Climb/Descent right of way?

I do enjoy a good bell ring when you are approaching people stopped in the middle of the trail, while I know it is not the most pleasant move, why are people parked in the middle of the trail?

I seen many people with super clean $2500 bikes with Fox forks, either standing around or riding very slow and they spect you to either wait or move over... My little girl is only 10 and she always keeps a speed of 10 - 16 mph on her little Raleigh BMX... She so deserves to get a 24 inch Cannondale :) she needs something with speeds because when an adult with an expensive bike slows her down when she rides her single speed BMX she has trouble making it up the hills :(

There's bad trail etiquette at every place I've ever rode. CCC, Ceres , 6 Mile, Wiss, White Clay, Stowe and Kingdom......all of them. Would it help to have the rules of the trail posted at trailheads.....maybe. I just basically yield the majority of the time now. It still pisses me of when someone is bombing when I'm climbing or even worse not yielding to other trail users. We can definitely be our own worse enemy.

Never been to one but I think there are "ONE WAY ➡️" trails... In a way it will make life easy for everybody... Except when it comes to those Slow Poes... plus the trails would have to be a complete loop or have another trail just to get back to your car :confused:

That was me on the fatboy ,sorry about the sticker bush . Thankyou for your courtesy !

That was indeed a sweet fatboy... I was the guy on the black Trek with Supermoto and Sawneeboy.

And for the record, you stopped too so thank you for your courtesy as well!

[...] Except when it comes to those Slow Poes... [...]
Hey now, slowpoke here :) Not everybody has a need for speed. But, I yield to everybody approaching in either direction unless yielded to first. Although, I wish some folks would let me know that they're behind me without tailgating... I'll gladly let them pass when I can safely move over, but I need to know they're approaching from the rear!

Over the weekend, I had just started up a climb that was clear at the time, and was scanning the trail for the best line up. Then I hear ding-ding ding-ding. I look up the climb to see someone coming down with no intention of stopping, and land up pretty much being run off the trail. I guess he thought that the person ringing his bell first has the right of way. :rolleyes:

when I was out riding in Colorado, there were trail arrows at the trail head designating the direction to ride in. I spoke with the park ranger and she said that every month it changes directions. Of course this was being ignored but was nice to see such a rule in place. all a matter of time before we adopt this.

back to subject, I always yield either up or down.

Hey now, slowpoke here :) Then I hear ding-ding ding-ding. I look up the climb to see someone coming down with
no intention of stopping, and land up pretty much being run off the trail. I guess he thought that the person ringing his bell first has the right of way. :rolleyes:

People will push you around if you let them. The person climbing has the right of way. Next time tell Mr. bell ringer to wait because you have the right of way. He either doesn't know the rules or doesn't give a shit. In any case he needs to be educated.

yes i herd someone sunday back in the wood with a ding ding bell, as i was coming up the hill, i yelled up and said coming up!! at the top was 5 people waiting for me to come up, so ya just gotta use those lungs in that situation.... safe riding everyone.....

Never been to one but I think there are "ONE WAY ➡️" trails... In a way it will make life easy for everybody... Except when it comes to those Slow Poes... plus the trails would have to be a complete loop or have another trail just to get back to your car :confused:

A few months back I rode a bunch of nice, flowy trails in the Atlanta, GA. area. Everything was one-way. So odd!

I only yeild to old guys on crappy or mid-level 26ers. And that's only if I'm not trying to reach KOM on Strava ...which is pretty much all the time. ;)

Last edited:
I'll yield to pretty much anyone, but definitely downhill. Since I'm riding for enjoyment/fitness, I'd rather not get hurt because someone else doesn't know the rules.

Back
Top Bottom