Carbon Bear Grease

D'Oh

All you Fatty lovers out there I just want to share an experience I just had.
Up till this week I have Always wanted a Fat bike, but never committed into buying one, due to, I felt that they handled like a boat/tank... They felt heavy, hard to wheelie, and gave you a hell of a work out.... Yet I had a huge smile every time I rode one! There is something about them that keeps you wanting more...
At the Halter's Salsa demo I went there Specifically to ride the new Spearfish (great bike), but I ended taking out the Bear grease first.. cause Jay saw me pull in and started getting the Fatty ready for me... I am thinking it was just another lead sled with a steep price. I have rode several different brand/sizes/setup on these Fat bike, cause like I said earlier I been wanting one for a while.. and I had the same complete with all of them.

Well here is what happened...
Upon my first pedal stroke I realized I was not on a regular Fat Bike, the front end felt light, the bike lunged forward, it had a nice snappy feel to it. I pushed the bike hard through the park at 6 mile, took every line that was harder, leaned the bike over as far as I could - had pedal strikes all over the place, due to the fact I was riding like I was possessed by the Mountain Bike Gods (I figured "ride it like I stole it") did the log ride, bunny hopped the logs shot over the root like they were not there, and on the way back hit the ramp heading to the parking lot on 27 and at that moment in air; with the wind in my hair and the quietness of being airborne .... I felt the same love that I felt when I held my daughter for the first time! A few hundredth of seconds later I felt my ass pucker cause I was going to wipe out but somehow I made it to the top of the hill after the sketchy landing.. the next 5 minutes to the car were the best minutes I ever had on a bike I was one with the Carbon Bear Grease.... If you have not been a fan of Fat Bike this is the one to ride!!!!!!!!! Thanks Jay
So I am starting a collection to help Gabe get his true love back. Would anyone like to contribute to a guy that has to many bikes and is a "Legend in his own mind":D

There are quite a few worthy contenders in the carbon fatbike market all of a sudden. Borealis, 907, and Fatback all have announced carbon bikes coming out this fall. Borealis just posted a pic of a 21lb bike with their own branded carbon fat rims:
http://fat-bike.com/2013/09/new-borealis-carbondale-rims/

Unlike the Beargrease, some of them can fit 4.8" tires. Personally, I don't feel the need for the 4.8's, but they might come in handy on the beach or if it ever snows around here.

The beargrease steering was the best I felt so far... But I agree it is heavy compared with others that have been seeing.

I rode it. . . and it is awesome. I have a Mukluk and I hopped on the Fatbike craze one year too early. The new Beargrease is awesome!

I went to the Halter's Demo Day. I parked in South Bound Brook and rode my aluminum 29er to the Demo day at the Route 27 lot. I had one goal, to take out the Carbon Beargrease. Let me tell you, it was awesome. It was lighter than my Santa Cruz Highball and was twice as stiff. It handled and pedaled more supplely than my 29er and was more stable as well. Cornering, going over obstacles, and the efficiency of the bike was overwhelming. I am thinking of selling my Fat Bike, my all mountain bike and picking up a new Beargrease!

I loved this bike. Never rode a fat bike before and it was nothing like what I expected. I didn't want to give it back. I was expecting to be slogging through the woods and it was the total opposite. Super fun, a shame I crashed it but it made it through unscathed, I hope.

I demo'd the beargrease in Kittatinny last week and loved it. First time on a fat bike and I would have bought one on the spot if I could have. It's a little pricey for me, so looking at all my options. Aside from beargrease it seems most Salsa, Surly, 9zero7, etc., are mostly geared toward touring. I'd like to have something geared toward trails.

Have you looked at the Trek or Specialized specs? Blasphemy? All of these fat bike frames are made in Asia, so I really don't care whose name is on my bike. I just want something relatively light and fast. Looks like Trek took a 29er frame and modified it for fat tires. I'm not sure if that's just a cheap way for them to get into the market, or, if it's actually a smart way to bring a totally trail designed option out there, or maybe both. Thoughts?

http://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...boyFatboyExpert/1215-14FatBoy-14FatboyFatboy/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...ikes/mountain/singletrack_trail/farley/Farley

I have not had the pleasure of riding any other 2014 fat bike. I can tell you that the way that the carbon bear grease rode was like no other. It felt like a 29'r in the way it steered! It was not like last year bear grease at all. It was amazing! Maybe Jim had a chance to ride some of the other 2014 and he can chime in on this.

I demo'd the beargrease in Kittatinny last week and loved it. First time on a fat bike and I would have bought one on the spot if I could have. It's a little pricey for me, so looking at all my options. Aside from beargrease it seems most Salsa, Surly, 9zero7, etc., are mostly geared toward touring. I'd like to have something geared toward trails.

Have you looked at the Trek or Specialized specs? Blasphemy? All of these fat bike frames are made in Asia, so I really don't care whose name is on my bike. I just want something relatively light and fast. Looks like Trek took a 29er frame and modified it for fat tires. I'm not sure if that's just a cheap way for them to get into the market, or, if it's actually a smart way to bring a totally trail designed option out there, or maybe both. Thoughts?

http://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...boyFatboyExpert/1215-14FatBoy-14FatboyFatboy/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...ikes/mountain/singletrack_trail/farley/Farley

Plenty of US built fat frames out there if that's important to you.
http://fat-bike.com/ has a list of of all the fatbike companies on their home page. You could always go full custom and copy the Beargrease geometry.

Back
Top Bottom