Bontrager Rhythm Elite Tubeless Question

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
OK, so I'm new to the whole tubeless thing. I have the rim strips, stems and sealant, but my question is with the tires. Do I need to use UST tires to go tubless even if I'm using the sealant? I have a Maxis Ignitor on the back but I'm not sure if it's tubeless or not. It just seems like I shouldn't need to use UST tires if I'm using the sealant but I want to know form the experts.

Thanks,

Tim

You don't need to use UST or tubeless ready tires to go tubeless. Both of my bikes are converted tubeless with rim strips and stans goo, and I am using normal, non UST tires on both. I really like the ride this gives, as the non UST tires are really supple because they are not as reinforced as the UST tires. That said, I have had some sidewall tearing.

A compressor will make your life much easier if you've got one.

The issue with non tubeless tires set up as tubeless is usually the sidewalls and the bead of the tire.

I've ran non UST tires as tubeless before. It works, but when you get down to lower pressures, the tire wants to roll over. I didnt really like the feel of it at all.

Check the stans page for tires that they do not suggest to be used for a tubeless conversion. I would suggest only doing it with a tire made for the task, or something like Geax's TNT design (Tubes no Tubes) which is designed for either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom