Chimney Rock Conditions

I walked a bit of upper blue yesterday (monday) around noon. There was standing water in the bad spots,
and some water running down the trail in others.
It was better than I expected overall.

Nassau would be a better choice.

Note how trail is dry upper-middle of pic - except where embedded sticks are holding the water in, and is now rutted.....
I pulled one out, will eventually get the others.

IMG_4196.JPG

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning before the rain?
All of white was really good this afternoon.

Avoid lower inner red, it’s awful. Rest of red fine with the following caveats. Lower red wet spots but not standing water, just the usual spots where the water runs down from up high. Plenty rideable. Usual spots on climb up from lot a mess.

Blue climb up Newman’s side quite a few spots of standing water. Lower blue past the newly placed bridge about 10-20 yard long puddle. But the top, ride down the twisties to inner trail, and both inner trails very good shape.

Not sure if you can realistically put together a route avoiding all those trouble spots, but you can probably minimize hitting some of them.

FWIW the newly cut trails in blue off Newman’s looking good.

Forgot to mention, newly placed bridge on lower blue, already some massive tire track ruts on the little dirt ramp up onto surface. Was firm today, guessing those happened Sunday or Monday.

Forgot to mention, newly placed bridge on lower blue, already some massive tire track ruts on the little dirt ramp up onto surface. Was firm today, guessing those happened Sunday or Monday.
Pic today of the ruts on the new bridge ramp
PXL_20230426_172824067.jpg

RED and BLUE, other than the circled spots (expected standing water & mud bog) much better condition compared to yesterday (except for lower inner red, better but still sux).

Screenshot_20230426-162947 1.png

Here's a look at lower blue just past the newly placed bridge, this is coming off bridge going back towards Newman's. A lot better than yesterday but still a mess.

PXL_20230426_172847223.jpg

It’s the builder that won the bid. They’re not done yet. No idea what the company name is but they’re not trail builders by trade. Did I mention they’re not done yet?
from https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ater-will-be-doing-next-year-at-camp-cromwell

Using a $350,000 grant from Somerset County, the township has agreed to pay $598,100 to Earthworks, of Farmingdale, for improvements to the park the township acquired in 2017 from the Boys Club of New York.

Rode CR (Red, Orange, Yellow, White and Black trails) on Wed. (4/26) evening. Martinsville had 1.5 inches of rain on previous Saturday. Surprisingly Trails are still slick with all the normal muddy spots and then some.
Also, Big tree down on climb up to Chimney Rock Road & Gilbride intersection. Its difficult to climb over so better to avoid for now.

Last edited:
Last Friday morning was garbage day. Sometimes when we drag the bin back from the road, we don't bother putting the top on. Since Friday, the top has been off. This morning, I went to throw a bag of garbage from the kitchen into it, it was full of water from the rain this past weekend. Not joking when I say it was at least 5" deep, maybe more. We're about 4 miles from CR

It's gonna be a bit before it dries out, is my point.

Anyone been able to scout out the conditons?
Flattish parts of my property (top of red and blue) are still quite soggy, so haven't even bothered. If I get the chance later today may take doggo on a hike to see how filthy she gets.

Flattish parts of my property (top of red and blue) are still quite soggy, so haven't even bothered. If I get the chance later today may take doggo on a hike to see how filthy she gets.
I thought abt giving it a shot during lunch but figured waiting another day or two would be the safer bet.

I thought abt giving it a shot during lunch but figured waiting another day or two would be the safer bet.
Never did make it ther for the doggo hike as, yeah you guessed, just started coming down pretty good here.
80CF7832-B21C-421A-BE6C-E8D304396CC4.png

• Sad
Reactions: rlb
Didn't really get that much for that long fortunately. We got about the same amount overnight too
I might disagree there. Was on rt22 in BW, right below the quarry, and it was dumping. Hard enough that traffic was almost stopped. Huge puddles on the sides too. I’m sure it will affect the trails for the weekend.

I might disagree there. Was on rt22 in BW, right below the quarry, and it was dumping. Hard enough that traffic was almost stopped. Huge puddles on the sides too. I’m sure it will affect the trails for the weekend.

Weird, I live right at 22 & Vosseller and it wasn't nearly that bad. One things for sure, this weather has been lame!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions