cross or road bike ?

TonyC

What bike do you recommend for bike paths and streets? Main use is to ride with my boys, pull a kid trailer, and my own road rides. I'm leaning toward a cyclocross and I'm wondering what's the +/- versus a strictly road bike.
What do you all think?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
in my humble opinion, if you are just planning on kicking around with your kids, you'll be a lot more comfortable on a hybrid/mountain bike than a road bike.

Shaggz

A strong 7
my wife has a hybrid, and i was thinking of getting a trailer to pull the kids behind it.

i was also condidering a road-type bike for myself just to add miles to my week but have no idea what would be appropriate.

A

Ant

I think a hybrid would better suit your needs as well and that comes from a road rider. Cyclcross bikes are basically road bikes but with 28c tires and probably a bit tougher frames.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Ant, Any reccomendations on a reliable road bike? Again, this will not be a primary rig, but will compliment mtbing, and I'm not looking to break the bank.

A

Ant

smarencik said:
Ant, Any reccomendations on a reliable road bike? Again, this will not be a primary rig, but will compliment mtbing, and I'm not looking to break the bank.

I have a Trek 1200 that has done me well for about 600 miles or so. You can also look at Felt's and Giant's. You def. have to get some clipless pedals and road shoes though. The SPD-SL or Look style pedals are where it's at.

ytc100

I have a hardly used hybrid for sale (2 of them actually, one's a women's frame). Let me know if you want more info.

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks, be we gotta hybrid already that wy wiff uses on the rail trails, but I am looking for something to put some modest road miles on. you riding this weekend?

ytc100

Riding with the Wife Saturday morning.

Sunday I'm riding Allamuchy with a buddy of mine.
10am at the 517 side.

A

Ant

smarencik said:
what about slapping a set of mtb pedals on it so i can use the same shoes?

Yeah, I guess you could do that. My bike originally came with SPD styple pedals but I really didn't like them as I would get hot spots and they were hard to clip into. So I got the SPD-SL's and have been very happy.

C

chainring

I'd go with a hybrid or whatever it is they are calling them these days. Trek makes nice ones (I'd like to replace my 15 year old hybrid 750 with the hybrid 7700) and so does Cannondale (Adventure series). These bikes will handle the extra load and stress of a trailer or child seat much better than a road bike will. And the higher end may have front shocks and shocks in the seatpost.

I have Speedplay Froggers on both my old Trek hybrid and new mountain bike. I like these peddles a lot but I've never tried any others.

Shaggz

A strong 7
how do you like your frogs? i think i'm finally gonna make the move after about 10 years on frogs to a set of times.

Shaggz

A strong 7
ytc100 said:
Riding with the Wife Saturday morning.

Sunday I'm riding Allamuchy with a buddy of mine.
10am at the 517 side.

saturday looks like an early AM ride at KVSP, then to meet up with the family for a hike. Not too sure about Sunday yet.

Top Bottom