Chimney Rock Conditions

We got 6+ inches here. The park gets decent traffic thru there but not to the extent of other parks. I'd say it's possible for the trails around the Newmans Lane lot to be fat bike rideable but I'd think it will still be tough going. Anything on the other side of the park will most likely be out of the question.

Good luck

I've been riding there on and off all winter. I would say the snow that we've gotten in the last week is going to shut this place down for a little bit more. I can imagine it's going to be good by Sunday. The next week it's going to melt every single day and not freeze at night so even if you get a ride in it's probably borrowed time at best. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. If someone goes definitely post up how it is.

Rode all of Red, Lower Blue, and a loop of White from the Newman parking lot. Admittedly, I avoided some of the steeper trail sections. Yet, I was surprised to see good riding just about everywhere. Another rider mentioned that the snow wasn't crushed down much on Upper Blue; I didn't get out as far as Orange and Yellow.

The moist snow was for the most part grippy, and the conditions far exceeded my expectations. Don't know how long this goodness can last with the warm days ahead, but I would imagine that Sunday (at least) should still be a fun-fest!

Thanks for the report FitmanNJ. Were you riding fats? or normal 2.1-2.4 range? I might try CR tomorrow with my 2.3's. Might be a slogfest with this thaw. or get back down to the packed fun base we've had. If I go, I'll post up conditions.

Thanks for the report FitmanNJ. Were you riding fats? or normal 2.1-2.4 range? I might try CR tomorrow with my 2.3's. Might be a slogfest with this thaw. or get back down to the packed fun base we've had. If I go, I'll post up conditions.

I was riding a Fatboy with studded Dillinger5s, so I was packing a lot of grip (however, VERY few spots required studs today). On the other hand, my friend was riding a 26'er with unstudded 2.1" tires -- a little more slowly than me in general, with some washouts, but he was able to follow on all of the trails that I mentioned. I'd air-down your 2.3's a bit, and go for it!

Rode all of Red, Lower Blue, and a loop of White from the Newman parking lot. Admittedly, I avoided some of the steeper trail sections. Yet, I was surprised to see good riding just about everywhere. Another rider mentioned that the snow wasn't crushed down much on Upper Blue; I didn't get out as far as Orange and Yellow.

The moist snow was for the most part grippy, and the conditions far exceeded my expectations. Don't know how long this goodness can last with the warm days ahead, but I would imagine that Sunday (at least) should still be a fun-fest!
I was "the other rider" yesterday. Fitman's description is spot on. Upper blue and red need some more fat bikes. I was on my 29'r with knobby nicks and really low,pressure. Didn't try yellow or orange. Going to give it another shot today.

Walked the pups out there today. Where people have packed the snow, is now solid ice. Some portions are almost unwalkable. Hopefully saturdays rain will thaw it out a bit.

Took the road bike out and took a bunch of pics of where the roads cross the trails. 9 in all. It's just easier to link my Strava ride and look at it there because it geo-locates them:
https://www.strava.com/activities/269303765

Overall it's melting pretty quickly. Some of the trails are a mucky mess, but in a week from now they may almost be rideable.

Walked dog on yellow today and conditions are pretty bad.
Very little snow and ice, but lots of mud and standing water.
And sad to say, a couple sets of fresh tire ruts passing through all of it. :(

Thanks for ye olde reporte. Next week looks to be sub-freezing for maybe 3 straight overnights. Hopefully that helps.

Red surprisingly decent on Sunday morning, blue and white rideable but had to dismount a bunch of times around standing water. Still some crunchy ice but by next week will need to find somewhere else nearby or on the way home to ride. Plan to ride red and the others after work tomorrow

I'd suggest that frozen early morning is the only time to ride CR these days without inflicting major trail damage.
Sad to see so many people biking there mid-day in these fragile conditions.
:(

Well, on the bright side it's nice to see that it may almost be good to ride in the frozen morning timeframe. But I have to imagine that not all trails follow that rule? Maybe it's time for the Clapper (tm) Yellow Trail Repeats of Insanity?

I'd suggest that frozen early morning is the only time to ride CR these days without inflicting major trail damage.
Sad to see so many people biking there mid-day in these fragile conditions.
:(
I TOTALLY agree. The trails will be good to go in a week or two. Then we can ALL get out there and ride . Until then, STAY OFF - YOU ARE DAMAGING THE TRAILS! It's really bizarre to see that some people can't or won't understand this.

I TOTALLY agree. The trails will be good to go in a week or two. Then we can ALL get out there and ride . Until then, STAY OFF - YOU ARE DAMAGING THE TRAILS! It's really bizarre to see that some people can't or won't understand this.

Not trying to be snarky at all here but do you think the people riding when trails can be damaged are looking at this thread? You're preaching to the choir - and shouting

Not trying to be snarky at all here but do you think the people riding when trails can be damaged are looking at this thread? You're preaching to the choir - and shouting

You're not wrong, but every now and then you'll educate a person or two on it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions