Bring a Trailer - OMFG or On Topic

I am almost certainly not doing this, but I've just started looking at 2005 Cooper S's on Autotrader 😂

I test drove one back when they came out and to this day I still think it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, up there with the S2000 and my 2009 Cayman. They're now like $6k-$7k. On the downside, they were pretty hilariously unreliable, so is it worth it...no. But still...hmm.

I am almost certainly not doing this, but I've just started looking at 2005 Cooper S's on Autotrader 😂

I test drove one back when they came out and to this day I still think it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, up there with the S2000 and my 2009 Cayman. They're now like $6k-$7k. On the downside, they were pretty hilariously unreliable, so is it worth it...no. But still...hmm.
You should go for something like this instead...every British petrol head had one at some point.

When I spent a lot of time in Northern England for work I knew a lad that kept falling asleep while driving and wrapped them around some random tree (surprisingly his nickname was Sleeping Beauty as he also fancied himself a handsome chap). At some point he even welded two half minis (front and rear)...maybe it would be such a great idea going for one of them, thinking about it! Oh well, nevermind...

mini-cooper-in-hungary-1476934844780.jpg

I've been told by a few people that the Fiat 500 Abarth is an absolute hoot to drive as well. Prob not reliable either though

I've been told by a few people that the Fiat 500 Abarth is an absolute hoot to drive as well. Prob not reliable either though
I’ve been infatuated with the Abarth since it arrived in the U.S. I still recall reading an interview with Michael Schumacher, in which he mentioned how much fun he had driving his Abarth.

I still have’t driven one, but the exhaust is essentially un-muffled, so they make rowdy noises, and I’m sure they’re a riot to throw around.

And yes, probably a pain the ass, reliability-wise.

I have no real data but I know of 2 people who had the early models of these and ended up with engine failure.

There’s an older guy in the road club I ride with he has one and says it’s like a street legal go Kart and since he’s on the shorter side he can stuff his bike inside with the seats folded down. but it’s scary when dealing with the mega SUVs and trucks on the highway or busy roads.

That being said I would love to try one too or the prev mentioned abarth but funny you should mention the Honda S2000
Would totally be my choice for a practical
“fun” car if I could ever afford it.

I have no real data but I know of 2 people who had the early models of these and ended up with engine failure.

There’s an older guy in the road club I ride with he has one and says it’s like a street legal go Kart and since he’s on the shorter side he can stuff his bike inside with the seats folded down. but it’s scary when dealing with the mega SUVs and trucks on the highway or busy roads.

That being said I would love to try one too or the prev mentioned abarth but funny you should mention the Honda S2000
Would totally be my choice for a practical
“fun” car if I could ever afford it.

not sure how the s2000 qualifies as practical, they are small convertibles (means limited trunk space) with no back seats. . . .

Prob not reliable either though
And yes, probably a pain the ass, reliability-wise.
Are you referring to the FIAT historical alleged unreliability or to these models specifically? The regular 500 has good reviews at least that I know of in Italy, and personally found it very fun to drive and had no issues when I did. Souped up models of cheap, mass production models tend to be more unreliable by definition in my opinion, even though the manufacturer may consider them worth inflating the price to supercar level...

but it’s scary when dealing with the mega SUVs and trucks on the highway or busy roads.
If that's how you feel about the 'new' Fiat 500 Abarth I would love to hear your driving impressions of the original one from the '60s/'70s...

Abarths.JPG

Are you referring to the FIAT historical alleged unreliability or to these models specifically? The regular 500 has good reviews at least that I know of in Italy, and personally found it very fun to drive and had no issues when I did. Souped up models of cheap, mass production models tend to be more unreliable by definition in my opinion, even though the manufacturer may consider them worth inflating the price to supercar level...

If that's how you feel about the 'new' Fiat 500 Abarth I would love to hear your driving impressions of the original one from the '60s/'70s...

View attachment 217739
seems to same as this...
HTB1TxXjIXXXXXaoXpXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

I always liked the look of the ‘69,’70 Shelbys even though the stock ‘69 mustang is one of my favorites of all time.
Of course the ‘70 Shelbys were just leftover ‘69s.
I agree, I mean not my favorite mustang, but I still think they looked pretty good.

It still was a 69/70 underneath and the fastback body lines are still there.....69/70s had a nice shape.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom