do you stop?

stilluf

I'm prepared: always carry spare tube , CO2, hand pump, multitool, first aid kit. Used to get flats all the time, so learned the hard way.
As for offering help, I also learned the hard way: This winter I was driving through Watchung Reservation and saw bunch of roadies around a bike on the road w/o a shoulder (Sky Top). Didn't even think to stop and ask if they needed help. About a mile later it hit me like a ton of bricks and I felt like a total jackass. Turned right around but they were gone. Glad it worked out, but I still feel like a jerk and now will absolutely offer help; roadie, MTB'er, recumbent, tandem, unicycle, tricycle, whatever.

Dingo

Are you the one with the fat, white arms or the tan arms making a muscle?
Any time you want to take on the fat white arms let me know,, I got one hell of a reach.

why did i join this forum??

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 124

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
why's the dude on the right, flexing his guns on the photo

Are you the one with the fat, white arms or the tan arms making a muscle?

WTF is wrong with you guys?

I understand that many of you guys got hard-ons with the "who's that girl?" thread but you need to turn your douche setting to "off". Sometimes you guys are like 5 year olds that start to get excited then start smashing everything you see because you can't control your emotions anymore.

My tolerance dial is set to 0 at this point.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I always stop...even in the middle of my race last week, I stopped for a women with a bent up rim. I have been the guy on foot several times, not fun. I have also never been passed by another road rider who didnt offer to help or ask if everything was ok...I remember once parking my bike on the side of the road in the swamp once bc I had to pee....In that short amount of time, two people stopped thinking I had crashed.

gtluke

The Moped
the guy I drove to the bike shop a few weeks ago crossed paths with me riding this morning. I waved, he didn't. Such is roadie life.

qclabrat

I always stop...even in the middle of my race last week, I stopped for a women with a bent up rim. I have been the guy on foot several times, not fun. I have also never been passed by another road rider who didnt offer to help or ask if everything was ok...I remember once parking my bike on the side of the road in the swamp once bc I had to pee....In that short amount of time, two people stopped thinking I had crashed.

I think stopping to help a fellow racer is one of classyist moves, I recall a few TDFs where breakaway riders waited for a competitor to catch up after they had crashed. That's probably not the norm as I recall a NYC Gran Fondo a few years backs, where a Colombian rider crashed at one of the descents and the group left him for dead. The Colombian, though battered and behind by close to a minute eventually caught up and won the event.

JoeLee

I would.
The only reason any of us stop and help people is to feel better about ourselves anyway.

Or to be the hero who stops the car and whips out a shop pump for some poor bastard trying to get 100psi with a micropump.

Kangdoy

Two weeks ago, I was at Chimney Rock. I was doing fine until I got to the bottom of the hill on the Orange trail right before you cross Chimney Rock Road. I decided to take a quick GU break when I suddenly very nauseous/light headed. I was dripping sweat and moments away from passing out. I took my helmet off, sat on a wooden block behind the guard rail and kept drinking fluids, but it wasn't helping. My eyes were closed, hands on my knees and I just kept taking deep breaths. Clearly anyone could tell that there was something wrong with me. Then a mtb rider comes up and says curtly "can I get through?" I slowly get up and try to stand my bike up for him to get through and he says "no no...leave the bike. I don't know why you're standing in front of the trail head..." and rides off up the hill. I didn't say anything because I was caught off guard by his rudeness AND I was still delirious.

Finally, I started to feel better enough to cross over Chimney and park my bike against a tree and sat on the ground leaning against the fence. I had my head down when I hear another rider coming down the hill. I look up thinking he was going to ask if I was ok, but he just rode right past me.

I've only been riding for two years, but I don't think I've ever been offered help. There's been a few times at Six Mile where I'm off the side making a minor adjustment and riders pass me without saying anything. Guess I just have bad luck!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
16 internets late here, but I always ask, and stop if the response is anything but really convincing.
I have helped a few along the way, and actually needed the favor returned on my last flat. I misthreaded my last co2 and needed a spare while on a rail trail in westchester. After asking a few folks, a dude stopped and gave me a cartridge.
Reminds me I need to check stock in the bike bags. What I think is in there and what is actually there may not be the same thing.

jackx

Mid-Atlantic AAA (I think they cover all of NJ, but might not) will pick up your bike on the road if you are a member. You get the same coverage as you get with a car. I think 3 miles of towing is the standard, but up to 100 miles for the Plus members. I have not used this perk, but I see it on the web page and I saw it on Reddit so I know it's true.

I thought I read that the AAA bike coverage only applies to electric bikes.

I'll have to look into this. Good thing I have "Plus, as I am often more than 3 miles from home.

qclabrat

Or to be the hero who stops the car and whips out a shop pump for some poor bastard trying to get 100psi with a micropump.

just need 10 psi to get home, the guy gave me a micro and was at best had 30, but made it home without pushing

qclabrat

Two weeks ago, I was at Chimney Rock. I was doing fine until I got to the bottom of the hill on the Orange trail right before you cross Chimney Rock Road. I decided to take a quick GU break when I suddenly very nauseous/light headed. I was dripping sweat and moments away from passing out. I took my helmet off, sat on a wooden block behind the guard rail and kept drinking fluids, but it wasn't helping. My eyes were closed, hands on my knees and I just kept taking deep breaths. Clearly anyone could tell that there was something wrong with me. Then a mtb rider comes up and says curtly "can I get through?" I slowly get up and try to stand my bike up for him to get through and he says "no no...leave the bike. I don't know why you're standing in front of the trail head..." and rides off up the hill. I didn't say anything because I was caught off guard by his rudeness AND I was still delirious.

Finally, I started to feel better enough to cross over Chimney and park my bike against a tree and sat on the ground leaning against the fence. I had my head down when I hear another rider coming down the hill. I look up thinking he was going to ask if I was ok, but he just rode right past me.

I've only been riding for two years, but I don't think I've ever been offered help. There's been a few times at Six Mile where I'm off the side making a minor adjustment and riders pass me without saying anything. Guess I just have bad luck!

i guess it's a mixed bag out there, and not park specific
sounds like you may have overheated
I've have a few episodes like yours but usually riding at higher altitudes, I usually hurl then suck down a bottle electrolytes

kichibot

I really need to buy a mini hand pump and some tools but it's hard when your bike mechanic is usually with you.

All in all I find mtbers generally nice and they tend to ask for help.

Kangdoy

i guess it's a mixed bag out there, and not park specific
sounds like you may have overheated
I've have a few episodes like yours but usually riding at higher altitudes, I usually hurl then suck down a bottle electrolytes
Yeah, it was on a humid Sunday that it happened. Puking makes everything better!

wonderturtle

I always ask when in the woods ("need anything?" "you good?") but almost never do when on the road.

what does that mean?

Top Bottom