Building a solid multi use trail

I am not sure why, but NJ doesn't seem to have much of a culture in teen trail corp. PA has a huge presence.

I missed this thread over the winter but consulted with Tom back when the email from Gene came through. There is nothing I would like to see more (access wise) then to see legal riding in South Mountain/Essex, and in Union County too. As someone who believed the Essex political machine back when we were promised a beta test for MTB access in SoMo, drove hours on end and built trails there (a place that I planned to never ride after finished), SoMo is a bitter pill. It is a huge uphill political battle. When combined with the failure and similar bait-and-switch in Union, it has sucked a lot of advocacy life out of me.

Regarding TTC, the Pennsylvania League (PICL) *created* the program and shared it with NICA nationally. PA doesn't have a unified statewide advocacy presence like we do in NJ, so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. The NJ League has partnered with JORBA since our inception, well before TTC was conceived and implemented. We log our TTC hours now though, and seek out projects to support practice and race venues. Our coaches and students are breathing life into JORBA chapters around the state. Having just hired a Program Director this year, I see our TTC efforts expanding as we strengthen our partnership with JORBA and endeavor to create more opportunities for our students to do trail work and get involved with advocacy.

I have ridden many trails throughout the state. We truly have a wealth of knowledge on trail design, builds and maintenance.

I am a resident of Essex County and know that I am constantly swimming against the current on approving mountain biking here. Luckily I am stubborn and not going anywhere for a while. I had written the South Mountain Conservancy about my contributions to South Mountain Reservation over the past 10 years from chainsaw work to trail maintenance. I work with Dennis Percher and others and while I received a "we tried that and it failed" I still believe we can make a difference due to the increase in mental relief that the outdoors provides many.

In regards to JORBA, I have had email discussions with Tom Hennigan about building a new proposal to the county. Yes, the conservancy worked with JORBA and IMBA in the past on a proposal and due to supposed death threats the proposal never made it for county approval. I knew @mergs also did a TON of work in a nearby park (Hilltop) during that time...

I have built a connection with many mountain bikers that ride throughout the reservation. I want to restart what was once prematurely ended due to hatred in our community by the non biking community.

So, what is the point on this thread....

1) Proper trail design and building
a) Many, many years ago I attended an IMBA class on trail building. The architects of many of the great trails were there.
b) Is there a JORBA initiative that brings all of these great minds together?
c) How can we move forward to build trails that last a lifetime with proper drainage, leverage against wear\tear and fun

2) Advocacy
a) Has there been a correlated effort to avocate to the non-biking community?
b) What pros\cons were taken away from advocation
c) NYNJTC has a huge presense in many trail networks throughout the state. Has there been any partnership? (ref: https://www.nynjtc.org/)

What else? I know there are much smarter trail experts than me. I'd love to get to understand the best trail building efforts.

My initial thoughts on a strong trail:
avoid low lines
2x4 wood on sides where building
rock gravel for foundation
sand for firming
soil on top
I moved out of West Orange due to the all the county sheriff team sitting at South Mountain area only when crime increased, found a 17 year old kid from Livingston dead at a West Orange parking lot, a lady from Millburn got beat up in her own house in front of her daughter by a burger from Maplewood, people from Orange burglarizing the houses in West Orange... Where is the safety??? Only at South Mountain Reservation??? I'm done with Essex county and it's high taxes!

I moved out of West Orange due to the all the county sheriff team sitting at South Mountain area only when crime increased, found a 17 year old kid from Livingston dead at a West Orange parking lot, a lady from Millburn got beat up in her own house in front of her daughter by a burger from Maplewood, people from Orange burglarizing the houses in West Orange... Where is the safety??? Only at South Mountain Reservation??? I'm done with Essex county and it's high taxes!
Troll 😈. West Orange is an extension of a metropolitan area. Let’s blame I-280 creation for the violence. If the interstate wasn’t there the volume of violence would remain elsewhere… in today’s world that isn’t reality, but the green initiative that state and federal continue to discuss is. Eventually the park system will become multi use as it once was back in the 90s. Until then it is a good fight and awareness to the powers that be know we are still here.

Troll 😈. West Orange is an extension of a metropolitan area. Let’s blame I-280 creation for the violence. If the interstate wasn’t there the volume of violence would remain elsewhere… in today’s world that isn’t reality, but the green initiative that state and federal continue to discuss is. Eventually the park system will become multi use as it once was back in the 90s. Until then it is a good fight and awareness to the powers that be know we are still here.
So you telling me that a burglar from Orange will take I-280 to go break into a house in West Orange? Or the kid from Livingston who got multiple shots in his Suburban was transported on I-280, or the guy from Maplewood who broke into this lady's house in Millburn to beat her up in front of her daughter and rob from her took I-280??? All this towns are connected to each other it's easier to walk over than to drive on I-280 to commit their crimes. And the list goes on, so it will be your thoughts against a large least of facts! West Orange, South Orange, Millburn and Short Hills are towns that are NOT safe anymore

So you telling me that a burglar from Orange will take I-280 to go break into a house in West Orange? Or the kid from Livingston who got multiple shots in his Suburban was transported on I-280, or the guy from Maplewood who broke into this lady's house in Millburn to beat her up in front of her daughter and rob from her took I-280??? All this towns are connected to each other it's easier to walk over than to drive on I-280 to commit their crimes. And the list goes on, so it will be your thoughts against a large least of facts! West Orange, South Orange, Millburn and Short Hills are towns that are NOT safe anymore
I like to focus on facts when speaking. With that said the numbers specific to West Orange are down since 2014.

If this is personal to you and you were effected by a crime I am sorry to hear that.

Back
Top Bottom