CushCore tires not holding air?

I thought this was pretty interesting, mind you he is talking about on a hardtail. I haven't felt the need to run inserts and I'm not even curious but also not against in any way but hearing about the PITA of installs I will remain non curious for now lol.

Nothing to contribute to the OP's issue. Can only say that I'm running Tannus inserts and not having any of these issues. Install took 15-20 mins per wheel. The bike sits more than its ridden and don't lose pressure in them.
Maybe it's the tire/rim and not the insert.

Nothing to contribute to the OP's issue. Can only say that I'm running Tannus inserts and not having any of these issues. Install took 15-20 mins per wheel. The bike sits more than its ridden and don't lose pressure in them.
Maybe it's the tire/rim and not the insert.
Same, on Tannus and no real issues. I will say that the CC bead dropper is a game-changer for installing inserts.

I decided to ride out a pair of wheels to see if that would help seal them. This worked with my first set of CushCore. I took a few runs at mountain creek yesterday and it sealed up the tires nicely. They are still solid today. Let’s see if this time they hold for a full week. :confused:

As for performance- I was running 17psi and 19 psi, which at 210lbs is low. There were a few rock slams that I know would have dented the rims without the inserts. Now I have to work on my cornering speed and really take advantage of the low psi that CushCore allows.

Slightly related as the rear wheel also had cush core, and I did not feel it needs a separate thread. The good old DT Swiss wheels I built for the Fugitive needed some love, so while I had the bike in pieces and the suspensions sent to Fox for service (and hopefully orange bits to match) I decided to change a few spokes and re-tape them. I always used DT-Swiss tape and double tape them, never had an issue. This time I decided to do a different think and used a rim strip under a single layer of DT Swiss tape (I used the same on a separate DT Swiss wheel and it worked fine)...no dice, the rim leaked at some of the spoke holes and even through a nipple?!?! So, I re-taped one of them this time using regular insulation tape to cover the spoke holes and again a single layer of DT Swiss tape...again, same leaks. I get that i should stick to the trusted, working method of double taping the rim, but I had other DT Swiss wheels with a single layer of the same tape and had 0 issues, none at all...any idea?

I think it depends on the tires. I usually try 1 layer but if the tire is hard to seat, I’ll put another layer on to make a more snug fit. Maxxis usually needs 2 layers on my Carbon Rovals.

Those spots are where you rub the tire thin on the rocks
Not true. Can depend on sealant type and tire composition. I had Maxxis Ardent EXO TRs that leaked like that when new. Switched from Bontrager sealant to Orange seal and problem gone.

Last edited:
false, i have never had a problem with a single wrap of tape on tubeless. Im sure there are many variables, but iv never had a single wrap be the reason for failure.
DT Swiss wheels use one layer only, but they're wrapped at the factory...

Tires are not a factor here, as they don't leak at the seam and the tires, Maxxis DHF/DHRII EXO+ (120tpi) were on the very same rims before anyway.

I guess I'll have to take the tire off again (thankfully I only did the front) and check the tape condition. Maybe a pinched it or the electric tape underneath let go somewhere...

I have also experienced a tire with cushcore not holding air, basically need to pump up every ride. Also appears mine is sucking up sealant as well.

Following up on the original post...

I believe that I damaged the rim strips when I first installed the cush core. I corrected the issue by doing two wraps of gorilla tape on each rim before (very carefully) re-installing everything. That seemed to have worked because the wheels held air for more than 48 hours. Odly, they still lose air after about a week. The same is true for the setup on my DH wheels. It's not a big deal since they don't lose pressure when I'm riding.

Back
Top Bottom