Black Run Ride Review

axeman_g

Hey all,
I took my two boys (11 and 7yo) riding yesterday at Black Run and I wanted to give some thoughts on the trails and the ride.

First, I need to get a gps and maps asap. I got turned around in there a couple of times. While the trails are marked well, the existing maps are too large of a scale for much detail to be portrayed. We rode off on the east green trail to warm up, then headed down the west green to join with blue. We were going great until the boys hit the sand on the road way.... we eventually powered through to the 2nd intersection with with red trail, located between the two bogs/sand pits (?), and away we went, west down red. Nice downhill to the bog, pictures and tick removal stop (I had 6 on my legs) to the sharp right and into the woods. Nice fast trail that slowed for two dead drops. We then made a wrong turn and went up yellow, slightly uphill to where it intersected with some fire cuts and dirt roads. I now think we were real close to blue again, but i was not sure so we turned around, this is when the boys started to get cranky. Back downhill till we found the red trail that we should have gone right on. Another nice flowing trail, with some great photo ops, the bog flowers are blooming very nicely right now. Eventually we intersected with the blue trail, cut across to follow red some more. that was a great section, nice flow, some woops and fast rollers. Came up to the dirt road a little faster then we expected and my 7yo locked it up thankfully. At that exact moment somebody came flying down the road in their car. If my boy had not hit the brakes.... it would have been bad!

This led to the next off course excursion, I went right coming off the trail there onto the road, rode down to a gate. I think this is "the gate" where the night riades originated from. I did not know I needed to cut across the road 20yards to the left to follow that trail only 50 yards until it intersected back with blue and green at the first bridge crossing.

The boys were done at this point, they were tired, hot, buggy and cranky. We loaded up, headed to Ott's Greentop for lunch, drinks and cold air. Pulled another two ticks of myself there. The boys did not have a single tick on them.... I must be tastier in my old age. I think we rode only about 5 miles, which is alot for boys, especially with sand to combat.

Anyway, I had a great time, the boys admitted they did also over burgers and fries. A few needs were identified out of this.
1) Water capacity on bottle holders sux... need camelbacks or lightweight back with additional water supplies.
2) A better gps. Phone GPS worked ok, map on phone worked sort of.
3) 7yo got a new bike out of this. He rode his Jamis bmx bike, real lightweight and easy to handle, but the lack of gearing did make it hard for him. We went and got him a Haro 24" right after this ride and he could not be prouder. He earned it by toughing this ride out and asking for more after he recovered during lunch.
4) Better bug spray for summer months.
5) More time off to spend with my family riding.

Here is a google kmz I put together with what I believe is a good representation of the trails.

Attachments

• Black Run Preserve Trails.kmz
    3.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
check out Kresson, very beginner/kid friendly until you cross over to the section on the other side of Sprindale (the kid friendly stuff is west of Springdale). BRP has some pretty sandy spots, Kresson doesn't have that issue. Another good spot is CCC in Blackwood.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8531279

I agree, the CCC trails would be great for your kids. Congrats to your son on the new bike (way to go Dad!)

Allaire may be too far to travel for you, but it has some nice kid friendly areas too.

We do kresson all the time and that is where the boys cut their teeth and I attempted to get back in shape. We have not done CCD yet, but are intending to. Ceres Park as well since their Nana lives close by. All with the intention of doing 6Mile by Aug.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions