Chain cleaning with uitrasonic cleaner ?

GTECH

Has anyone ever removed drive chain and put in an ultrasonic clean ? I use one at work to clean internal parts from carbs . any input would be helpful.
if so what did you use for a cleaning solution. thanks

Carbs? Do you work in a time machine? :D
And by that I mean can you fix the carb on my XL300 ;)

I wouldn't use it on a chain, because it'll probably get water too far in there. Use it on the cassette though. Those plastic chain cleaning wheel thingies actually work freaking awesome, I just put some simple green in there and the chain looks brand new. I bet that's bad for it too though. haha.

I put my chain in my ultrasonic cleaner. I fill it with either simple green or some degreaser. After it comes out I place it on a dry rag and blow dry it with the compressor. Then I re-oil it. I find it works great with my hollow pin chains.

I have a holley 750 that could use a rebuild, give me your chain and I give you my carb :)

Try using an old water bottle. Add some citrus degreaser and shake like mad. Rinse with hot water.

What ultrasonic cleaners are you guys using? I was thinking of picking up the cheap Harbor Freight one just to try.

I've used simple green for cleaning chains but apparently it's not good for them because of corrosion issues (high sodium content or something to that effect).

I soaked a chain in it over night and it came out with corrosion marks. I was surprised since I've done this to several chains and this was the first time it happened. There are pictures of chain plates cracked at the pins, which I can only assume is caused from corrosion around the pin effectively increasing the pin diameter.

Try mineral spirits, it's about the same price and works just as well in my limited experience.

Utah and I have the $80 2.5L H.F. ultrasonic cleaner, not the $30 one.

Also, Simple Green makes an "extreme" flavor which is designed to be non-corrosive for aircraft cleaning. I have used the regular Simple Green but I take care to remove quickly and rinse/dry parts afterwards.

the ultrasonic cleaner I use at work is large unit to clean inline four motorcycle carbs. still a lot of motorcycles out there that have carbs. we also have the 80 dollar harbor freight ones that we use for smaller items the harbor freight ones work well.

Back
Top Bottom