Checking pressure

goodvibe

I can only usually gestimate the pressure in my tires because the pumps I have, the gauge usually jumps right to 10. I try to get about 8 psi in my fat bike tires. I was wondering if you can suggest a low-pressure gauge that I can use to dial in my tire pressure.

I can only usually gestimate the pressure in my tires because the pumps I have, the gauge usually jumps right to 10. I try to get about 8 psi in my fat bike tires. I was wondering if you can suggest a low-pressure gauge that I can use to dial in my tire pressure.

The atv guys run similar pressures. Quick google search found me some on amazon, jegs, or summit racing. I used to have a pencil type but dunno what happened to it. I modified one of those little schreader to presta inflator adapters to use with a normal schraeder gauge. LBS might have something presta...
Or:
http://fatbikes.com/meiser-low-pressure-guage.html

Accu-Gage 0-30psi works fine. I have it and the Topeak digital and the Accu-Gage is cheaper and more reliable. No battery to replace, either.

Specialized now makes an MTB specific pump that shows single PSI marks on the guage, it's pretty cool. Otherwise, any auto parts store will have a low pressure guage. I bought one at the Auto Zone behind my crib that only goes to 10 PSI...

-Jim.

I've been using the SKS Airchecker for the last year and have been really happy with it. Tiny, still on the factory installed battery after many, many uses, and really simple. Admittedly, I'm not getting down into fat bike pressures, but have been able to keep things tight 'round the 24-32 psi range.

I think I will try the Accu-gauge. I will just have to figure out where to get one. All of the places I have looked online mentioned that it is not available. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Sometimes the best gauge is a good push on the bars or a squeeze of the hand. After all, it's the ground-feel that matters, not the number.

Alternatively you can lock the brakes and compress the tire on a 2x4/rock/curb to check rim protection.

We don't need no stinkin' gauges...

Tom P.

Back
Top Bottom