Chimney Rock Conditions

yesterday (BEFORE the rain) things were WAY sloppier than they were thursday morning...think that freeze/thaw cycle is making spots that were good greasy....

the worst spots from thursday that had running water (mostly fall lines) were surprisingly mostly dry yesterday....but the new sections of grease sent me home WAY muddier, and I did one-third the miles!

and then of course it rained
Yep, slop fest out from the ball field lots. Rode for 5 minutes then left for Rutgers eco preserve. Might be interesting mid week when temps dip

It was cold as hell this morning but everything is frozen and rideable. Probably stays that way till the sun hits it.
meant to get out this morn before the thaw but, well, WORK...hoping for tomorrow morn...seems like afternoon rides during this cold spell would be slopfests at best

meant to get out this morn before the thaw but, well, WORK...hoping for tomorrow morn...seems like afternoon rides during this cold spell would be slopfests at best
did half of blue and most of red, got out while still below freezing, bit like @26''_Ripper pointed out, the spots getting direct sun were already softening

worst 2 spots were from trulo connector down to that tiny creek crossing, it was a river, and first quarter or so of lower red interior (entering from newman's side), was an absolute mess

smallish (6"-8" diameter) tree down across that bridge right off the trulo connector...can't get there today, hoping to get it tomorrow, will take longer to walk to it than to cut it

larger tree (>12", pic below, red arrow roughly marks the spot, not sure why trailforks had me off trail)...not sure when i could get to it, also not sure my saw big enough to handle it

Screenshot_20231130-123512.png

PXL_20231130_155245986.jpg

smallish (6"-8" diameter) tree down across that bridge right off the trulo connector...can't get there today, hoping to get it tomorrow, will take longer to walk to it than to cut it

larger tree (>12", pic below, red arrow roughly marks the spot, not sure why trailforks had me off trail)...not sure when i could get to it, also not sure my saw big enough to handle it

----------------

both tree cleared, pic of bigger one below

PXL_20231201_191127660.jpg

Still a mess?
Short answer: messy in spots, but at least to me plenty rideable. Way more good than bad.

Long answer: Didn't get out until after 3PM so had to cut ride shorter than intended. Thoughts below:
  • Avoid white altogether
  • Red is mostly good but would avoid lower interior
  • I suspect blue mostly good (except for lower) based on what I rode and what's usually good/bad
  • Orange is probably mostly good, but the circled section is very wet
Tree down top of red, easy enough to ride over, soon as work life imbalance and sunlight permit I'll knock it out.

On white, right on the little plank "bridge" right by the pallet "bridge" there is a huge stump wrapped in who knows what. Looks like someone pushed it aside enough to be able to ride by w/o issue, but that's gonna need cleanup.

Even tho there are spots I didn't ride, based on other spots and how they usually are I think those areas are mostly a go.

Screenshot_20231213-184229.png

Short answer: messy in spots, but at least to me plenty rideable. Way more good than bad.

Long answer: Didn't get out until after 3PM so had to cut ride shorter than intended. Thoughts below:
  • Avoid white altogether
  • I suspect blue mostly good (except for lower) based on what I rode and what's usually good/bad
Tree down top of red, easy enough to ride over, soon as work life imbalance and sunlight permit I'll knock it out.

On white, right on the little plank "bridge" right by the pallet "bridge" there is a huge stump wrapped in who knows what. Looks like someone pushed it aside enough to be able to ride by w/o issue, but that's gonna need cleanup.

Even tho there are spots I didn't ride, based on other spots and how they usually are I think those areas are mostly a go.

View attachment 229193
Great, looks like I have a place to ride tomorrow

• Avoid white altogether

View attachment 229193
Update, rode rest of orange today and was as good as expected.

BUT, was wrong about my assumption about blue. All this year the switchbacks coming down the far side towards the interior entrance were in good shape even after heavy rain. So even tho not doing them yesterday I assumed they'd be fine.

It's absolute a$$. Other than the small section of blue I did yesterday, would say avoid blue along w/ avoiding white. I repeat, blue was a$$.

I thought with the decent weather. The park would be OK enough to session Yellow & Orange, but never even made it that far. I pulled the trigger about 30 seconds into the ride from the gravel lot as tires were caked with mud.

I’m sure some of the park is likely ok, but I didn’t want to take the chance knowing I would likely run into similar areas.

Now I have to either wait for constant temps below freezing or Spring ☹️

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions