bike wash in winter

qclabrat

I see folks brushing and picking off dirt on their bikes afterwards, but still relatively a superficial cleaning. My hoses are off for the season so thinking of taking a garden sprayer to the park and rinsing off before racking it.

I leave my hoses on , why would you shut them off in winter ? the valve body is inside the house . unless its the older style .

A bucket of hot water from the kitchen when you get home.

Or 2 buckets... one to rinse.

I leave my hoses on , why would you shut them off in winter ? the valve body is inside the house . unless its the older style .

I leave mine on.

Just need to remember to bring in the hose... they'll get all jacked up.

I installed hot / cold hose bibs , it is a blessing in the winter
woodford-22cc.jpg

the most used one goes through the unheated garage, all the sillcocks freezes over and don't allow water flow, for me seems safer to turn off since they are not being used

Winter I dont use the hose much bc I dont heat my garage unless im in it....I just blast the bike off with the air compressor.

that was my thoughts, but I never seen anyone at the parks with one, seems easier to hose it down before your mount them back to the rack. Also unless really cold, I don't see the need for hot water

question for anyone who may know, what's the difference btwn diaphragm vs piston pump units (expecting unrelated responses due to these terms)

I'll use the warm/hot water if it's gonna sit in the car for a bit while out riding so it doesn't freeze. Also makes it a little more forgiving to work with when it's really cold out. Ice cold water on cold hands sukz.

I've been told the sprayer part of those sprayers are fragile. The one I owned died during transport. I haven't bought a replacement.

I have one of these but I use it to clean me not my bike. I keep the water warm by starting with hot water from my utility sink at home, keeping it in front of the heater vent on the drive to the park and then wrapping it up in a blanket while I ride. Usually still plenty warm when I get back to the car. I usually only use that if I'm driving far, though, because I don't want to drive home a long distance with that post-ride funky feeling.

But bikes, though ... bikes don't stay outside. They stay inside in the basement shop. They get cleaned up using hot water and rags while in the stand. Admittedly, I should do this more often (although I regularly clean the drivetrain), but it's kind of a hassle because I detail the whole thing every time I clean it -- I'll take everything apart to clean it up and then put a coat of Bike Lust on it when I'm done. I probably do this about once a month year round, and more if I do a really muddy race.

Thoughts on adding an anti-freeze agent in the sprayers? Apparently its been done at what appears to be cross races
can't find the pics from the net now

a piston pump is what you would thing, draw back through an intake valve, it closes, push out through the 'exhaust valve' - the valves are part of the mechanism
a diaphragm pump has spring loaded valves and an eccentric that draws the center of a flexible diaphragm back to create vacuum,
then pushes it forward to create pressure. the valves are set up so they only open in 1 direction in response to the moving diaphragm.
a diaphragm will wear out before piston rings - and is probably worse in the cold. diaphragm is a simple set-up, less moving parts.

Back
Top Bottom