Do you sell used bikes to these facebook flippers?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've noticed when I put bikes up for sales on marketplace I immediately get inquiries from these guys that are clearly not buying it for themselves but instead flipping the bike for resale. One time a guy bought my wifes old bike and a few days later I saw it for sale again for a hundred more. Anyway, does anyone refuse to sell to these guys?

I'm worried about this here on mtbnj.com -

we treat each other well when it comes to pricing -
When someone creates an account, and purchases a bike a day later,
I get the feeling it is someone flipping. Hopefully not too often.

for FB, is it a viable business model if you get what you want, and they try to make a bit more?
Are you trying to give the FB community a break? (not unreasonable)
Esp if they are willing to pack-n-ship, which we all know is a pain and a risk.

Interesting, I never thought that happened here. I'd much rather sell to someone who is going to use the bike themselves than a middleman who's maximizing the price. But I guess I'm wondering if anyone outright doesn't sell to these guys. Maybe its just the thought that they are shady is in my head, but they are actually just opportunists.

Depends what you’re selling. When I’m selling my rare, old-school BMX stuff I make sure I know to whom I am selling. If it’s “just a bike”, not so much as the price I’ve set is morally opposed to “COVID pricing”.

Reactions: don
I've noticed when I put bikes up for sales on marketplace I immediately get inquiries from these guys that are clearly not buying it for themselves but instead flipping the bike for resale. One time a guy bought my wifes old bike and a few days later I saw it for sale again for a hundred more. Anyway, does anyone refuse to sell to these guys?
If you get your price, why does it matter? These aren't family heirlooms, they're used bicycles. You could use flipper interest as a signal that you're underpriced and relist if you're so inclined.

Seems like a lot of work for $100 TBH. And on your side, refusing to sell seems like work too. I'll bet a flipper transaction is quick and easy. It will eventually get to someone who is going to ride it.

Seems like a lot of work for $100 TBH. And on your side, refusing to sell seems like work too. I'll bet a flipper transaction is quick and easy. It will eventually get to someone who is going to ride it.

This. Less danger of them trying to wheedle you on price/get you to take it back.

For what it's worth, it goes both ways sometimes. Guy bought my Brompton and emailed me a week later, "uh oh, he's gonna try to get some money back...". Instead, he was super stoked about it.

If I get the price I want, I'm not worried about someone flipping it. I expect the buyer to have done some sort of research/shopping around and know what the value is, and I do the same research and I price my stuff very fairly.
I get offers on guitars that I sell from people who just resell them...I usually never sell to them because they offer way lower than what I want to get.

I've sold many bikes via FB and I don't think any one of them were flippers based on our interactions. One buy bought my gravel bike to go on a bike packing trip. He asked some good questions and took my bike out for a spin to get familiar with the controls and checked the frame for mounting points for his gear. Another guy bought my wife's bike and there was a bidding war going between him and other guy. Ended up selling it for more than my initial asking price and a bike flipper wouldn't be doing that unless I really underpriced it which I doubt. Then I had a guy who bought a bike for his son. He knew nothing about bikes so he asked a lot of questions about sizing and use to make sure it is what his son is looking for and needs. But the guy I sold my Pivot Mach 6 to might be a bit questionable. I don't know how much downhill riding there is on Long Island but that's where he's from and the Mach 6 seemed a bit much for that area but what do I know?

Isn’t this The Pros Closet’s entire business model? Sell it and forget it.
I had a bike for sale earlier this year with no bites and Pro's Closet offered me basically what I wanted for it. Annoying to pack it up but way better than weirdos from Facebook Marketplace who show up telling me they have 75% of what I'm asking and a sob story.

They're basically flipping, good for them. I'm happy to have the cash in hand and move on.

Even on here I've had known members PM me for buying stuff and then just disappear.

What’s the difference as long as you get your asking price ?
It’s legal all the way around .

I am confused why it would matter what they do with it, you are selling it. If they trade it for hookers and blow, you still got your money, right?
You have two offers -- one for a local guy buying it for his excited son, and another to some random guy who's flipping it. You really don't care at all if the dad gets it?

I've sold many bikes via FB and I don't think any one of them were flippers based on our interactions. One buy bought my gravel bike to go on a bike packing trip. He asked some good questions and took my bike out for a spin to get familiar with the controls and checked the frame for mounting points for his gear. Another guy bought my wife's bike and there was a bidding war going between him and other guy. Ended up selling it for more than my initial asking price and a bike flipper wouldn't be doing that unless I really underpriced it which I doubt. Then I had a guy who bought a bike for his son. He knew nothing about bikes so he asked a lot of questions about sizing and use to make sure it is what his son is looking for and needs. But the guy I sold my Pivot Mach 6 to might be a bit questionable. I don't know how much downhill riding there is on Long Island but that's where he's from and the Mach 6 seemed a bit much for that area but what do I know?
A lot of guys like Reggie head to the hills on the weekend.

You have two offers -- one for a local guy buying it for his excited son, and another to some random guy who's flipping it. You really don't care at all if the dad gets it?
Maybe if you had a choice and they both paying the same amount.

I sold my 1998 lightspeed MTB just under 2 years ago. The guy who bought it was a vintage bike collector. He knew as much or more about the history of the bike than I did and his GF was even funnier telling me (when they picked it up) how much he obsessed over it. I'll admit I both felt good about it and a little guilty for not taking as good care of it as I could have. However at the end of the day I can't worry myself about what someone does with my stuff when i get my price and its not my stuff anymore.

That’s why you try and sell it here first. But yes, if that were the situation, I’d probably sell to the dad. Even if I made a little less.

Back
Top Bottom