cutting the cord

Wolfjon

Hey guys, I have Fios at my house and the whole family does watch TV in the evenings. Just getting tired of paying the $140 a month.. Yes I know its not much but it still adds up considering I can get the 200/200 service which is double my current 100/100 for only $40 a month... So those of you that have done this which streeming services did you end up going with and what are some of the unknown cost involved. I know I would need something like Hulu or Netflix and I would probably just buy my own router to get rid of the rental..
Any advice would be great... Thanks

Hey guys, I have Fios at my house and the whole family does watch TV in the evenings. Just getting tired of paying the $140 a month.. Yes I know its not much but it still adds up considering I can get the 200/200 service which is double my current 100/100 for only $40 a month... So those of you that have done this which streeming services did you end up going with and what are some of the unknown cost involved. I know I would need something like Hulu or Netflix and I would probably just buy my own router to get rid of the rental..
Any advice would be great... Thanks
There's a thread about this somewhere....

I had FiOS, 4 HD boxes, DVR, all the channels, Gigabit, & land line.
Last December, ditched everything but the internet. You still keep their router. We use Hulu Live for "watching TV" and all the streaming stuff. Also Netflix. And if you have Amazon Prime, then you also get the Prime Video stuff. I installed a HD antennae in the attic so we get all the local stuff on every TV ( I used the existing coax cables that already run to every tv).

Channel surfing becomes a thing of the past, but you adapt.

There's a thread about this somewhere....

I had FiOS, 4 HD boxes, DVR, all the channels, Gigabit, & land line.
Last December, ditched everything but the internet. You still keep their router. We use Hulu Live for "watching TV" and all the streaming stuff. Also Netflix. And if you have Amazon Prime, then you also get the Prime Video stuff. I installed a HD antennae in the attic so we get all the local stuff on every TV ( I used the existing coax cables that already run to every tv).

Channel surfing becomes a thing of the past, but you adapt.

tenor (17).gif

I am actually standing around with the FIOS installer RFN. I am buying the internet only for $39.99/month. Have YouTube.tv ($50/month) and Amazon Prime ($10/month) for a couple of years. YTTV has BTN and ACC ?.

I recently cut the cord, Fios internet with Sling TV, Netflix and Prime. Honestly, not sure we even need the SlingTV as 90% of what we watch is on Netflix, but we will see.

I haven't had cable for 6 years and I'm getting ready to drop streaming services

so I get a few cease and desist orders what are they going to do sue me lol... fuck

following this my Optimum service is like getting robbed every month and the wife just added netflix so now I am paying more not less.

Fios Internet was always rock solid so if I can get my other channels and programs over a combination of netflix, Amazon prime video etc... then its worth it.
How does it work with the phone service I guess I have to have voice an internet only? I would put back Verizon for those basic services in a hot minute.

following this my Optimum service is like getting robbed every month and the wife just added netflix so now I am paying more not less.

Fios Internet was always rock solid so if I can get my other channels and programs over a combination of netflix, Amazon prime video etc... then its worth it.
How does it work with the phone service I guess I have to have voice an internet only? I would put back Verizon for those basic services in a hot minute.
ditch the phone too

unlimited on phone, dump internet, turn on hotspot.
netflix has offline downloads - so a little planning could go a long way.

getting 35mbs download in the middle of the day on ATT.

unlimited on phone, dump internet, turn on hotspot.
netflix has offline downloads - so a little planning could go a long way.

getting 35mbs download in the middle of the day on ATT.
not feasible w/kids gaming on computer/xbox, but good idear otherwise.

Just going to do some out loud thinking here. Maybe it can help you.

I need to actually get rid of one of these streaming providers to make room for Disney+. Currently have Hulu, Netflix, Prime and PS Vue.

Netflix still has great content despite losing anything Disney owned.

Prime is a side benefit so that's going nowhere.

Hulu is free with the Spotify offer.

And PS Vue is for live sporting events. Some of it is redundant as I also have a digital antenna. Maybe that's the one to put on the chopping block.

My rent includes cable. If I had to pay $140 per month for 300 channels of pure bullshit I too, would cut the cord.
Pretty much everything I watch is available on line or free over the air.

Just going to do some out loud thinking here. Maybe it can help you.

I need to actually get rid of one of these streaming providers to make room for Disney+. Currently have Hulu, Netflix, Prime and PS Vue.

Netflix still has great content despite losing anything Disney owned.

Prime is a side benefit so that's going nowhere.

Hulu is free with the Spotify offer.

And PS Vue is for live sporting events. Some of it is redundant as I also have a digital antenna. Maybe that's the one to put on the chopping block.
Sling might have cheaper options for the live tv. I havent looked into hulu live tho. Netflix is in trouble because another major content is going live. I forget which one, but they control a ton of tv and movies. I'm in a similar boat, trying to get rid of cable. Not sure what to do for the live stuff.

OK so next question would be what are you guys running for routers? The Fios one I had to put in my living room and I still do not get reception in my bedroom.. Old 40's ranch with cinder block in part of the house from a renovation really kills signal..

Back
Top Bottom