Car-spotting thread

I dont know about drinking or drugs...but this is a 3400lb..(NOT 4400 like the new hellcat) 720hp 1970 cuda with no computer nannies to save your ass.......im quite certain it is very easy for something like this to get away from you.
Not to mention that it was on Mulholland drive. A road so infamous that it got a song written about it.

I love the first line

It’s a replica, but most people are completely fooled.

its really not that hard to spot a replica...its actually REALLY easy. I mean start with the fact true original cobras are almost NEVER driven around. And I dont mean the shelby licensed recreations that you can still buy. They are great cars and probably better than the originals...but they arent VALUABLE like the originals....Big difference driving around a $100,000 car and a car worth $1 million or alot more (depending on which cobra it was). Best way to tell a real original cobra....it will look 50+ years old...definitely wont have 17in wheels on it :)

I love the first line

It’s a replica, but most people are completely fooled.

its really not that hard to spot a replica...its actually REALLY easy. I mean start with the fact true original cobras are almost NEVER driven around. And I dont mean the shelby licensed recreations that you can still buy. They are great cars and probably better than the originals...but they arent VALUABLE like the originals....Big difference driving around a $100,000 car and a car worth $1 million or alot more (depending on which cobra it was). Best way to tell a real original cobra....it will look 50+ years old...definitely wont have 17in wheels on it :)

Haha yeah I use this criteria for determing real from replica - if you see one on the road or at a car show, it's a replica

Haha yeah I use this criteria for determing real from replica - if you see one on the road or at a car show, it's a replica
Another rule of thumb: if it has sidepipes, it's not original. They made less than 50 IIRC.

I saw an original 260 or 289 Cobra out near Hartshorne while driving my Factory Five many years ago.

Another rule of thumb: if it has sidepipes, it's not original. They made less than 50 IIRC.

I saw an original 260 or 289 Cobra out near Hartshorne while driving my Factory Five many years ago.

Ya the street versions didnt have sidepipes, but they did make ~80 or so 427 S/C cars with sidepipes....Then of course there were the 289 FIA Cobras, they had sidepipes (although not street car, but originals) Plus cobras were handbuilt and there were many subtle differences between each one. Some customers wanted sidepipes, some got 428s instead of 427s...

If I saw one just driving around or parked at a random car show, id call bullshit until I read the chassis #....about 60,000 replica cobras have been sold....348 original 427 cobras were made.

In the “holy crap, I didn’t think any of those were left file” I saw a Subaru Justy this morning as I was getting off the t-pike.
Didn’t look in too bad shape either. No pic but it was just like this one.View attachment 104568
I remember when I was in HS a girl I knew had one of these and used to let me drive it....it had a cvt...dear god all of these need to be rounded up and crushed.

In the “holy crap, I didn’t think any of those were left file” I saw a Subaru Justy this morning as I was getting off the t-pike.
Didn’t look in too bad shape either. No pic but it was just like this one.View attachment 104568Love the “4WD” decals to match the tiny ass tires!

Those skinny tires work phenomenally well through the snow, they cut right through it. I had a Dodge Omni, another incredible piece of shit, with skinny tires that was supernatural in the snow, it’s only redeeming attribute. I’d say round them up and crush them too, but pretty sure nature already beat me too it and they’re all piles of red dust by now.

Those skinny tires work phenomenally well through the snow, they cut right through it. I had a Dodge Omni, another incredible piece of shit, with skinny tires that was supernatural in the snow, it’s only redeeming attribute. I’d say round them up and crush them too, but pretty sure nature already beat me too it and they’re all piles of red dust by now.

The base models are balls of shit, but you can't sleep on the Omni turbo model.

https://jalopnik.com/for-11-500-this-1986-shelby-dodge-could-let-you-go-li-1760549422

The boys at Bimmer Clinic/Maximum PSI in South Amboy have an Omni and they are aiming for 500 whp.

The base models are balls of shit, but you can't sleep on the Omni turbo model.

https://jalopnik.com/for-11-500-this-1986-shelby-dodge-could-let-you-go-li-1760549422

The boys at Bimmer Clinic/Maximum PSI in South Amboy have an Omni and they are aiming for 500 whp.

The platform of the car is complete garbage, its like Chrysler had a mountain of spare parts left-over from their worst 80’s cars, parked a group of engineers in front, and said “make a car out of this”. I will concede though, that Omni Turbo can be a serious sleeper.

Funny story about the “sleeper”. Couple of years ago I was driving home East on 17 from my favorite fishing spot in the Catskills around midnight. As you get to the tolls around Woodbury Commons, 17 merges onto 87 South through a wicked decreasing radius right after the tolls. As I went through the tolls, a guy in a worked Omni Turbo glues himself to the back of my S4 (I could hear his blow-off valve working). Car was fast, could have probably blown by me. Needless to say, we were both going way too fast into that right-hander. I manage to 4-wheel drift through it, but he lifts right before the apex, loses the back, and goes into a crazy series of “tank slapper” corrections. Amazingly, he doesn’t hit the wall, but immediately throws out the boat anchor, game over. I would imagine he was probably pretty shaken up after that, because I was from just watching it.

One of the less than 50;

Attachments

• FF6AF5E2-6055-4E2A-9325-00D1519C6319.jpeg
    FF6AF5E2-6055-4E2A-9325-00D1519C6319.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CA4A86B4-0A1F-4C5F-81F2-A903C7CF8B17.jpeg
    CA4A86B4-0A1F-4C5F-81F2-A903C7CF8B17.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 26

Attachments

• 34EBB3FE-EE8D-45F7-83D4-786337E745BE.jpeg
    34EBB3FE-EE8D-45F7-83D4-786337E745BE.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18