Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

In auto pilot mode, I can't keep my hands off the steering wheel for more then 20 -30 seconds before the car alerts me. If I don't respond, auto pilot disengages and the car starts to slow down.
Honda does this as well with LKA and ACC. Bonus for me = ICE.

If the Forbes article carries any weight I'd say it's less the car but the owners. A large number of Tesla owners are not car people and prioritize safely, low maintenance, and ease of operation. I had one owner state "the car just went off the road" and while discussing the incident it was clear he hydroplaned in the rain and lost control. The customer didn't know what the word hydroplaned meant. These are not folks who spent their teen years learning car control by doing donuts in snowy parking lots.

Add to this the cars are heavy and powerful, wearing out tires at an accelerated rate. Since they do not require periodic maintenance like oil changes (Tesla recommends tire rotations however that's easily ignored and also hard to schedule) nobody is really looking at wear items that often. So you have a fleet of heavy, powerful, indifferently maintained vehicles, many of them rear wheel drive, being driven in a large part by unskilled drivers. The stat does not shock me.

If the Forbes article carries any weight I'd say it's less the car but the owners. A large number of Tesla owners are not car people and prioritize safely, low maintenance, and ease of operation. I had one owner state "the car just went off the road" and while discussing the incident it was clear he hydroplaned in the rain and lost control. The customer didn't know what the word hydroplaned meant. These are not folks who spent their teen years learning car control by doing donuts in snowy parking lots.

Add to this the cars are heavy and powerful, wearing out tires at an accelerated rate. Since they do not require periodic maintenance like oil changes (Tesla recommends tire rotations however that's easily ignored and also hard to schedule) nobody is really looking at wear items that often. So you have a fleet of heavy, powerful, indifferently maintained vehicles, many of them rear wheel drive, being driven in a large part by unskilled drivers. The stat does not shock me.
A Tesla probably more than any other car should have some good maintenance reminders. Should be easy to track if someone hits "Ignore" if the big screen in the middle is saying HEY YOU NEED TO ROTATE YOUR TIRES, IT'S BEEN 10K MILES.

@extremedave I don’t know what Forbes article you are referring to but that sounds like an opinion piece. 9/10 people aren’t car people and everyone drives like shit in rain or snow. Even dumb mechanics can put the outside of the tire on the inside. The problem is we (well in NJ) there aren’t enough regulations for a safety inspection and any car can be on the road from bald tires to hoarders that can only see out two windows.

Last edited:
Nah, nothing. But I live without the premium connectivity. You still get all software and GPS updates. You still get full map and GPS with traffic reroute. Just no satellite image or traffic colors. But sometimes GPS is wonky. 1/2 the time I pull up my phone to double check the traffic congestion and route.

Tesla software and supercharger is what beats the competition and at this moment I would say service. And that’s electric car service. Maybe 1/10 techs at a traditional ICE dealer will be trained to work on your E car. Plus Tesla mobile service for small things work well and fast.

No doubt times have changed on the market value new and used but considering gas saved and barely any service on my 75k 2018 model 3. I’ve basically leased it for 5 years and intend to keep it for another 7 ish years to hand me down to kid. It’s a great car and at 35k new it’s excellent. Yes we are driving around a fast phone but it makes driving a car a simpler and more convenient task than ICE.

Last edited:
Screenshot from Tesla. Maybe it’s your nav setting or delay settings? Sometimes it has to be significant delay. Like I said, Tesla maps is wonky sometimes but rarely.
IMG_6254.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom