Disc brakes

mxrider29

I'm looking to convert my FS bike to discs. I've been looking online and there are so many. I want something decent that are not very expensive. Which way should I go, hydraulic or mechanical? I've never ridden with either so not sure. I would imagine any of them is a step up from rim clamp brakes...

First, is your bike disc compatible? Your frame and fork should have the mounts to bolt on the calipers, and your hubs also need to be disc ready.

Second, youre gonna get all kinds of different answers because brakes are kinda a personal thing to everybody. Some like this brand, others like that brand. I will say that if you go the mechanical route, the Avid BB7 is the only way to go. As far as hydros go, I like Magura. I believe the Loiuse is the bargain brakes they offer, I have used them as well as the Martas and I loved both.

I'm looking to convert my FS bike to discs. I've been looking online and there are so many. I want something decent that are not very expensive. Which way should I go, hydraulic or mechanical? I've never ridden with either so not sure. I would imagine any of them is a step up from rim clamp brakes...

1st question.... Does your bike have disc brake compatible hubs?

Edit: Walter beat me to the critical punch.

i really think you jut need a good set of cantilever brakes:p

Or snag a set of older XTR M950 series v-brakes. They're fantastic and easy to set up. Avid BB7's are usually the go to mechanical disc, since they are trusted, easy to set up and pretty powerful. Also cheap. A great first set of discs. But they obviously wont work if your frame/fork arent disc capable.

Or I suggest avid sd-5 or sd-7's. I got mine with new levers on-line real cheap. they work so much better than my old v-brakes.

1st question.... Does your bike have disc brake compatible hubs?

Edit: Walter beat me to the critical punch.

Yes, frame, fork and hubs are all disc compatible.

Thanks for your input. I've found quite a few BB7's online. Some on ebay, new take off's. I think for the little expense, I'll give it a shot. Also, my existing cantilever levers and cables should work right?

Last edited:
Your levers should work, you will need new cables as the runs will be longer. Its a good idea to replace cables periodically anyway, so this is a good chance to do that. It will give you a fresh start with the new brakes. If your buying take off's or on ebay, make sure you get the mounts you will need. I believe when you buy BB7's new they come with multiple adapters to fit whatever configuration you need. Atleast the ones I bought did.

BB7's are excellent and inexpensive.
Make sure you run a good set of cables/housings.
Most folks recommend Jagwire Ripcords.
Lenny

Back
Top Bottom