This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

double check me on this if you want, but i dont believe it can be (legally) required until the vaccine receives full approval, not this emergency approval that they are operating with now. (or maybe they got final approval and i missed it) at least that is what they were telling us from work when people were asking if the vaccine was mandatory.
I’ve been watching for any indication on how this is going to play out as I have skin in the game as they say.
Everything has been non-commital so far.
I think you are right about the EUA.
I can see them requiring vaccination for in person classes though. If you don’t want the vaccine, remote classes as they are doing now. Probably at least through the fall.
Our high school is still split (about 65% have gone back to in person instruction)

Last edited:
Let's just hope the vaccine is truly the answer. We're all lab rats.

No we aren't. The vaccines were proven to be safe and effective. The only remaining question is how long immunity lasts. FDA approves drugs on an emergency basis regularly when the benefits are proven to far outweigh any risks.

safe and effective

in the timeframe and dosing we have been able to observe.
revisit after 10 years of data is collected.
i'm not expecting any issues, but the data isn't there to blanket statement that we are not participants in a long-term study right now.
maybe that arg could be made about any new drug or treatment - most of which make much longer than 9ish months of trials.

'he' is my kid (child, not pet goat) - and he will get it like everyone should, that can (i think they are excluding a couple groups right now for lack of data)

1617987408773.png

in the timeframe and dosing we have been able to observe.
revisit after 10 years of data is collected.
i'm not expecting any issues, but the data isn't there to blanket statement that we are not participants in a long-term study right now.
maybe that arg could be made about any new drug or treatment - most of which make much longer than 9ish months of trials.
10 years is silly. Typical time frame for phase 3 clinical trials is 1 to 4 years, but many times less. Totally depends in what is being measured. Some diseases 3 to 6 months is sufficient. Approvals take far longer due to ridiculous red tape which Pres Trump smartly curtailed for these vaccines.

And vaccines are far different from therapeutic drugs which can have longer term safety issues (i.e. cancer). Vaccines are simple concoctions developed to elicit an immune response - our body does the work, not the drug. Much safer proposition.

10 years is silly. Typical time frame for phase 3 clinical trials is 1 to 4 years, but many times less. Totally depends in what is being measured. Some diseases 3 to 6 months is sufficient. Approvals take far longer due to ridiculous red tape which Pres Trump smartly curtailed for these vaccines.

And vaccines are far different from therapeutic drugs which can have longer term safety issues (i.e. cancer). Vaccines are simple concoctions developed to elicit an immune response - our body does the work, not the drug. Much safer proposition.
Former president Trump.

No we aren't. The vaccines were proven to be safe and effective. The only remaining question is how long immunity lasts. FDA approves drugs on an emergency basis regularly when the benefits are proven to far outweigh any risks.

If immunity is only 6 months I'm afraid COVID spikes are going to be just a regular thing again. Once a year, people may do. Twice a year even the most safe people are going to start lapsing.

Once a year, people may do. Twice a year even the most safe people are going to start lapsing.

Once anyone can just walk into their supermarket and get a vaccine, I don't think this will be a problem. I'm in Wegmans like three times a week. As long as they text me and say I'm due for a shot and I can just walk over to the pharmacy and get it, no problem.

Once anyone can just walk into their supermarket and get a vaccine, I don't think this will be a problem. I'm in Wegmans like three times a week. As long as they text me and say I'm due for a shot and I can just walk over to the pharmacy and get it, no problem.

I hope most people are like you, but I sadly don't think that'll be the case after a few years. People are lazy and busy and only half of adults get the flu shot. Though I guess as long as 82% of the 65+ crowd does that's half the battle here.

I hope most people are like you, but I sadly don't think that'll be the case after a few years. People are lazy and busy and only half of adults get the flu shot. Though I guess as long as 82% of the 65+ crowd does that's half the battle here.

I haven't gotten the flu or a flu shot in probably 10-15 years, and I'm a total lazy bastard. Hopefully in a few years they'll have better vaccines.

I haven't gotten the flu or a flu shot in probably 10-15 years, and I'm a total lazy bastard. Hopefully in a few years they'll have better vaccines.
Same for me, last time was when my nephew was born and he turns 15 in June.

This. One of the many advantages of having these vaccines available in virtually every local pharmacy

Flu vaccines will always be the same. The issue is they never know which strains will be circulating the following year. It's basically a crap shoot

I'm not sure how much correlation there is between not getting the flu shot and not getting the covid vaccine though. I think that was my point. I may not have a point.

Well I'm just cynical about people's desire to go feel like shit once a year intentionally if the vaccine always has these side effects. You're gung ho about getting it now because it's fresh. After 5 years...hell 2 years I think people will begin to just forget/not care anymore enough to go get their shot.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom