conditions?

SS_Dave

No snow here? I thought that storm was supposed to go south? If its good to go I am heading out soon. Any takers for a long ride?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No snow here? I thought that storm was supposed to go south? If its good to go I am heading out soon. Any takers for a long ride?

Can't speak from personal experience, but I have a co-worker that lives down that way and they got around 4" from Monday's storm.

theranch

Please feel free to ride the white, blue and red. I love the blue trail but the red and white could use some traffic in parts. Blue and White are nice and flowy and as mentioned previously, has some climbing! Temps down this way (close to Batsto) have the snow melting, the 6" we got on Sun is down to less than an inch. I can see grass sticking up so I'm sure by the weekend the trail will be exposed.

Last edited:

SS_Dave

I was there on Wednesday and took the blue CCW loop. Only a couple inches of snow that was melting. Little wet in spots. Should definitely be good by Sunday

JDurk

I was there on Wednesday and took the blue CCW loop. Only a couple inches of snow that was melting. Little wet in spots. Should definitely be good by Sunday

Saw in the Allaire conditions post, you mentioned riding at Batsto today and tomorrow.

Please post conditions for Batsto.

Thanks,
JD

rocknrollgirl

I would be interested too in first hand current conditions, I can't believe that it is rideable judging by what I am seeing out my window in Manahawkin.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
3/9/14

There is still an inch or less of snow in the woods and the ground is frozen.

It will be a slushy muddy mess on Saturday with the forecasted quick thaw.
I'm hoping that Sunday 3/9/14 will be good. Though that might be optimistic.

JDurk

Just saw this on FB from someone who rode at Batsto today:
Just finished riding there and wish I didn't. Standing water and slush all over. I'm soaked and covered in sand and leaves.
Doesn't sound good for riding tomorrow.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Just saw this on FB from someone who rode at Batsto today:
Just finished riding there and wish I didn't. Standing water and slush all over. I'm soaked and covered in sand and leaves.
Doesn't sound good for riding tomorrow.

Confirmed. Sunday 3/9/14 does not look good for riding. :(

pibbles

I'm off work Tuesday and Wednesday are ya gonna be camped out there till then kurt? I'm gonna be needing a fresher update...

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
I'm off work Tuesday and Wednesday are ya gonna be camped out there till then kurt? I'm gonna be needing a fresher update...

I don't camp out. Instead, much like Erik, the phantom of the opera, I secretly live in Batsto Village, my identity concealed by a 1979 vintage Scott goggles/facemask combo. I sing of my pain whenever I see someone ignoring the soft trail conditions and riding the singletrack.

Seriously, if you show up to ride at Batsto and see the trails conditions are bad... go ride the double track instead. Batsto to Jenkins and back, down the Washington Turnpike is my old favorite.

You really should have known.

Last edited:

pibbles

I do know. It's just that I saw another perfect opportunity to be sarcastcal. ...I will spend my days off sharpening trail tools

Cusco

A friend at Wissahickon Cyclery in Philly mentioned to me last week that he and some friends had been heading down to Batsto for their MTB fix given trails in our area are unrideable. Had some free time yesterday so I decided to head down and check out the orange and blue loops. Trail conditions were excellent with the exception of one minor detail. About 2 miles into the orange loop the trail and surrounding area was on fire :scared: . Turns out there was a controlled burn taking place. I debated whether to just turn around but the brush fire was not moving very quickly and I was able to ride on a fire road for about a mile (in lots of smoke with flames 20 yards off on either side) and then reconnect with the orange trail beyond the fire. I managed to get 20+ miles in and very much enjoyed riding the well marked dry singletrack on the orange loop. I must mention however that I was very surprised that there were no signs posted for the controlled burn and the trail head leading to the burn area was not blocked off :confused: . I stopped in the visitor center before my ride and also passed a park ranger in the parking lot just as I was heading out on my ride and not a mention of the controlled burn. You would think from a safety perspective there would be some signs or some type of warning???

Johnny Utah

For many of us smoke and flames are enough of a deterrent,printed sign is overkill..

ROLLONG ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING!

Some of my favorite rides at Allaire are during the burn.....great smell.

I have a three day weekend coming up and am looking to ride somewhere new. It seems like everyone is pointing Wharton first times to the Batso parking lot, what road is this off of? Best way to get to it when coming from Toms River in Ocean County?

Stick to the Blue, White, and Orange trails?

Any input would be appreciated.

moray42

Merman
The map on my phone has issues with the address given, but here are the coordinates of the turn off pleasant mills rd. 39 38 30 N, 74 38 52 W

From Toms River you might as well hop on the parkway to exit 58. At the exit light turn left towards Tuckerton, and then take the first right just past the pw south off ramp (should be a sign for bass river sf there). Take that to where it ends at an intersection with stage road. Go right, pass over the pw, and continue straight until the fork at pilgrim lake campground (red building on right). By this point you will have passed BRSF and should see signs for batsto. Take the left road at the fork and continue until it ends at a curved intersection and bridge. Take the right and cross the bridge. You will continue on this road until reaching Wharton/batsto on the right (when you reach a long curve bordering the mullica to the left you are only a few minutes away). Total extra trip from 58 is normally around 20-30 minutes.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions