Climb/Descent right of way?

WinTaper

What is the preferred etiquette is regarding climb/descent cross-yielding on a narrow trail? I know its hard to stop when cruising downhill, but on the other hand - it really sucks to have to stop and restart in the middle of a climb. I guess I'm a passive guy so I usually just yield if there's no room… just wondering.
-Dan

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
normally the person coming up the hill has the right of way just for that fact...Of course there are always different views on this and you will hear all of them :)

WinTaper

Interesting … so far common sense has worked - especially since I often need a break from climbing - seeing as I'm an old man.

Thinking about heading to Allaire... the force is strong today!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Here are IMBA's Rules: But plan to see all of them ignored at one point or another by some riders.

http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail
Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.
1.Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.
2.Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.
3.Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.
4.Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
5.Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.
6.Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Trail Etiquette

What is the preferred etiquette is regarding climb/descent cross-yielding on a narrow trail? I know its hard to stop when cruising downhill, but on the other hand - it really sucks to have to stop and restart in the middle of a climb. I guess I'm a passive guy so I usually just yield if there's no room… just wondering.
-Dan

Here are the general rules:
1. Bikes yield to everyone.
2. Hikers yield to horses.
3. Horses yield to no one and poop everywhere without regard.
4. Downhill riders yield to climbers.
5. It's good form to let people know if there are other riders in your group coming behind you (e.g. - "three more")
6. Everyone should say "hi" and be polite. As a biker concerned about expanding/maintaining trail access, this is especially important for cyclists encountering other trail users.

1-4 are generally accepted as "official." 5 & 6 are just my opinion, but I am typically infallible.

/tj.

MikeP

climbers have the right of way, unfortunately not a lot of people follow the rules

Steve B

I was taught that riders going uphill have right of way was a universal rule...PERIOD. Funny how I encounter the most dangerous violators of this rule on the more advance trails, by large groups of seemingly experienced riders. I doubt that they can say they didn't know. More like they are selfish a-holes. And yes, if I sound bitter, it's because I just ran into this yesterday riding uphill on the new White Trail in Ringwood where a group of 6 riders bombing down the trail...EACH ran me off into the woods as they flew by. Infuriating and dangerous.

wonderturtle

by.....experienced riders. I doubt that they can say they didn't know. More like they are selfish a-holes. .

They do know...and they are just what you called them.

They feel they are better than you so they don't give a shit if their riding takes you off your bike. Simple as that.

I have sooooo MUCH more respect for the strong rider that displays courtesy and then leaves me in the dust when it's safe to do so. On the other hand, you blow me like an asshole you are not leaving me impressed, the only thought in my head is "asshole"

Good thing is, in my experience, the courteous riders far outnumber the jerks.

Last edited:

Spylab

Flat singletrack (Six Mile Run) is a lot more challenging on the yield than uphill or downhill. I think common sense told me to give climbers right away when I first started riding, solely because I know what it is like to break a climb and wouldn't want to subject someone else to the misery of losing all momentum.

However, last time I was at 6MR a couple weeks back it was VERY busy on the trails by both athletic cyclists and novice riders on Walmart bikes. I found myself pulling off to give right of way 80% of the time solely because I was solo and a lot of others were in pairs or small groups. A lot of times (especially in Orange) I got the vibe that my oncoming traffic had no intent of pulling off and would have bumped shoulders before yielding.

I know it's all flat terrain, but momentum and flow are half the enjoyment out of places and sections that are super narrow and fast. Never quite sure if there is protocol for that, other than to play chicken until someone bails...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
it would seem logical that bigger groups have ROW over smaller/singles in the flats.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since I have libertarian leanings I hate having rules dictated to me. Every situation is different. Ride hard and keep common courtesy in mind.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Cha1985

i figure this is a good place to put this, to the group of (6-8 guys) in blue and white riding clothing in Allaire today, specifically about 1/4 way threw tiger woods trail just chatting away in the middle of the trail and blocking the trail where they could of moved up ten feet where there was a large opening you are all a bunch of A-holes..... u see me coming and no one moves till I'm basically on top of them and i have to slow down where i needed speed for the climb... why the hell would u people decide to stop right there, Allaire is the only place where we seem to have a problem with people not having common sense, or trail etiquette.....

Ian F

I'll admit 6MR is tough at times... I seem to yield and be yielded to about equally and sometimes we manage to simply pass without having to go off trail too much. In general, if I see the upcoming rider first, I'll slow and move over to let them by. When in doubt - remember the rules of the road: stay RIGHT.

In general, passing there can be more of an issue when coming up on a slower group of riders from behind. I've had a few instances where the leader was stronger than the others and while the others let me by, I'll get to the leader and he either doesn't want to let me by or doesn't realized we've left his buddies in the dust (and ignores my greetings to let him know I'm NOT part of his group). So we just keep going faster until he makes a mistake.

The worst is coming up on somebody wearing headphones... rarely are those encounters pleasant... :(

Cha1985

I'll move over and let faster guys pass, I'll stay to the right as much as I can, if need be and someone is coming up the hill I'll let them go before they slow down. I have no problems with that. But today that just pissed me off. They all looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Sry bike n gear but it's too often I notice this.... It
Sucks

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I'll move over and let faster guys pass, I'll stay to the right as much as I can, if need be and someone is coming up the hill I'll let them go before they slow down. I have no problems with that. But today that just pissed me off. They all looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Sry bike n gear but it's too often I notice this.... It
Sucks

Oh, I was just saying it's not just Allaire. Six Mile Run, and Hartshorne are just as bad.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Allaire, 6-mile and Hartshorne are full of beginner mtbers who don't know any better. Riding in places like Mooch, Mahlon or Ringwood you hardly encounter anyone and when you do they know what they are doing. ;)

wonderturtle

Allaire, 6-mile and Hartshorne are full of beginner mtbers who don't know any better. Riding in places like Mooch, Mahlon or Ringwood you hardly encounter anyone and when you do they know what they are doing. ;)

The clueless noobie doesn't bother me too much. But once or twice a year you come across that strong rider who thinks he fucking owns the trail and expects everyone to get the f outta his way. I hate THAT guy ;) so to answer sk1ers question - the kom chaser is faaaar worse (they know better)

Bottom line- 95% of the people in every group (be it bikers, joggers, dog walkers, drivers) cause no issues, it's that 5% that you wanna f'in strangle. I try (with varying degrees of success) to not let the inconsiderate few bother me.

Last edited:

shawneeboy

I always give right of way to people climbing...

Actually, just went into a bunch thorn bushes earlier today at Deer Park to let a guy on a Specialized Fatty go up hill...think I mightve ripped a nipple off...

Additionally, since I started riding in April I let faster people by all the time....hopefully when I'm faster it'll be paid forward.

Top Bottom