Dangers of Downhill

joedag90

Hey everyone, I am sorry that this is probably in the wrong forum however it seems like the DH section doesn't get much attention that often.

I really have an interest in getting started riding downhill. Investments that I make I like to use for a very long time. Basically, are their any old time DH riders out there? I am 22 so still relatively young and I would like to eventually compete in races. However, it seems that most of these pros are late 20's early thirties. Basically, I am worried that by the time I'm 40-50, this would be a sport that it would be too risky to continue in.

Any thoughts, insights, etc...

Thanks!

As with most "extreme" sports, the old guys are pushing the bounds of what was previously thought as too old. Look at lance mountain, that dude is like 1000 and still ripping pools like none other. Biking related, Brian foster is ripping trails with style others can always dream of. In any care, you. An keep riding whatever but recovery times will get longer for injuries. You are 22, don't think you are going to invest in a now and keep it til you are 40. Sure, may happen but technology and trends will change drastically in those years and you will likely follow. Your body and mind is the only thing holding you back and you are the only who can decide when it is time to dial it back.

I only downhill in late October so that I can't get the hang of it and kill myself on accident.

the nastiest injuries happen on the last run of the day. :popcorn:

Yeah, good move. October is the safest month of the year for downhilling.
:hmmm:

I guess I'd rather get injured in October than at the beginning of the season. Mountain Creek is usually like a hospital ward on opening weekend.

To the OP, downhill is just like any other activity. It's up to you to assess the amount of risk that you want to take. Try to stay in that sweet spot of pushing yourself enough to get better, but not so much that you're crashing/getting injured a lot and you can absolutely progress safely in this sport. There are many guys riding in their 40s and 50s and they're often some of the better riders at the mountain. There seems to be this perception that DH is 90% about throwing yourself down the hill, hoping that you survive, and getting injured a lot. It certainly can be, and there are enough injuries to back that up for sure, but it's up to you how much risk you want to take.

The first time I stepped foot on a DH bike, I was 49yo. So what was the point of the OP's original question? :hmmm:

the nastiest injuries happen on the last run of the day. :popcorn:

very true! I never ever call "last run"

Oh yeah....I am 47 and DH. My spouse is 58 and started downhilling this year. Age has nothing to do with it, except like was mentioned, recovery time may take longer.

Its all about wearing the right protective equipment, and learning the right skills to lessen your chances of a bad crash. And you will crash. Stretching and staying loose helps you when you crash so you wont do as much injury to yourself. You also need to learn to ride what you feel comfortable with. Push it, but not before you feel you learned the skills to do it...did that make sense? And dont do it for anybody but yourself...in other words, dont let your buddies talk you into it.

Last edited:
Age has nothing to do with it...it's more like stupidity. I started at 39 and raced for a few years, then took a few years off. I went twice at the end of this season and had a blast and I'm 51.......and I wasn't the oldest on the mtn.

As with most "extreme" sports, the old guys are pushing the bounds of what was previously thought as too old. Look at lance mountain, that dude is like 1000 and still ripping pools like none other. Biking related, Brian foster is ripping trails with style others can always dream of. In any care, you. An keep riding whatever but recovery times will get longer for injuries. You are 22, don't think you are going to invest in a now and keep it til you are 40. Sure, may happen but technology and trends will change drastically in those years and you will likely follow. Your body and mind is the only thing holding you back and you are the only who can decide when it is time to dial it back.

Great stuff mentioned already from stb222 as well as Arwen's Mom, J-Dro and ebarker.

I was going to mentioned Foster as he is riding as well now @ 40 as he ever did. I think he says the trick is to not stop riding.

Good point about tecnologoy getting better. Yes, the level of riding is so much better now but so are the bikes. With 26" DJ geometry dialed in - someone like me that rode bmx can still ride that same style but have a bigger wheel and a front shock to take the edge off. But the bike is more nimble than the 20" rigs I rode BITD.

One thing I think will progress tech wise is safety equipment. Not saying they will help you be a better rider but I would imagine the new stuff will get lighter/less restrictive all the while protecting you better (sorta like when airbags came out for cars).

And I can see DH trail becoming better made too. Anyone could jump a 20' gap if the jump was made right.

But forget all that, you are 22. If you want to ride DH then just ride DH. Ride Mtn Creek every weekend for the next summer and sprinkle in trips to Platt, Whiteface, Highland, Whistler, etc. Worry about all this stuff when you are 32 or 42.

The biggest danger of Downhilling is getting married and having kids. :D Nothing will get you off the bike like that! ;)

My only advice is to spend $$$ on good gear. I can't believe how many guys I see riding with just knee pads. Get a great helmet and good quality body armor that doesn't feel cumbersome... like this.

It makes all the difference in your confidence and will save your ass.

The biggest danger of Downhilling is getting married and having kids. :D Nothing will get you off the bike like that! ;)

oh I dont know about that, depends on the woman you marry, and the kids. I was a single mom when I started my DH, and I took them with me and got them riding the DH trails too.

As for spouses...thats when I met my now Hub, and he went with us too. Didnt ride, but stood on the sidelines and did race volunteering etc.

My only advice is to spend $$$ on good gear. I can't believe how many guys I see riding with just knee pads. Get a great helmet and good quality body armor that doesn't feel cumbersome... like this.

It makes all the difference in your confidence and will save your ass.

THAT ^ I agree 110%!

Back
Top Bottom