Bike Selection

L

Lorenzo

I'm looking into getting started with biking, and was wondering what type of bike I should look into. I'm on a tight budget, and I don't want to invest a lot of money into something that I'm just feelin out first. Any idea on how much $ I would need to invest to get started.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Lorenzo said:
I'm looking into getting started with biking, and was wondering what type of bike I should look into. I'm on a tight budget, and I don't want to invest a lot of money into something that I'm just feelin out first. Any idea on how much $ I would need to invest to get started.

I would say for starters to save $ go with a hardtail. Try and pick up a used bike as well. One you won't mind tossing down the trail. I think Carl has one that's all warmed up for the trail dropping. :lol:

You can also call your local dealer and look for 03 models for a pretty hefty discount. Personally, I'm a Specialized guy so you know what I'm leaning towards. I can bring you to my shop in Montclair if you'd like.

-jay

L

Lorenzo

Jason said:
Lorenzo said:

I would say for starters to save $ go with a hardtail. Try and pick up a used bike as well. One you won't mind tossing down the trail. I think Carl has one that's all warmed up for the trail dropping. :lol:

You can also call your local dealer and look for 03 models for a pretty hefty discount. Personally, I'm a Specialized guy so you know what I'm leaning towards. I can bring you to my shop in Montclair if you'd like.

-jay
That sounds cool, I would like to check out the shop by you. Any idea on the price for a starter bike? What brands should I stay away from while shopping? I know you pay for what you get.

C

CD1134

You should look into Jamis mountain bikes. I've never ridden one but they look pretty nice, and for the past couple years all the major bike mags have named one of their models (the Dakar maybe?) the best entry-level ride. You're probaly looking at $700-$800 for one.

5wytchBh4kk

usually anything under $700-$800 will turn to chocolate after a couple hard rides. I managed to shear 11 spokes off a rim on one of those walmart mongoose bikes when a branch got stuck in it.

L

Lorenzo

What are your thoughts on these bikes:

AMX Axion
Alloy Oversized dual suspension Frame
24 speed SRAM ESP Rear Derailleur and Shifter
Manitou Six Suspension Fork
Tectro Brakes Front and Rear
Alloy QR Wheels

Mongoose Pathfinder
Alloy Oversized dual suspension Frame
24 speed shimano shifting