track was 70's bush and overgrown meaning you could get thru it with some work but a clean trail is more fun.
The park is beautiful and enormous but youre so close to Clayton, you may as well go there

on a side note, hunters and fishermen are slobs. The amount of litter lake side is embarrassing.i found a bag and cleaned some up but its a whole day project and if you need some empty shotgun shells, there's an endless supply scattered about

If you have it in you these two parks can be connected with a few road miles. The continue work on the Union path at Herbert has been cleared.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom