Clamming

kichibot

I'm thinking about trying clamming for the first time with @jumpa.

Does anyone know any good areas for some noobs around NJ? I did a quick google search and Barnegat Bay seems like a popular choice. We also can't swim so any where with minimal threat of drowning is A+!

Also, any tips and tricks? I would also trade @jumpa's amateur bike repair skills for borrowing any clamming tools ;) Just putting it out there..

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was hoping this thread would have much more of a wow factor.
giphy.gif

jumpa

@pooriggy is big into clamming, shoot him a PM, he can get you started!

saw you post up, was hopping it was more of the lines of "i got what you need, ill leave it for you on the corner by the sketchy bodega in paterson nj, tell them pearl sent you. proceed to initiate the secret handshake"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to go when I was a kid. We'd get like 500 between us all and have some big ass clam bakes after that. I've never seen clams the same after that because they're so incredibly expensive.

This post doesn't help you. IDK? Try Shop Rite?

giff06

I do believe you need a license for clamming in NJ. (What else is new??) Also I think there are designated, non polluted clamming areas specified. Not really a clammer but I do read the fish and game laws from time to time. They don't call me Mr Excitement for nothing ya know!

rick81721

Lothar
I seen clammers in the sandy hook bay.

Yeah I've seen those guys a lot with the big rakes and what looks like sails on their boats. I went clamming once on Cape Cod for steamers (soft shell clams) - they were great. Still have the clamming fork we bought to dig them out of the mud along a salt water creek.

YoBikeLady

I haven't gone in about 2 years but I used to go clamming alot in recent years in the eastern end of the Navesink. We would either access the river from the Rumson side or from Hartshorne. We would plan our trips around the tides since we would wade out to the middle of the river and make sure we were heading back in the shore before the tide came in too high. So, that usually gives you a couple hours out there if you head out an hour before low tide. You do have to get a recreational license online or at a bait/tackle shop. I think it only costs $10. You can only use a recreational license between November and April(when the water is colder and there is less bacteria). I think the limit is 100 clams a person and NJDEP wardens are known to come and count every clam you get. We would also drag a canoe or boogie board out to the middle of the river with us because it is very hard to carry that many clams back to shore.

Top Bottom