Coming to North NJ soon, New to East Coast, not new to MTB Scene.

Davis1451

Got directed to this site as a good place to get the low down on the North New Jersey scene. Older guy with around 20 years of MTB racing as a racer and currently a USAC Race Director in Missouri with putting on about dozen MTB and XTERRA events (including the Missouri State MTB Champs one year) I did these with my old college teammate who owns a bike shop in St. Louis (Mike Barro Owner: Swim Bike Run O'fallon) with him having a great race team (40K Racing) connected to the shop. Moving there due to an opportunity within my work. As much as I hate to leave a good batch of teammates, a great co-director and race sponsor with Barro, and two great Off-Road events Mike Barro and I have been building over the years (The Heartbreaker and XTERRA-St. Louis), I have to find new trails, new teams, new shops, and new races. I have researched some of the trails and Strava segments (if it isn't on Strava it didn't happen). I have the following area I am looking for feedback on with the local scene in North New Jersey.

-Best Trails close to Randolph, NJ (Area I will be living)?

-Thoughts on Allamuchy Trails? I like to periodically take a long MTB rides (think 25-30 miles without doing laps), this trail system on paper looks like a potential area for 3-4 hour rides.

-Good Fall Endurance Races? We have the BTEPIC in October in Missouri and it sells out in about three hours (about 500 racers) and is a 50 mile race mostly on singletrack with only about 2 miles of gravel road repeated, everything else on a massive area of the Mark Twain National Forest and over 5,000 feet of climbing. I was truly spoiled with this one.

-Good Bike shops? My buddy stocks Specialized and BMC, so I ride Specialized by default (not a bad group of bikes though), but if they don't stock Specialized it isn't a deal breaker. I will be buying one last bike from SBR before I leave and the wife has started to ask about how many bikes I have and need (N+1), so I may not be buying a new bike for a while. But I do periodically break things and need a source for tires/tubes (also bike commute in the St. Louis area). I can do some wrenching, but periodically may need a bike wrench who does it daily and has tools I might not have.

-Speaking of New Bikes. I am looking at the latest Stumpy lineup with getting a ST version. How will that hold up with the local North New Jersey trails? I am not a freerider type with no hucking off big drops, more of a 50 mile racer and lean toward comfortable 29inch setup.

-Best Tire around NJ? Online videos show a lot of rock garden action.

-Regular Group Rides? Until I learn the local trails, I would rather not get lost. If you blind fold me, drive me to any trail within 100 miles of my Missouri home and turn me loose, I will know where I am at within 400 to 800 meters. It has been a very long time since I have truly been lost and would rather not revisit that feeling. Plus I haven't be riding as much this spring and gained weight, lost fitness. Looking for a group ride with at least a couple of fat old guys. Not because I want to bond with you. I just need someone I can outsprint in case of bears.

-Beer Question. One thing St. Louis can do well is beer, and I am not talking about A-B Budweiser old world headquarters, plenty of great small breweries. What is the local beers and pubs to hit around Morris County.

-MTB teams? As noted before I ride for St. Louis team, but the local MTB teams really make the vibe for the race scenes.

Wow lots of Q's but you at the right place
NNJ is a good place if you like rocks. There's actually an endurance race host by the site in June, when you planning to move. In NJ, cross is big in the fall, though we don't stop as there's all a few snow bike races as well. Welcome to the Rock garden State

Best Trails close to Randolph, NJ

Closest is Dickerson Mine, right in Randolph. Best is subjective, but Mahlon, Allamuchy, and Wildcat are all pretty close.

Thoughts on Allamuchy Trails?

There are three parks there, Allamuchy North, Stephens, and Deer Park. You can easily do a 30 mile triple parker. Add in KVSP via a short rail trail and you can hit fifty miles.

Good Fall Endurance Races?

https://www.bikereg.com/bearscat-50

Good Bike shops?

Also subjective, but Marty's has a shop in Randolph, right next to Dickerson Mine. They used to sell Specialized, but not anymore. Hilltop and Halters are also great, but further away from you.

Speaking of New Bikes. I am looking at the latest Stumpy lineup with getting a ST version.

New bikes rule, Stumpy will be great.

Regular Group Rides?

We post rides here, but also check the local meetups:
https://www.meetup.com/njmountainbiking
https://www.meetup.com/Cycle-Craft-NJ-Rides
and others probably

Best Tire around NJ?

Endlessly debated, depends on where/how you ride. I like Maxxis Minions because I don't mind going slow and I like my sidewalls not to get torn to shreds.

Beer Question.

You are gonna fit in good around here. Other Half in Brooklyn is mecca, but there's some good shit in NJ too.

MTB teams?

There's a bunch of teams around, come out to some local races and meet some people.

Are you in NJ now, if not when do you arrive? Let me know when you want a tour of Wildcat.

Welcome - I married into the STL area (Florissant) - and all the Arch, Cardinals, and Bud that can be consumed on
the return trips. Heading out in August after not going for five years, so I'll need the 'do not miss' brewery list please!

Your local breweries are going to be up in Hacketstown - Czig, Jersey Girl, Man Skirt. NJ has some archaic laws around
alc and food in the same building - so bring your own food (BYOF?) - There are some good beer mules here too! Watch for
buy/trade opportunities. Esp with people who take MTB vacations to Vermont.

You'll need to hook up with @MtnRider (David) - he is the Xterra guy, and it is coming up fast. If you actually like to
swim when not drowning, or run when not being chased, your local event is the Garden State Swim-Run in randolph lake,
and dickerson mine trails, which is put on by Paramount MultiSport. There are a couple xterra people there, and some adventure racers, mostly
athletes focused on building to IM distances. Lk Placid being the big one out here.

NJ isn't big enough to get lost for more than an hour or so with decent cell reception and solid trail maps (many are updated
by the peeps on this board.) Doesn't mean you won't wonder onto the wolf preserve, or military base,
both have their drawbacks.

Mooch is awesome. The new Stumpy is amazing, I'm on an Expert Carbon ST 27.5 with 2.8 Fast Traks. I feel it's the perfect amount of bike for our area. If you're my size you can ride it.

Here’s a nice Stephens State Park loop.
I call it the Allamuchy SSP Figure 8 loop it has 2 nice descents. The 1st on the way out on the new white single track, the 2nd on the way back off blue at the chimney. Both descents end at the beginning of pink at the intersection of white.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1869731683
E54DE67E-4302-4F9E-933B-35027EAFC990.jpeg

-Beer Question. One thing St. Louis can do well is beer, and I am not talking about A-B Budweiser old world headquarters, plenty of great small breweries. What is the local beers and pubs to hit around Morris County.

Magnify Brewing is not too far from Randolph. Brewery only can release every few weeks kind of deal.

Hey - we did a 50k race last week and a 4 hour endurance race out in PA today. So I'm too tired to really write too much. But there was a good Q up there - when do you arrive?

I am also a fat old race promoter who runs this-here team. Maybe we can do coffee. Do you like coffee? If not, we can't be friends.

}One horrible thing about NJ mountain bike parks is the horrible trail markings {or non markings as it were} Allamuchy being the worst culprit yet greatest trails. I've been riding there over 10 years and still pass by trails I have never ridden or know where they come from. I have a few different loops and kind of stick to them. I suggest a trail guide. Chimney Rock is also a must with many group rides posted here. As far as beer goes, stay away from the hordes of IPA's . If you find yourself down the shore in L B I may I suggest Manafirkin Brewery

Back
Top Bottom