Convince me to buy an AXS Dropper Post

I’ve gotten sick of my Fox Transfer and find myself tempting to switch to the AXS post. Anyone ridden one for a while that would recommend it?
I have about 1.5 years on mine with no rebuild and no problems. I removed it once to hit the bleed valve and it tightened it right up. Highly recommended.

I’ve had many droppers (worst being original Reverb). Thought my Transfer was solid. AXS works flawlessly but not sure if worth the additional cost. It’s also heavy..but the remote is awesome.
It’s not really that heavy once you consider the weight of the cable and housing of other droppers.

I want to get one of these. I've never had a dropper. Are there any gotchas I should know about?

My new bike has a 400mm post and set to min depth it's about 10mm too short. Assume, I will be OK with a 440 AXS. Is minimum insertion the same as a traditional post?

Travel options are 100, 125, 150, 170mm. I'm leaning towards 125 for ... reasons? I have no idea. 5" seems like plenty.
Mike, talk to Banana Fontana. He has a 125 axs dropper on a medium frame supercal and I think it’s almost all the way in 🤣.

Are there any gotchas I should know about?

Some I've run into are:

- There is a button battery in the shifter. So you have to carry extra button battery.

- I've run out of charge on the rechargeable battery more than once but that's because I'm lazy and I like to take unnecessary chances. Usually I can go for a while w/o recharging (I dunno maybe like a month depending on how much I'm using the bike).

- I've had to "bleed" mine a few time because it develops (up/down) play. SRAM has a tool that comes with the post and a simple procedure to remedy this. It takes like 2 minutes. I think basically you let some air out or something like that. I kinda take this as a positive because other cable droppers I've had they all developed this up/down play eventually and there was no way to fix it or it's difficult.

- This one time my batteries drained prematurely. They died after like 3 rides and I was stuck in the middle of the Virginia Southern Traverse with no shifting and no dropper. My theory is that the shifter and seatpost/deraileur stayed connected together after one of my rides and drained the batteries. It's supposed to disconnect and connect automatically. But it is also possible that I just forgot and they weren't really charged at all. As I am an old man now, my memory is not so good. I will probably get some extra batteries at some point and carry them with me when I'm doing day long rides or longer.

I think the best thing I like about it is that the feel of it never ever changes (other than the bleed thing). With cable actuated ones, I felt that over time things start to feel slightly different (not in a good way). I also like the fact that it doesn't take too much thumb muscle to activate it. It can be an issue when you are out there riding for 12hrs. That's why I used grip shifter for ages.

That said I don't think it's worth it to spend $800 for a post when other much cheaper options exist. But I can say the same about lots of other bike parts. If you can have the best of the best, why not?

Last edited:
Some I've run into are:

- There is a button battery in the shifter. So you have to carry extra button battery.

- I've run out of charge on the rechargeable battery more than once but that's because I'm lazy and I like to take unnecessary chances. Usually I can go for a while w/o recharging (I dunno maybe like a month depending on how much I'm using the bike).

- I've had to "bleed" mine a few time because it develops (up/down) play. SRAM has a tool that comes with the post and a simple procedure to remedy this. It takes like 2 minutes. I think basically you let some air out or something like that. I kinda take this as a positive because other cable droppers I've had they all developed this up/down play eventually and there was no way to fix it or it's difficult.

- This one time my batteries drained prematurely. They died after like 3 rides and I was stuck in the middle of the Virginia Southern Traverse with no shifting and no dropper. My theory is that the shifter and seatpost/deraileur stayed connected together after one of my rides and drained the batteries. It's supposed to disconnect and connect automatically. But it is also possible that I just forgot and they weren't really charged at all. As I am an old man now, my memory is not so good. I will probably get some extra batteries at some point and carry them with me when I'm doing day long rides or longer.

I think the best thing I like about it is that the feel of it never ever changes (other than the bleed thing). With cable actuated ones, I felt that over time things start to feel slightly different (not in a good way). I also like the fact that it doesn't take too much thumb muscle to activate it. It can be an issue when you are out there riding for 12hrs. That's why I used grip shifter for ages.

That said I don't think it's worth it to spend $800 for a post when other much cheaper options exist. But I can say the same about lots of other bike parts. If you can have the best of the best, why not?
This is why you have the AXS app...so you check the battery status before you ride...or you like rollette.

Some I've run into are:

I assume SRAM has a maintenance recommendation for this dropper other than the air bleed thing. Has anyone done those / similar to the Reverb?

This is why you have the AXS app...so you check the battery status before you ride...or you like rollette.

Can also just press the button on the dropper to check battery level. Green is good, red is better charge it soon, flashing red is good luck but you're probably SOL

I only tried it once, a red light on the charger was on. Have to wait until return to NJ to try anything else.

your battery is bad, or it didn't make good contact.

stayed connected together after one of my rides

I believe there is vibration detection - so transporting the bike with the batteries in is detected as motion
and it won't sleep.

Preposterous!

but not

1613653826564.png

would that make it conceivable?

Back
Top Bottom