Disc Brakes (xc use)

CrossAddict

I like my XTR brakes, and have never used anyother brand (except avid bb's). I was wondering what else is out there that might be lighter and possible work better. So if any one would like to chime in please do so.
Thanks.

-rf

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I ride juicy 7's and love them, while I have not ridden them, or have there weight, the juciy ultimate should not disappoint

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
The folks over on MTBR seem quite partial to Formulas. They make many variations, so check out their site at http://www.formulabrakeusa.com/

I have a set of "The Ones" and they are awesome. The modulation is great and they are STRONG. The only disc brakes I've had, other than these, are BB7s so I don't have much to compare agaist. Though comparing BB7s and The Ones is like comparing a Toyota Camry and Ferrari 599 GTB. The Ones are so much better, in every way, than the BB7s I shouldn't even be mentioning the two in the same sentence.

I can also say that the guys at Formula are great. I had the *very* first warranty issue with The Ones in the country. They took really great care of me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I kjnow I could look it up, but for the edification of the other readers, as well as myself, what's the cots on "The Ones"? And is there a weight saving there?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
The Magura Marta SLs are 7 grams lighter than the Juicy Ultimates. I have seen a few reviews and all of them were positive.

Maurice

Better than XTR is hard to do, in terms of weight, feel and (apparently) durability.

I run Martas (regular, not SLs. Only difference is the aluminum blade handle). They are by far the best brakes I've ever owned. They've taken a beating, went through countless pads and they still perform like day one. Or better, with worn-in pads.
They are a bit finicky when it comes to bleeding them. It can be messy and time-consuming; there's that distinct slurping noise when you're pumping the lever and don't pay too careful attention to the fluid level: back to square one.
The adjustment is also cumbersome, but it's usually a one-time affair in between pads, other than that they are rub-free.

Cheers,

Maurice

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I kjnow I could look it up, but for the edification of the other readers, as well as myself, what's the cots on "The Ones"? And is there a weight saving there?

The Ones are spendy; I think front/rear with rotors and adaptors was about $540 from AE bike. They're 380 grams each end total (brake, lever, rotor, adaptor, & bolts) for 160mm. A BB7 setup, with SD7 levers, is about the same excluding the cable...so you're saving the weight of the cable at each end (100-150g?). I think Juicy 7's are 395g an end. I don't think you'll save weight over XTRs...it looks like '07 XTRs land around 370g each end.

The Ones are a down hill brake, though...but with the great modulation and light weight, they're finding their way onto things other than DH bikes.

Most Formula models weigh about the same. The Oro Puro is lighter at 346 grams an end for everything. Rumor has it that Formula has a 280 gram brake on the horizon for 2009.

edit: The juicy ultimates look like they weigh the same as the Oro Puros.

CrossAddict

Thanks

Thanks for the help. It is great to ask a question and get so many informative responses. Great post by Fogerson w/ weights and ect.

Thanks Again

-rf

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
the elixirs are avid's new trail brake, slotting between the juicys and codes, yet are 25g lighter than juicy 7s (non carbon lever). not sure how that makes sense but maybe they're redoing the juicys for next year to be lighter -- in which the deals on them should be phenom. i see blowouts on 07 juicy 7s all the time. anyway the elixirs should stop on a dime and are uber light.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Juicy Ultimates are 340G a pair, I run them on my Para-Fly, they feel exactly like the 7's, albeit the carbon lever blade may be a tad stiffer. From a mechanical standpoint, the Avid's are one of the easier brakes to work on, but then the Shimano's aren't bad either so topping an XTR isn't going to be easy. Probably the most blinging brake out is the Hope Mono-Mini Pro, it's crazy light and feels amazing, but they are expensive and require a special tool to bleed correctly...Check out Chris's Rig at Lewis Morris on Sunday, he's got the Hope's with Goodrich stainless lines, it's stoopid <----that's the good stupid FYI:D

-Jim.

CrossAddict

The Juicy Ultimates are 340G a pair, I run them on my Para-Fly, they feel exactly like the 7's, albeit the carbon lever blade may be a tad stiffer. From a mechanical standpoint, the Avid's are one of the easier brakes to work on, but then the Shimano's aren't bad either so topping an XTR isn't going to be easy. Probably the most blinging brake out is the Hope Mono-Mini Pro, it's crazy light and feels amazing, but they are expensive and require a special tool to bleed correctly...Check out Chris's Rig at Lewis Morris on Sunday, he's got the Hope's with Goodrich stainless lines, it's stoopid <----that's the good stupid FYI:D

-Jim.

Thanks Jim. I want to build up a pimped out SS and was looking at what brakes to buy. I'll check out chris' rig at LM. peace

-rf

Nimrod

I ride juicy 7's and love them, while I have not ridden them, or have there weight, the juciy ultimate should not disappoint

Second the motion for the Juicy 7!

Them came on my Taurine. Liked them so much, I ditched the Hayes Elcamino's on the Jamis and bought another set of 7's:)

liong71er

try hope mono mini pro. i used them on my 2 HT, compare to american made i like them better n also have great craftmanship.
i also have avid and hayes. but hope is the best bet,...:)

walter

Fourth Party
I have Avid Juicy Carbons on my gearie and Magura Louise's on my SS. The Maguras hands down have a better feel and ridiculous stopping power.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've never ridden disc brakes that didn't work well enough. If you're building up a race bike you're not stopping that much anyway. I've ridden Avid Juicy 5s, BB 7s, and Juicy Carbons (Walter's). They all work. Pull lever, slow down.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Juicy 5s, BB 7s. Not BB 5s.

If you go BB you gotta go 7. Juicy doesn't matter.

Top Bottom