Building a solid multi use trail

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I have ridden many trails throughout the state. We truly have a wealth of knowledge on trail design, builds and maintenance.

I am a resident of Essex County and know that I am constantly swimming against the current on approving mountain biking here. Luckily I am stubborn and not going anywhere for a while. I had written the South Mountain Conservancy about my contributions to South Mountain Reservation over the past 10 years from chainsaw work to trail maintenance. I work with Dennis Percher and others and while I received a "we tried that and it failed" I still believe we can make a difference due to the increase in mental relief that the outdoors provides many.

In regards to JORBA, I have had email discussions with Tom Hennigan about building a new proposal to the county. Yes, the conservancy worked with JORBA and IMBA in the past on a proposal and due to supposed death threats the proposal never made it for county approval. I knew @mergs also did a TON of work in a nearby park (Hilltop) during that time...

I have built a connection with many mountain bikers that ride throughout the reservation. I want to restart what was once prematurely ended due to hatred in our community by the non biking community.

So, what is the point on this thread....

1) Proper trail design and building
a) Many, many years ago I attended an IMBA class on trail building. The architects of many of the great trails were there.
b) Is there a JORBA initiative that brings all of these great minds together?
c) How can we move forward to build trails that last a lifetime with proper drainage, leverage against wear\tear and fun

2) Advocacy
a) Has there been a correlated effort to avocate to the non-biking community?
b) What pros\cons were taken away from advocation
c) NYNJTC has a huge presense in many trail networks throughout the state. Has there been any partnership? (ref: https://www.nynjtc.org/)

What else? I know there are much smarter trail experts than me. I'd love to get to understand the best trail building efforts.

My initial thoughts on a strong trail:
avoid low lines
2x4 wood on sides where building
rock gravel for foundation
sand for firming
soil on top

the schwartz

Subscribed

Essex County inmate here as well.
I want to get involved

NICA may be the way forward, add that to your advocacy efforts. I say this from a place of ignorance, I don't know anything, but it fills me with hope for the future. Let's change the conversation from "I'm a middle to upper class, middle aged, probably White, probably male, who wants to ride in your precious walking-only-forest" to "this is for the children." Not just my kids either, or others' kids with high end mtbs... could we make something with minimal elevation change, mostly smooth, flowy, that could be a reason for families, and any kid with a bike, to get out, away from their screens, and into the woods for a bit...

Last edited:

Xler8

NICA will need to lead the charge if that’s the path which will lend the best results. It cant be some “middle to upper class, middle aged, probably white, probably male, who wants to ride in your precious walking only forest” people leading this endeavor. Based off prior experience, the MTB community on a county level is pretty small. Too small to actually make a significant impact. Once word gets out that there is an initiative to expand trail access, people who don’t know nor care about trail access jump on the “no thank you” bandwagon. Changing those people perspective is rather impossible and they out number the MTB community such that the decision makers cave to them and things remain unchanged.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
NICA will need to lead the charge if that’s the path which will lend the best results. It cant be some “middle to upper class, middle aged, probably white, probably male, who wants to ride in your precious walking only forest” people leading this endeavor. Based off prior experience, the MTB community on a county level is pretty small. Too small to actually make a significant impact. Once word gets out that there is an initiative to expand trail access, people who don’t know nor care about trail access jump on the “no thank you” bandwagon. Changing those people perspective is rather impossible and they out number the MTB community such that the decision makers cave to them and things remain unchanged.
I think that is a smoke and mirrors perspective. Some louder voices for sure in past circumstances. I do believe if syncronized with multiple groups it can be accomplished. I've already been involved in the conservacy and reservation for the past 11 years. I am not some guy looking to stir a pot I am not already in.

The hope of this thread is to also education myself and others on proper trail building guides that can be proposed in a final solution.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Subscribed

Essex County inmate here as well.
I want to get involved

NICA may be the way forward, add that to your advocacy efforts. I say this from a place of ignorance, I don't know anything, but it fills me with hope for the future. Let's change the conversation from "I'm a middle to upper class, middle aged, probably White, probably male, who wants to ride in your precious walking-only-forest" to "this is for the children." Not just my kids either, or others' kids with high end mtbs... could we make something with minimal elevation change, mostly smooth, flowy, that could be a reason for families, and any kid with a bike, to get out, away from their screens, and into the woods for a bit...
Who is NICA? Who runs it? I'm not looking to hand this project to someone else, but happy to add them to the conversation.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
"Proper sustainable trail building techniques" is the least of your worries - that's easy and plenty of info out there and even plenty of professional companies you can hire. Approval and politics is the huge, sometimes insurmountable, hurdle. I like the idea and your enthusiasm, but good luck! I agree that the extra interest in outdoors activities due to the pandemic and the rise in NICA popularity in recent years will be where you want to focus your efforts.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Who is NICA? Who runs it? I'm not looking to hand this project to someone else, but happy to add them to the conversation.
NICA is National Interscholastic Cycling Association... middle and high school MTB teams...

