Coldest temperature you rode in was?????

Single digits in skateboard shoes back in the day for like six hours. I had my wife take my one sock off because I could not feel my foot anymore and I thought my big toe and the one next to it were frozen together. I bought real winter shoes after that. Not very smart on my part.

I have done some stupid road rides in single digits. For the last 2 winters I have also done a winter solstice century ride the start temp last December was around 15-17F at 745am and we finished around 3:30-4pm I think it was heading back down below 30s. Avg temp was around 25 according to garmin.

I ride all year round on the road and with the right layers and gear I can tolerate about 2 hours or so if there’s sun and no wind.

I find that riding steady and trying to avoid too much climbing it’s much more manageable the downhills are painful if you get too sweaty.

I need that photo of you pushin the Salsa El mariachi through 3 feet of snow with that big jacket😂😂

15 years later... Wth😳😳
Screenshot_20221130-095606~2.png
Screenshot_20221130-095617~2.png

I think mine was 8* up at Lake Placid.
Almost certain one of the BIYFs was to blame :)
I had to get hot tea water from the hotel to unfreeze the lock on the roof rack,
and picked up a can of lock de-icer in town for post-ride.

Only got cold feet when I stopped to take pics.

I cant find the group pic. The amount of people that turned around though......
So cold my carbon seat post broke......
Yeah, that was the 6 degrees at 6 Mile ride...pre 2010?

I had posted up that I'd never been to 6 mile, Jdog responded with an offer to give a tour...the rest is history.

I'm not sure where the photo is of us standing along post and rail fence near parking lot. It was a pretty big group and that was only half, the other half turned around 20 minutes into the ride because they were too cold.

Worst one in recent memory was 14 degrees. It was prime conditions for ice, so I pulled the bike out with studded tires, headed out at Allaire, and noticed after ~.5mile that the freewheeling was lazy. I pressed on--because it's not like you coast at Allaire that much--until the ~2mile mark. Going down the hill behind the care center, headed to the park proper, I got kicked forward by the pedals.

As a consummate fixed gear rider, brain just went along with it , so I didn't crash, but once I stopped, I realized that the freehub was no longer working properly. I could, with great force, turn the pedals backwards, and it would drive forwards, but I realized that something was really wrong. Not wanting to get stuck out in the (rapidly dropping) temperature, I booked back to the car.

As it turns out, the oil that I'[shouldn't]d lubed the freehub with froze, and the unexpected resistance detonated most of the parts of the drive mechanism...but the drive plates still hit, so I managed to self rescue. It would've been a really freaking cold mile back to the car.

Absolute coldest was years ago in Trenton, probably around that by a few degrees. Like @Fire Lord Jim I decided that it wasn't "fun". I have better gear now, though.

Back
Top Bottom