Cygolite Expilion 350

MikeP

I was looking for a secondary bar mounted light to compliment my MagicShine. I wanted something atleast 300 lumens, self contained battery, and under $80. After searching around I settled on the Cygolite Expilion 350. I was able to get on Amazon for $70.

I did 2 intial rides near dusk and a bit beyond to test the light solo. Tonite I did a real nite ride, started at 1000pm. The light throws a fairly wide beam and with 7 modes to choose from. I ran it on boost (350 lumen) which gives a burn time of 1.5 hours, high is 300 lumen and 2 hrs. It takes up very little barspace and is fairly light at 130g. The mounting bracket is stable, I rode over the heaviest rooted sections a CCC and the light beam bounced very little. I rode for a bit with just the Expilion and MagicShine off. IMO opinion this light solo would be fine for easy to mod tech trails solo at moderate speeds. If I tried to pick up the pace the light could throw enough light to keep up. Combined with the MagicShine I was riding almost at my daytime full speed. In fact I was less than 10 seconds of my best daytime pace on 3 different Strava segments at CCC. The combo of helmet and bar lights give you full coverage. I had the bar light slightly down to light up directly the 20-30 ft in front of me with the helmet light adjusted to look ahead. The combo really shined on the Renegade trail (similar to Orange trail at 6 Mile). I had great near coverage and could look ahead to find my turns.

I think this is a good secondary light for fast trail riding or good solo light for rail trails or commuting.

They make a Expilion 700, which comes with a helmet mount and can be had online for as low as $118 if you wanna go cordless on your helmet.

Attachments

• cygolite.jpg
    cygolite.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 24
  • photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 22
  • photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 21
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Looks like a nice light.
Is there any interference to your Cateye wireless computer? I know that a couple of my Magicshine lights will cause to computer to stop working.

No did one of my regular short loops and data seemed accurate. Although as above I was shocked my speed.

i had the same problem with my Magic shine and my Cateye wireless computer. It only happened when I ran the light on the lower settings though.

I have the 400 and its awesome. The best quality/price/output combo I have personally tried.

Back
Top Bottom