Here's the NJ chapter:
There's almost 30 teams, with several thousand kids registered, as well as adult volunteer coaches.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Approval and politics is the huge, sometimes insurmountable, hurdle.
No doubt. I have an email thread already started with SoMoCon and JORBA. I'm happy to add NICA and others.

I have been talking with a trail race director as well who recently joined the SoMoCon board.

I see NICA has a board. Is there regional coverage per county or a board overseeing all?

A number of years ago I was volunteering at a small NICA event in Essex County prior to moving here. During that time besides being a course helper I assisted Brandon (Cycle Craft) do some maintenance on the kids bikes.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I am not sure why, but NJ doesn't seem to have much of a culture in teen trail corp. PA has a huge presence.

NICA may be part of the solution, but not the answer here.

Like @gmb3 said, the political issue is the biggest hurdle and SLOW.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No doubt. I have an email thread already started with SoMoCon and JORBA. I'm happy to add NICA and others.

I have been talking with a trail race director as well who recently joined the SoMoCon board.

I see NICA has a board. Is there regional coverage per county or a board overseeing all?

A number of years ago I was volunteering at a small NICA event in Essex County prior to moving here. During that time besides being a course helper I assisted Brandon (Cycle Craft) do some maintenance on the kids bikes.

Im pretty sure @muddybike is involved with NICA in essex county, she should know who the best local contact would be.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Im pretty sure @muddybike is involved with NICA in essex county, she should know who the best local contact would be.
Thanks! I’m on Gene’s email chain already. Hi Gene!! The Essex Offroad MTB team is sizeable and willing to help with this endeavor. I actually think we need to get more visual - bike rally’s, ride outs, etc.. the nice, friendly way has been tried and not had success- so maybe thinking outside the box in conjunction w the cordial conversations is warranted....

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Thanks! I’m on Gene’s email chain already. Hi Gene!! The Essex Offroad MTB team is sizeable and willing to help with this endeavor. I actually think we need to get more visual - bike rally’s, ride outs, etc.. the nice, friendly way has been tried and not had success- so maybe thinking outside the box in conjunction w the cordial conversations is warranted....
Tom was telling me about your research on what is allowed in South Mountain Reservation, but not biking is just silly. I appreciate your time @muddybike. While not formal there have been many group rides that have brought 10-15 riders at once and has caused quite a stir on Elmsdale\Oakdale.

I have a good relationship with the conservacy and with the recent work\hours that the biking community (I coordinated with many bikers and tracked outage) contributed to cleaning\clearing the trails this past year I wanted and have used that as leverage.

the schwartz

Tom was telling me about your research on what is allowed in South Mountain Reservation, but not biking is just silly. I appreciate your time @muddybike. While not formal there have been many group rides that have brought 10-15 riders at once and has caused quite a stir on Elmsdale\Oakdale.

I have a good relationship with the conservacy and with the recent work\hours that the biking community (I coordinated with many bikers and tracked outage) contributed to cleaning\clearing the trails this past year I wanted and have used that as leverage.
Is there a group for Somo trail clearing out anything? I would participate.

Eagle Rock mightmy be an easier target as it's not the gem of the Essex county park system. ..

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Just start a super pac, "Essex County Mountain Bike Community", with the sole purpose of supporting any candidate that supports legal mountain biking in Essex county.

Money is the only thing that will move this anywhere. This is a political problem

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Is there a group for Somo trail clearing out anything? I would participate.

Eagle Rock mightmy be an easier target as it's not the gem of the Essex county park system. ..
I am the trailkeeper of the Orange trail in the Conservacy. I also am part of the Chainsaw gang. I work and got bikers added to the trail work and chainsaw work email threads. Anyone else interested in being added to the thread send me an email - esackman@gmail.com .

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Just start a super pac, "Essex County Mountain Bike Community", with the sole purpose of supporting any candidate that supports legal mountain biking in Essex county.

Money is the only thing that will move this anywhere. This is a political problem
Isn't that what millionaires\billionaires spend their money on?

Gene

The Dancing Machine
There is a separate group that focuses on Mills \ Hilltop. They say Eagle Rock as well, but never seen it.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/milltopers

I am not the admin or run this page, but there is a group for SoMo via https://www.strava.com/clubs/SoMoLicious.

I use email and iMessage for communication to the other riders. I'm sure I only have a small percent, but they know a friend and info can be shared.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I might start a group chat via Signal. I quit WhatsApp due to security changes... more to come.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Signal Chat for Essex County NJ MTB. It is open to all. I’ll keep updates here and add those interested in trail work via email, but figure the chat can be actively used for those riding here already.

Top Bottom