Classic car restoration

JPark

Can anyone recommend a good classic car restoration place?
Central Jersey location would be nice, but obviously not the most important factor.

What make of car ?? Chevy ,Ford ,Dodge??? That info would be helpful as you better off to try to find a shop that specializes in a brand .

calling @Johnny Utah

since his mustang restoration is incredible and im guessing he may know people who know people.
Yes, I have people. My guys specialize in corvettes but they have done several mustangs. Over the years their cars have set records at Bloomington, Mecum and Barret Jackson. PM me for details.

I have a second option as well, but if you want it done right option one is the way to go.
9016A379-E085-453B-B6D8-218DCAF4FA16.jpeg571A7B9F-382A-475C-BCF1-3D4AF86FFA47.jpeg

Last edited:
@JPark love 68's, best year of chargers by far

How about some details? what kind of shape is the car in? Body? mechanical?

What's your plan for the restoration? Do you want to just drop the whole car off and pick it up when its done? Are you planning on doing some of the assembly?

With my 67, I am not rich enough to have had a restoration shop do everything. So I stripped the car myself...I had a shop (Madsen auto restoration) do the metal work and paint the body/chassis, then I reassembled everything. Alot more work, but alot less cost since shops charge by the hour.

also to OP the car guys here love to see some pics. 68-69 chargers very cool years for that car.

'68 Dodge Charger RT. You're right, some shops do specialize.
Lolololoo ......I also have a 68 charger ( not an r/t) .......but you should really look into a shop in PA. Called Totally Auto inc .....Trumbauersville P.a ...215-322-2277

Any leads on a good Oldsmobile shop? Mom's '69 Cutlass Supreme convertible is just sitting in the garage.....
I would say that most shops should be able to handle an olds, even if thats not what they specialize in. what kind of shape is it in?

I should have also added.....

What is the plan for the car? Like my mustang...my goal was to make it look totally stock. Its not rebuilt with all ford parts, I have a good amount of reproduction parts....so if I wanted to enter it into some car show where they judge originality, its not going to do well....but I dont care about that crap.

1648474761565.png

Or do you maybe have plans to do some custom work? The guy who painted my car is excellent, but I wouldnt say he specializes in custom metal work....like say blue sky restorations in budd lake does.

I would say:

1. What kind of shape is this car in? Is the body a mess/underside a mess? Lot of rust? or does it just not run and needs mechanical restoration?
2. what do I want this car to be when its done
3. how much am I willing to spend?? Then double that number and your probably halfway there :)

@JPark love 68's, best year of chargers by far

How about some details? what kind of shape is the car in? Body? mechanical?

What's your plan for the restoration? Do you want to just drop the whole car off and pick it up when its done? Are you planning on doing some of the assembly?

With my 67, I am not rich enough to have had a restoration shop do everything. So I stripped the car myself...I had a shop (Madsen auto restoration) do the metal work and paint the body/chassis, then I reassembled everything. Alot more work, but alot less cost since shops charge by the hour.
Joe, I think I met you on the backside of Mt. Creek the day before that race last fall.

I originally bought the car around around 1990 when I was 18 and did some restoration work on my own. I then lived in a condo with no garage for years so I left it at my parents house. Out of sight out of mind, stopped driving it. And there it sat. But I held on to it, hoping some day I would be in a position to get it restored and keep it inside and that time has finally arrived!

It's a very original car. The 440 engine is original and has the original carb and exhaust manifolds. It even has the original "Dodge Solid State radio". 3 on the tree (but we all can't have a hemi with a 4 speed now can we?)
The body and interior would need to be completely redone however the engine was rebuilt but hasn't been started in over a decade so would need a little overhaul.
It's currently hemi orange but I would restore it back to the original yellow color with vinyl top (even though I think it looks better with no vinyl, I'd like to preserve it's value).

I don't plan to enter it into cars shows but I would like to maximize the resale value if/when I sold it.

I basically want to write someone a check and pick it up when it's done.

also to OP the car guys here love to see some pics. 68-69 chargers very cool years for that car.
2022-03-27-11-17-17-jpg.181756
2022-03-27 11.23.55.jpg2022-03-27 11.24.09.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-03-27 11.17.17.jpg
    2022-03-27 11.17.17.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 242
1. What kind of shape is this car in? Is the body a mess/underside a mess? Lot of rust? or does it just not run and needs mechanical restoration?
2. what do I want this car to be when its done
3. how much am I willing to spend?? Then double that number and your probably halfway there :)
Yes, those are the big questions. The Olds was mom's daily from 1969-1987. The frame is shot, associated body repairs are required, so new frame becomes a total rebuild. "If" this goes forward it will not be a show vehicle. The goal would be a driveable weekend car that looks like its original self, even a resto-mod. Hopefully something I wouldn't take to much of a bath on if ever sold. However and TBH, this would become my son's project, so if he sold it in like 20 years it's a totally different market anyway...

Back
Top Bottom