Chimney Rock Conditions

I'm going to play devil's advocate and disagree that it's mostly good. Of what I rode, I'd say it was 50-60% good. I kept pressing on looking for the good conditions, but it was not what I expected. The climb up orange was slick, coming down yellow there was a lot of standing water, and a bunch of squishy areas in between, including the top of high tech. The rest of the top of yellow and all of the smaller segments out in that area were in pretty good shape.

Location of the tree down on yellow
Screenshot_20231215-132958~2.png

I thought with the decent weather. The park would be OK enough to session Yellow & Orange, but never even made it that far. I pulled the trigger about 30 seconds into the ride from the gravel lot as tires were caked with mud.

I’m sure some of the park is likely ok, but I didn’t want to take the chance knowing I would likely run into similar areas.

Now I have to either wait for constant temps below freezing or Spring ☹️

There was enough OK trail in between the shitty spots to keep me looking, but all in all I agree.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and disagree that it's mostly good. Of what I rode, I'd say it was 50-60% good. I kept pressing on looking for the good conditions, but it was not what I expected. The climb up orange was slick, coming down yellow there was a lot of standing water, and a bunch of squishy areas in between, including the top of high tech. The rest of the top of yellow and all of the smaller segments out in that area were in pretty good shape.

Location of the tree down on yellow
View attachment 229257
Ur guess
1000004391-01.jpeg
Saturday afternoon?

If you can get out early enough, things were nice and crispy w/ not too many wet spots. For the most part, those wet spots were very rocky fall lines where we're not doing any damage to the trail. That said, even by mid-morning things were starting to get shiny in the sun, no doubt they're peanut buttery by now. Will be going elsewhere tomorrow as can't get out early.

Problem spots:
  • bridge on lower blue washed aside
  • small tree down on gravel road from white towards chimney rock road (no pic, hand saw can get it, I didn't have one)
  • small tree down on high tech, again hand saw can handle
    • part of the lead into high tech (the non-switchback side) was swampy AF even early
  • small tree down on upper red, again hand saw material
  • the previously reported tree on yellow switchbacks looks be be cleared
Would avoid blue (unless you OK w/ that bridge out then small loop I did was fine) and white still. Would also avoid yellow as the bottom half of both luge and main vein were icy rivers (probably just rivers now).

Screenshot_20231221-141822.png

PXL_20231221_170901818.jpg

hi tech tree
PXL_20231221_175834656.jpg

red tree
PXL_20231221_184053075.jpg

For anyone who’s been following along on the IG feed you know that we’ve been doing some amazing shit at Cromwell this week. We’ll be back out there again tomorrow.

If you want to come help we’d love to have you. Please send @Kirt or myself a DM for details.

For anyone who’s been following along on the IG feed you know that we’ve been doing some amazing shit at Cromwell this week. We’ll be back out there again tomorrow.

If you want to come help we’d love to have you. Please send @Kirt or myself a DM for details.
What time? I have some morning stuff to do but could get there around 11?

Conditions are horrible, we need some subfreezing temperatures. But the work done at Cromwell is excellent. Thank you MTBNJ and High Tech Landscapes for all the work that you have done at the park through the years. Happy Holidays to all.

my back yard is pretty dry today. Any chance these trails are dried up enough for a New Year’s Eve ride today?

I would guess not great in general. If you park at Miller's Lane and stick to yellow and maybe orange, you should be ok. Red/white/blue will probably be as expected. Personally I decided to skip it today & tomorrow. Early morning Tuesday looks like it will be the most (possibly) frozen.

I am heading over to scope out the next Cromwell session this morning. I can report back but IME Cromwell is a bit different than much of the rest of the park.

my back yard is pretty dry today. Any chance these trails are dried up enough for a New Year’s Eve ride today?
I'm guessing still a bit wet, which trails you planning to hit? Planning to give it a run in the afternoon but may end up short if not good

Trails are a mess. Some sections are fine but most had long stretches of wtf. Red was actually the best out of what I rode. Kept saying that this section is bad but the rest should be good cause it usually is. 😌

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231_152946_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_152946_Strava.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 60
Guessing the Jan/Feb Wednesday hunting season has begun? Drove by and saw the lot closed w/ a couple of ranger pickups parked.

Lunchtime ride today, conditions better than expected. Only did red and blue, per the map below. A couple of soft spots here and there but overall very rideable.

Red mostly good, would avoid lower interior as first third or so (form Newman's side) is swampy. Blue from Trulo connector down to that little creek is a river. Switchbacks are a swamp, would avoid. Rest good.

Thanks to whoever(s) replaced the bridge on lower blue, forgot it was out until I was coming up to it, thankfully it was back haha.

The bridge on upper blue that was redone earlier this year has finally been hit with more erosion:
PXL_20240104_173239255.jpg

Tree down on blue interior (x on map):
PXL_20240104_174053184.jpg

share_1802728400891018178.png

Planning to squeeze in another work day at the camp tomorrow if anyone is around a wants to help out for a bit. Reach out for details if you can swing it.

Where and when? I might be able to make it.
Pull into camp, drive straight and look for large building on your left. We should be parked behind it. We will either be working above the parking area or on the trails west of that.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions