bike steers weird and drift when riding with no hands

TheDon

I had recently rebuilt a 26" 95 Giant ATX 890 (Ive had since new) as a single speed city cruising bike, 18" frame hardtail with Rockshox Judy XC, made with new and donated parts. I find that as i ride the bike, the steering feels really weird, something i've never felt before. If i try to ride with no hands, it feels as the bike starts to drift on its own. I had put thousands of miles on it but hadn't ridden this bike in about 4 years, normally ride a newer full suspension bike also 26". I'm thinking either the geometry is off or maybe its because the front rim is straight laced? Whats your opinion :hmmm:

im guessing that it's the headset.

lift the front end up and steer the bike in place. If you feel any kind of indexing or friction in the headset, that's probably your problem.

im guessing that it's the headset.

lift the front end up and steer the bike in place. If you feel any kind of indexing or friction in the headset, that's probably your problem.

everything there is good, I had cleaned and re-greased the headset when i built the bike, moves free with no binding or looseness

It sounds to me that you're just not used to the bike since you've been riding something else. Aside from that, maybe check your balance and/or hold on to the handlebars?

You obviously need wheel alignment and balancing....sears should have you covered ;)

too bad the people who work at sears are mostly stupid kids right out of school, I work at an Audi dealer so i think i can handle this part myself

Your fork could be torqued.
Or your rear dropouts could also be misaligned.
Take it to a shop and have them check it out with a frame alignment tool.
Lenny

Also check to see if the front axle retainer nut is loose. I made the mistake of that with my old bike and when I test rode it, it was like an old irish drunk on the road.

Back
Top Bottom