dessel

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only issue I've had with the fork is that the adjustment dials on the top/right fork crown will contact the downtube of the frame if spun 90 degrees to the right. It has not been a problem for me while riding and I only notice it when I have the front wheel off and turn the bars to load it into my car. But yes, bars spins are off the menu for me.

huh, that's interesting. i wonder if that is the case with the devil as well? it's pretty well known (in my mind, anyway) that i'd like to go with the devil HT as my gearie for next season but the fact that the fox rubs makes me wonder if i should reconsider. how much contact is made? could you file the knob a bit or is it too much? i just know that i'll end up OTB and destroy something.

Glancing Aft

I agree with the F29 issue, that could be a deal breaker for me.

Also, not that you have the answer but I've noticed there's only a 100 gram weight difference between the Ramble Tamble and the Jersey Devil. I really wonder if it's worth the $300 price difference (50% price jump) just for Carbon Seatstays with the minimal weight savings.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I agree with the F29 issue, that could be a deal breaker for me.

Also, not that you have the answer but I've noticed there's only a 100 gram weight difference between the Ramble Tamble and the Jersey Devil. I really wonder if it's worth the $300 price difference (50% price jump) just for Carbon Seatstays with the minimal weight savings.

Ride quality grasshopper. Thats why they are on roadies.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that's for a large, huh? based on my three-apples-high height, i'd be on a small so the likelyhood of my sized frame coming in at that are slim. but 100 grams ain't that much. i do get the ride quality thing though.

i'd really like to test one, put it through the paces here in NJ for a real world, NJ based review for the site but alas, it looks as if that whole test thing will never happen no matter how hard i try or what i offer those folks. :(

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that's a good thought for sure. it's more than that for me though.

i know i'm preaching to the choir on this, but for all those unregisted lurkers, the goal of the site is to develop long-term partnerships with NJ based cycling folks like the LBS community and cycling companines (like Princeton Tec). it's to help those that allow us to really pursue our cycling passion. to give them an edge amongst the web giants that use low prices and free shipping to get a piece of our hard earned cash. it's about developing relationships that will make paying 15% more at an LBS more understandable b/c the ROI is there in terms of free tunes, mtbnj.com member discounts or just knowing you can drive to a shop and get an answer from a guy NOT based in call center in <insert your favorite call center country here>.

so, while going to TC is a good idea, it does not firmly put Van Dessel in that category and that's what i'm looking for. call me stubborn, but i want mutual partnerships. like wouldn't it be awesome to have some of the guys on the team running van dessel frames? some top guys on the podiums with jersey devils?

i want to dispense the NJ love to as many as possible. you could call me the cupid of garden state cycling. :D

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think team MTBNJ is being overrun by Niners as we speak. And despite it being harsh, Edwin is notoriously difficult to deal with. I think for better or worse we want to reflect how good/bad the local guys are. They haven't been receptive at all.

Contrast that with Princeton Tec who sent us free lights for evlaulation and have their logo on the MTBNJ jersey. Oh and Jay at Halters who is so easy to deal with it's like he's related to us.

Suhr40

Yeah, the dial thingy on the fork definitely would make contact with the downtube if turned far enough. The side of the dial probably could be filed down to clear the tube. I have wiped out a bunch of times already with no resulting damage. I choose not to worry about it. Of course, the list of things I never worried about but probably should have is long. I believe the Devil and the Ramble share geometry.
I have always purchased from local businesses rather than out of state mail order (with some exceptions). I cannot speak for anyone elses experiences, but I was impressed with Ted and Edwin at Van Dessel. They were available for questions/test rides and fair to deal with.
My offer still stands for anyone to ride my bike. I have been busy with work lately but usually ride at Lewis Morris and the tuesday Marty's ride in Stephen's.

Top Bottom