brakes

Tarroneus

I have a 2015 FatBoy that came with the stock brakes. Replaced them with XT, but not really feeling like I got much of an improvement in stopping power. Do I need:

1) better rotors
2) bigger rotors
3) to shut up and pedal

You might need to take very fine sandpaper to the rotors and then clean off with isopropyl alcohol if the disks are glazed. I did this when I changed over from avids to XT

You might need to take very fine sandpaper to the rotors and then clean off with isopropyl alcohol if the disks are glazed. I did this when I changed over from avids to XT

I had a really weird run last year where I'd have very little bite with a XT/Icetech combo. I ended up scuffing the pads with a knife sharpening block and cleaning the rotors as described, had to do it between rides a few times. Seems to have gone away now. Maybe I just hit a crappy spot on the pads or something.

Sram Guides.

To late, once shimanos are on might as well just get a new bike.

I know some people confuse stopping power with lack of modulation. Are you just looking for that super quick grabby, stop you on a dime, kind of stopping? If you had mechanicals on before that where set up to go into full lock within the first micro movement of the lever , you might just have to get use to the world of mmooodddduuullaaattiiooonnn.

(Joking on the shimano and the new bike thing, they are great brakes. I run them guides though :) )

Getting bigger rotors will make a big difference... XTs are pretty solid. Im sure with a 203 in front and a 180 in the back, thatd be all you need.

I did the same brake conversion on my fatboy , I thought the xt upgrade was alot better then the stock brakes . I don't feel a need for any more braking control .

Back
Top Bottom