Camping at Allaire

kjarrett

There's some riding right in the campground you were in as well. Nothing spectacular but if you wanted to get in a few miles w/o hitting the streets, you could.
Thanks, I actually explored there a tiny bit, started on the Upper Squankum Trail, but turned back when I saw what looked like a seldom-used trail with waist-high grass (read: ticks).

Karate Monkey

@kjarrett on the recommendation of a co-worker years ago, I started using sun sleeves/legs. They are noticeably hotter (emphasis on noticeably...that is: not detrimentally) when it is humid, but I haven't suffered from bad chigger/tick bites in years. One or two might get through, but it's nice to be able to give a quick brush and get 99% of them.

IMO, long, unkempt grass is more detrimental to the derailleur than you. I usually ride the single speed through Brisbane/etc during the 'off' season, and the handful of times I haven't have resulted in derailleur damage.

kjarrett

Wow I've never heard of sun sleeves. I can see how they'd help but also how they'd probably be crazy hot from my perspective. Thanks for sharing though!

So, long grass can get caught up in the derailleur? Mine usually catches sticks...

Attachments

• 139595653_315803449813837_5420395161593655804_n.jpg
    139595653_315803449813837_5420395161593655804_n.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 109

Karate Monkey

Your derailleur won't break off because of grass without some serious ignoring. That said, I spend a reasonable amount of time pulling grass/twigs/vines out when I ride Brisbane, depending on the time of year.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions