Cycle Works - 55 Rte. 206 - Byram, NJ

C

CD1134

If you're a fan of Giant bicycles, Cycle Works is the place to go; they probably had 30+ Giant mtn and road bikes on the floor. As a person who prefers other manufacturers, however, I didn't see much to my liking. Their components/accessories section was OK, but they didn't have a huge selection. The nice thing about the shop is that it's just minutes from Allamuchy, which makes it a convenient place to stop for anything you might need before your ride.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wasn't too impressed overall. They had a lot of bikes there but no brands that I'm partial to. They also didn't have a large variety of accessories. I actually only recall one brand. Definately a great location if you run into problems at Allamuchy. If it was located on the other side of the road, I'd stop in for bars and gels before a ride.

-jay

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I love when I get to give a positive update! Steve broke his chain today and we went in to get a new one. A+ for suggesting that he replace the cassette (original) with the chain so they wear together.

I picked up a KMC Missing Link because it always takes problems on the trail to learn what HAS to be carried with you. Also got some six six one knee / shin pads for $48. They were 30% off. Finally got some new pads on order for my hope brakes.

Had a chance to talks with some of the people there and some great personalities. Fun to swap stories with!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Busted my chain on the trail and went right to the shop. 15 minutes and $140: 2 KMC Missing Links, SRAM 9 speed chain, SRAM 11-34 rear cassette, Park floor pump, Cliff gel pack, great advice, awesome shifting transmission and being able to get back on the trail the same day.

Plus, John had some good advice about local trails and rides. He runs technical skills clinics, so contact him at the shop. These guys know the local trails, know their stuff and are good wrenches - a winning combo in my book.

An earlier post mentioned a limited inventory/selection of bikes and parts. The shop will order what they don't have, and the turn-around-time seems reasonable. It's probably better to call ahead if you are looking for something in particular.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've had NOTHING but great experiences with these guys. initially i gave john a little grief on here about the timing of getting me my wheels, but as it turns out, i misunderstorrd what he said. the net was, he got me my wheels EXACTLY when he said he would. they are truly bullet proof and worth every penny.

i would not hesitate to recommend these guys to anyone. both john and frank are REALLY good guys, know a lot about A LOT of stuff. i've "accidently" spent a couple of hours there just shooting the sh!t with them. i have very high expectations for an LBS since i had dealt with a buddy of mine for the past 18 years. these guys have met every expectation and like shaggz said above, if they don't have it, they'll work with you to get it.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Cycle Works' new web site is up:

http://cycleworks206.com/index.php

Was in there is AM shooting the breeze with John, and they just received their '07 Giant bikes. The Trance lineup looks great in the matte finish, and there are plenty of reigns, faiths and glorys. The road and STP lines look real nice, too. Plus, Jake's Fuel is in the shop for any who would like to practice their wrenching or pinata skills.

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

Called in on my way home from the Mouch. Nice bunch of guys. They were all fixing bikes when I walked in but they dropped tools ans came over to help. I picked up a load of little bits and pieces and they gave me advice on the best ways to get the little things installed. They didn't have to!

Nice chaps and handy being right on the doorstep of Allamuchy coz you're bound to break something in there!

doofus

i've had NOTHING but great experiences with these guys. initially i gave john a little grief on here about the timing of getting me my wheels, but as it turns out, i misunderstorrd what he said. the net was, he got me my wheels EXACTLY when he said he would. they are truly bullet proof and worth every penny.

i would not hesitate to recommend these guys to anyone. both john and frank are REALLY good guys, know a lot about A LOT of stuff. i've "accidently" spent a couple of hours there just shooting the sh!t with them. i have very high expectations for an LBS since i had dealt with a buddy of mine for the past 18 years. these guys have met every expectation and like shaggz said above, if they don't have it, they'll work with you to get it.

I totally agree.
John and Frank are 2 of the nicest guys I've ever met, and
John is the best mechanic who has ever worked on my bike. I do almost all of my own maintenance. But when I have something I just don't feel comfy doing, John is the only one I'll let touch my bike.
They've always been straight with me about costs, when parts will come in, and repair finish dates.
True, they don't have the greatest selection of accessories and stuff, but they more than make up for it with their honesty, integrity, and passion for all things bicycling.
Lenny

J

Jeff

Of all the bike shops I've been to in northern NJ and eastern PA, cycle works has been by far my favorite. They're great to the local 'biker kid' crowd that love to hang around and loiter, too. I was in my teens BMXing every day when the shop first opened and I spent the better part of two years hanging around there for hours every day. John and Frank are always more than willing to help anyone out in need, and have gone above and beyond that for me many times. Great guys, A+ work, trustworthy... nothing but good things.

jmcc19

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... Just curious if anyone knew if this shop is still open or closed down or what. Seems their website is down, and their phone number just rings and rings until finally a generic answering machine says nobody can take the call right now.

I can pretty much assume that it's closed, but I thought maybe someone here might know. I never drive up that way so taking a trip just to find out it's closed would be way out of my way and quite annoying.

I have a gift card to that place from about a year ago. If it's closed I guess I'm out of luck.

Top Bottom