Chimney Rock Conditions

Heads up for Wednesday 5/10/23

A prescribed burn has been planned for tomorrow (5/10/23) at Washington Valley Park. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service will be on site at 8:00am and the burn will begin at approximately 10:00am. The Newmans Lane parking lot will be closed tonight at 8:00pm and remain closed tomorrow. The burn will begin near Logan Drive and will expand over the day towards Chimney Rock Road. Expect smoke. Please be cautious driving around Washington Valley Park. This activity is an action to measure the effects of fire on invasive plant species as part of a New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and United States Forest Fire Service research project.

Heads up for Wednesday 5/10/23

A prescribed burn has been planned for tomorrow (5/10/23) at Washington Valley Park. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service will be on site at 8:00am and the burn will begin at approximately 10:00am. The Newmans Lane parking lot will be closed tonight at 8:00pm and remain closed tomorrow. The burn will begin near Logan Drive and will expand over the day towards Chimney Rock Road. Expect smoke. Please be cautious driving around Washington Valley Park. This activity is an action to measure the effects of fire on invasive plant species as part of a New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and United States Forest Fire Service research project.
They are burning again today 5/11. Newman’s Lane lot is closed.

They are burning again today 5/11. Newman’s Lane lot is closed.
You beat me to it, just did a few laps on blue and saw all the road signs and closed parking lot.

FWIW blue in great shape, outside of the trullo connector which should be deemed a FEMA environmental disaster.

So I came upon this mess on yellow during yesterday morning’s ride. It sucked seeing it. I went back in the afternoon to try and fill in some of the holes so no one could possibly get hurt. Not easy as there is little dirt to be had nearby and the rocks end up moving a lot if using as fill. Did the best I could with limited time and tools. Believe it or not, on the way back to the lot, I come upon the guy doing it as he is removing more. He sees me and instantly takes off, clearly knowing what he is doing is wrong. I get up to Gilbride and see him head into black. I waited for a bit to see if he would come out, he didn’t. I decided to take a walk in to see if I could find him to talk. I get to the 1st trail crossing and he is sitting on a log, just hanging, hoping I was gone. The second he sees me, he takes off again. Didn’t get to discuss anything with him but I know what he looks like and what he rides (no helmet, so easy to recognize again). I probably scared him off for a bit, but you never know. So if you are there riding, please take an extra lap or 2 in that area to hopefully keep him from causing more issues.

I'll add, there are more than what is shown in pics.

Thanks

IMG_9641.jpg
IMG_9644.jpg
IMG_9645.jpg
IMG_9646.jpg
IMG_9648.jpg
IMG_9651.jpg

You beat me to it, just did a few laps on blue and saw all the road signs and closed parking lot.

FWIW blue in great shape, outside of the trullo connector which should be deemed a FEMA environmental disaster.
I received the tentative ok to move that Tullo trail head/connector up hill a bit. Hopefully this fall.

Will Newman’s lot be open tomorrow?
They don't let the park people know until very last mintue. I would think they are finished for now, unless they didn't accomplish enough. Won't know for sure until the morning.

WTF? Did he think removing the rocks will smooth it out?

So the cones were still up blocking the lot late tonight. They were up last night too. I assume if they are done they would remove them but we’ll see.

Page was updated yesterday morning, which suggests lot will be closed today.

Hoping the statement was actually created Wednesday evening and the closure referred to Thursday. Haven't been able to get out to check yet.

So I came upon this mess on yellow during yesterday morning’s ride. It sucked seeing it. I went back in the afternoon to try and fill in some of the holes so no one could possibly get hurt. Not easy as there is little dirt to be had nearby and the rocks end up moving a lot if using as fill. Did the best I could with limited time and tools. Believe it or not, on the way back to the lot, I come upon the guy doing it as he is removing more. He sees me and instantly takes off, clearly knowing what he is doing is wrong. I get up to Gilbride and see him head into black. I waited for a bit to see if he would come out, he didn’t. I decided to take a walk in to see if I could find him to talk. I get to the 1st trail crossing and he is sitting on a log, just hanging, hoping I was gone. The second he sees me, he takes off again. Didn’t get to discuss anything with him but I know what he looks like and what he rides (no helmet, so easy to recognize again). I probably scared him off for a bit, but you never know. So if you are there riding, please take an extra lap or 2 in that area to hopefully keep him from causing more issues.

I'll add, there are more than what is shown in pics.

Thanks

View attachment 213403View attachment 213404View attachment 213405View attachment 213406View attachment 213408View attachment 213409
Is this considered vandalism?
In some weird way.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions