Bonelli & Sea Otter

Not sure exactly what happened today but it was a total blow out.

I woke up pretty tight, did some yoga to loosen up, but my lower back was not happy. Ran into Nick Lando at breakfast and he gave me so RockTape - which I found to be surprisingly helpful at alleviating my lower back pain. I also took a long walk and did more stretching, but the combo seemed to really help.

Can I keep the rocktape on for tomorrows race, or do i need to take it off and refresh it tomorrow?

I was the second to last of approx 60 women called to staging. And that is pretty much where i stayed the entire time I was attempting to race. I had a great warm up, not too much, not too much down time during call ups, stayed in the shade as much as possible. took a center positions and rolled into the group as much as possible during the less than a min to go compression. I felt strong off the start which is a grass rise into a road section that leads into a super dusty climb. For the pro-log we climb to the left, then immediately descend back into the grassy venue area where we zig-zag through a cyclocross style grass section, through the start line again and back onto the asphalt to the first big dusty climb. In the prolog the first climb stirred up so much dust you couldn't see 2 riders ahead. I thought I was wiggling up the sides, cutting the corners and passing people, but somehow they were all passing me back. I felt good on the first climb, but was insanely tense on the first descent. I reminded my self to loosen up, but i was so frantic to catch the next rider ahead that i ended up riding pretty crappy. A few climbs & descents and the mental game started to set in - I found I was telling my self "I'm stronger than this, I can ride better than this" but those words didn't inspire any motivation. Then the "what am i doing here", "why are my legs so heavy", "I don't belong here" started creeping into my head. I shook those thoughts out as best I could and fought back with, "the top women mtb riders IN THE WORLD are here, maybe I'm the bottom of the barrel, but it's the bottom of the very best, just ride your own ride". Second lap felt much better, there was a girl on my tail and i focused on riding smooth to pull away from her. I'd catch glimpses of the next girl ahead and I focused on spinning my legs faster up the climbs, forcing the pedal around. I felt I was climbing better than last year, but it still wasn't as strong as I know I can ride. I kept tensing up and had to keep forcing myself to loosen up. And then I got pulled. Not surprised, I know i was certainly outside the 80%, but 2 laps of 5 is pretty disappointing.

My immediate desire was to scoot back to the hotel room and curl up into a ball, but instead I rolled around a bit and watched a few laps of the race. It was really hot out, lots of girls had ice packs & cooling vests pre-race, and I could see that the heat was catching up with everyone. The leader, Erin Huck had a huge lead and looked really smooth, the top five (pictured above) were spaced out a bit and even Kate Courtney looked like she was absolutely suffering. (course, I later found out she flatted on the first lap! so she was prob really putting down the power to making up time). I started chatting with the some other spectators and was surprised to find I had lost my voice (like I'd been screaming at a concert all night), in fact, once my heart rate & breathing came down I couldn't stop coughing. It must be the dust build up in there. I didn't notice it at all during the race, so I don't think I can pin any blame on it in terms of my performance, but my chest and throat feel incredibly raw & still coughing, now that i'm back at the hotel room. I hope It clears out overnight.

At any rate, the good news is that short track is tomorrow, and I mentally feel like I have nothing to lose. A good a$$-whooping usually helps get my mental game on point. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

There are a few pics of the race venue - couple food trucks, team tents and what not. I find the amount of toilette paper in the bathroom rather hilarious - like the park officials only want to refresh the rolls once a season.

I'm hungry for a better effort tomorrow. Then it's on to Sea Otter for the Enduro, short track & XC - in that order. Thursday - Saturday.

That sucks Kris. You think it was the flight out there that messes w your back?
You had something up at Hop Brook to though. Hmm.... Sorry to hear.

That sucks Kris. You think it was the flight out there that messes w your back?
You had something up at Hop Brook to though. Hmm.... Sorry to hear.

the seats on the flight are always pretty crappy in terms of lumbar support. I rolled my jacked up and shoved it behind me to help. I’m always struggling w my lower back though. proper climbing form helps a lot too- using glutes instead of back muscles. It just takes a few races to not be in that frantic mode that is all poor posture ...

. A few climbs & descents and the mental game started to set in - I found I was telling my self "I'm stronger than this, I can ride better than this" but those words didn't inspire any motivation. Then the "what am i doing here", "why are my legs so heavy", "I don't belong here" started creeping into my head. I shook those thoughts out as best I could and fought back with, "the top women mtb riders IN THE WORLD are here, maybe I'm the bottom of the barrel, but it's the bottom of the very best, just ride your own ride".

QFT.... and emphasizing that last sentence for when my wife reads this.

You win some you lose some, regardless of the outcome you're still a champ and a role model to all our young up and comers in the region

The dust, the heat, the travel, das back, straight up nervousness,a snot slick power course... The deck is stacked hard against East Coast rock stars. You're learning the big barrel ropes. Beyond impressed, and glad you stayed to watch the other mortals.
Let it hang out at short track. Or don't - you'll know what's appropriate on the day. However it works out, stoked as hell you're out there for more than one weekend. A Ride hard, meet folks (the other part of pro lyfe), take pics and blargh the sh*t out of it. You're literally living the dream.

Not easy riding in the heat after a long winter. You'll adapt and at the very least will excell in the technical sections. Good luck and most importantly, have fun.

D26B1B98-5644-4F6B-AE84-9F281262FC9D.jpeg
D3575037-D0B2-4D61-BB7F-FAC62EB67B53.jpeg
8A72E1BD-D8DC-4638-B1F9-34407581E717.jpeg
CEFA0C79-3883-4791-AC77-AFF606CDCBBF.jpeg
388B0986-B9F2-417D-91F8-7B74AB840559.jpeg
9A3CC96E-0ABE-4225-9C89-E818C04F5890.jpeg
2C7A0F75-E890-4F18-9E49-A925D3A066A6.jpeg
B62CE1CD-5E4F-4E82-8738-A507C7FD97E4.jpeg
D891D2A3-92C4-416B-A69B-5DDA0D747804.jpeg
CF15946C-90B1-405A-9E6D-8AF16874C2B4.jpeg

Sunday - Short Track day!
Veggie omelet for breakfast (like every morning at this hotel, which has free omelet station between 6-9am.) Work, then off to the venue at noon to warm up for the 1:30 Short track race.
I pop by Nick's team tent to use some sunscreen and find out the races are delayed by an hour. Yikes. I have hard time keeping my pre-race nerves in check with that much down time...
I rolled around, grabbed a selfie with Catherin Pendrel & Kate Courtney. SO many WC riders there - crazy to see them on Redbull TV, while doing trainer rides last week, and be lining up with them today - crazy.

I rolled a bit more, chatted with some amateur racers & also with some random spectators/bike enthusiasts(?) who were ogling the new High Ball ;-)

Watched the jr women & jr men race short track (jr. women had a nasty crash right after the start - the asphalt jigs a slight left/right from the road, over a curb and continues onto a very wide sidewalk, and the curb is lined with sandbags - which become saggier and saggier as the weekend progresses. That's where the girls wrecked. They were all ok.
Then got into my warm up. Back is feeling good, legs are feeling good. It's not nearly as hot as the day before - which is also good.

Line up is based on yesterday's results. Ouch. That hurts. Nearly last to be called up. Super crappy start position, but it doesn't matter. I decided to ditch the camel back for this one - too short, and I had half a bottle on the bike - so short though - 15mins plus 2 laps. Course is the pro-log from the day before - long asphalt stretch into a dusty, punchy climb, down a super rutty, dusty road onto grass with big sweeping right, a short stretch up a slight incline into the grass zig-zags, then by the previous day's feedzone in the grassy field up a grassy incline and back onto the asphalt.

I had a strong start - tried out a new start position, with my butt on the saddle and I was clipped in and looking for ways through the crowd straight away. speed was fast, but I was determined to work into the pack. I worked through to about mid-pack by the time we hit the first climb. I felt strong and powered up it. Super dusty. I tried to hold my breath as much as possible. bottle necked on the rutty descent. Into the grass and I was just a turn behind the front pack. Second lap felt pretty good too, but i wasn't riding smart on the asphalt section and girls were drafting one another, teams working together and I was bleeding spots there. Climb was strong, descent more opened up so I could crank down that and into the grass. Held my own through there, but the feed zone section (false flat of grass) was draining, asphalt again and I bleed a few more spots. Lap three they start pulling people, I make it before the cut off and get to head out for another lap. the asphalt! arghhh - that section is my demise! I bleed more spots through there, and then hang on their wheels until the grass flat. We are all pulled at that point.

So, not awesome, but WAYYYY better than yesterday. BIke felt fast, I felt strong. (Except through the road section - that is mental hurdle I'll need to work on). So i'm happy, improvement feels good.

Everyone from the east coast i've spoken to (I had dinner with Nick Lando last night (vietemese)) & the girls I warm up with from VT & MA) all feel like our spring has been a major disadvantage for us at these races. As much as i want it to, trainer strength doesn't directly translate to trail speed - which makes sense - there is an art to keeping a high velocity, knowing where to put that hard earned trainer strength to use to get the bike moving and to keep it moving - and all of us have had very little practice freshening up those skills. But, with each race and each ride it's waking back up, so hopefully each of the next 3 races will continue to feel better and stronger.

Chatted with the race promoter after the race - he's a Jersey Boy - from the Shore. Cooled down with some of the other girls who were pulled and then watched Nick race.

After the raceds I headed back to the hotel (there is no rush to head to Sea Otter, the hotels are seedier up there, and the courses won't be setup until later in the week, so i'm staying another night- which means I've got the hot tub all to myself for recovery this afternoon. :)

soo. a few pics for ya - I included a pic of my leg for ya'll to enjoy - i know you all love a good road rash pic, and the bruising is really coming in now. That's Nick in the Trek Bear Devo team kit. And there was a 3 piece band near the picnic tables - just jamming out. That first pic of Emily Batty is for you @jShort!

Glad it went a bit better today. That style of racing seems like having some crit road racing experience would be an advantage. Drafting tactics and knowing when to conserve energy must be big on those types of courses.

Glad to hear things went better. Regardless of results, you're lining up with the top racers in the country. That's pretty sick.

Thanks for thinking of me ;)

Thanks for the great race report. Glad to hear todays race went better! Yes, I agree a harsh winter makes for some tough early races. Just remember, this is early race season and while most of the top elite stay elite year round, there are a bunch of others may just have a season head start. Keep strong!

Last edited:
D
Sunday - Short Track day!
Veggie omelet for breakfast (like every morning at this hotel, which has free omelet station between 6-9am.) Work, then off to the venue at noon to warm up for the 1:30 Short track race.
I pop by Nick's team tent to use some sunscreen and find out the races are delayed by an hour. Yikes. I have hard time keeping my pre-race nerves in check with that much down time...
I rolled around, grabbed a selfie with Catherin Pendrel & Kate Courtney. SO many WC riders there - crazy to see them on Redbull TV, while doing trainer rides last week, and be lining up with them today - crazy.

I rolled a bit more, chatted with some amateur racers & also with some random spectators/bike enthusiasts(?) who were ogling the new High Ball ;-)

Watched the jr women & jr men race short track (jr. women had a nasty crash right after the start - the asphalt jigs a slight left/right from the road, over a curb and continues onto a very wide sidewalk, and the curb is lined with sandbags - which become saggier and saggier as the weekend progresses. That's where the girls wrecked. They were all ok.
Then got into my warm up. Back is feeling good, legs are feeling good. It's not nearly as hot as the day before - which is also good.

Line up is based on yesterday's results. Ouch. That hurts. Nearly last to be called up. Super crappy start position, but it doesn't matter. I decided to ditch the camel back for this one - too short, and I had half a bottle on the bike - so short though - 15mins plus 2 laps. Course is the pro-log from the day before - long asphalt stretch into a dusty, punchy climb, down a super rutty, dusty road onto grass with big sweeping right, a short stretch up a slight incline into the grass zig-zags, then by the previous day's feedzone in the grassy field up a grassy incline and back onto the asphalt.

I had a strong start - tried out a new start position, with my butt on the saddle and I was clipped in and looking for ways through the crowd straight away. speed was fast, but I was determined to work into the pack. I worked through to about mid-pack by the time we hit the first climb. I felt strong and powered up it. Super dusty. I tried to hold my breath as much as possible. bottle necked on the rutty descent. Into the grass and I was just a turn behind the front pack. Second lap felt pretty good too, but i wasn't riding smart on the asphalt section and girls were drafting one another, teams working together and I was bleeding spots there. Climb was strong, descent more opened up so I could crank down that and into the grass. Held my own through there, but the feed zone section (false flat of grass) was draining, asphalt again and I bleed a few more spots. Lap three they start pulling people, I make it before the cut off and get to head out for another lap. the asphalt! arghhh - that section is my demise! I bleed more spots through there, and then hang on their wheels until the grass flat. We are all pulled at that point.

So, not awesome, but WAYYYY better than yesterday. BIke felt fast, I felt strong. (Except through the road section - that is mental hurdle I'll need to work on). So i'm happy, improvement feels good.

Everyone from the east coast i've spoken to (I had dinner with Nick Lando last night (vietemese)) & the girls I warm up with from VT & MA) all feel like our spring has been a major disadvantage for us at these races. As much as i want it to, trainer strength doesn't directly translate to trail speed - which makes sense - there is an art to keeping a high velocity, knowing where to put that hard earned trainer strength to use to get the bike moving and to keep it moving - and all of us have had very little practice freshening up those skills. But, with each race and each ride it's waking back up, so hopefully each of the next 3 races will continue to feel better and stronger.

Chatted with the race promoter after the race - he's a Jersey Boy - from the Shore. Cooled down with some of the other girls who were pulled and then watched Nick race.

After the raceds I headed back to the hotel (there is no rush to head to Sea Otter, the hotels are seedier up there, and the courses won't be setup until later in the week, so i'm staying another night- which means I've got the hot tub all to myself for recovery this afternoon. :)

soo. a few pics for ya - I included a pic of my leg for ya'll to enjoy - i know you all love a good road rash pic, and the bruising is really coming in now. That's Nick in the Trek Bear Devo team kit. And there was a 3 piece band near the picnic tables - just jamming out. That first pic of Emily Batty is for you @jShort!
Delete zwift account, button up and ride outside all winter. Just leave it all on the table. All tou can do. Good job!

SO many WC riders there - crazy to see them on Redbull TV, while doing trainer rides last week, and be lining up with them today - crazy
Yeah you did.
Living the dream there.
Keep it up- just remember you are awesome.
Murder some faces at Sea Otter!

Glad it went a bit better today. That style of racing seems like having some crit road racing experience would be an advantage. Drafting tactics and knowing when to conserve energy must be big on those types of courses.

You think Tom would let me use my MTB at the Branchbrook crits? Seriously, though - I do need to get more tactical about the road sections - Sea Otter has plenty of asphalt. I've got to plan better to position myself for drafting. A must.

Also interesting, after the pull lap on short track today, the leaders slowed the heck down and all rode together for about 2 laps, then the speed starts cranking up again. and there were attacks again.

Monday.
Up at 4:30am to join the NJ NICA League staff call. Work until checkout (11am). Drove 6 hours north to the Monteray Area. Beautiful scenery. Terrible coffee along the way - tasted like cigarette butts had been stewing in the pot - to the new hotel. I opted for a hotel a little further away from Monteray, as I've had my share of seedy hotels there - including waking up at 3am with a bug (no kidding - a earwig) crawling in my ear. This year's choice is MUCH better - and right next to the ocean. Pics forthcoming. Although, disappointed to see no microwave or mini-fridge in the room. They did, however, tie the toilette paper into bow.

Back
Top Bottom