Bike Lights 2023

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another vote for the Outbound Evo/Hangover combo. Can’t go wrong. I was an early adopter like @shrpshtr325 and also have the OG Focal series light with the external battery. It’s all really hight quality stuff.

I would also like to share that the warranty is second to none, my battery stopped charging this spring with a weird flashing (red/green) light on the charger, they sent me a new battery AND charger no problem.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would also like to share that the warranty is second to none, my battery stopped charging this spring with a weird flashing (red/green) light on the charger, they sent me a new battery AND charger no problem.
They sponsored the ESC night enduros last year… a buddy got to the event and his Outbound was acting up… he went to their tent to see if he could just borrow one and they just straight gave him a new one on the spot. I’m pretty sure dude was the owner. He was super chill.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
8000 lumens!! Christ, you can probably leave that at your car and just point it at the woods and it's like riding in daylight! :D

This is great info - thanks! I did see that theh Hangover maxes out at 1000 lumens, which is not great by today's standards (but would have been the best around when I first started using lights!)

Thanks! I know very little about Dynamo lights - this is probably a stupid question, but I'd need a separate fron wheel for that beyond the one I currently have, right? It's not a unit that gets attached to the existing wheel to draw power, is it? I'm fine with that but I'm just really unfamiliar with the whole thing (although I've been Dynamo-curious for years - just too ADD to look into it when I think about it.)
I was riding for a couple days, but yes, you need a new front hub. I just cut my stock wheels apart and rebuilt them with a hub. I run the dyno all the time on the Fat Bike and swap wheels for Road, Gravel, and MTB.

xc62701

Here’s just an outbound hangover light. It’s plenty alone!
D37E000A-39DC-4AB4-A090-AE1A95245387.jpeg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I had a ride killed before it started this afternoon when my bar-mounted light wouldn't turn on. I have a MagicShine Monteer 5000 and this is a frequent issue I've had with it for quite a while now. Apparently, this is not an issue unique to my set. It's some kind of short in the cable, which doesn't surprise me because I have always hated the battery setup on this thing - the battery connects to a cable via a face mount and that cable connects to the head unit itself. It just seems unnecessarily complex - why not just build the cable into the battery like nearly every other model with a battery out there? I have had MS lights for years now (going all the way back to when you could only buy them through the now defunct Geomangear) and this is the first set I've ever had any problem with, but I'm done with it - it's been happening for almost a year, I got a cable replacement and it started up again a few months later. So all of that is to say I'm in the market for new lights and would love some feedback if anyone has it.

I'll need both a helmet and a bar-mounted light. Where I am right now is looking at Outbound Lighting (Trail EVO for the bars, Hangover for the helmet) or perhaps Outbound for the bars and Action LED's Gloworm for the helmet. Pros and Cons of Outbound Lighting as I see it are one and the same - their lights have no battery pack. That's obviously a plus in the "1Speed doesn't need to carry extra shit" category, but it's a possible minus in the "1Speed has been known to ride long into the night so frequently keeps extra batteries in case they run out before he's done" category - with a light that is directly charged with no battery, I'm kinda done when the light is done. The Gloworm has battery packs, but the whole system is more expensive for it. I've also looked into the L&M Seca Enduro, which has a long battery life but it's also what the kiddies call "fuckin' expensive" at around $400 for the system (and more if I buy extra batteries.) I'd really like to not spend a fortune if I can avoid it.

So before I choose through these all-less-than-perfect options, anyone have experience with any of these manufacturers, or have any others that I should consider? I need a light with "good" output (2500+ lumens for bike mount, at least 1000 for the helmet), decent life span between charges, and most of all it's got to be reliable (I lived a horror story the first time this issue happened when I started out in daylight at Wharton and was all the way at the turnaround when I realized I had no working lights - for the record, it's REALLY dark in Wharton at night and as twisty as that trail is it was NOT fun trying to navigate my way back to the lot without lights.) I might be willing to forego the extra battery thing (as T.S. Eliot once said, "I grow old ... I grow old ..." so unfortunately long nights out may not be as much of a thing for me in the coming years) but only if the quality of a battery-free light is the best option.
My one magicshine enduro I have left has been good for 5 years. The other battery that came with it died after 1 season. Nightride lumina micro 950 is my goto for bars and helmet now.

JonF

I posted about my recent helmet and bar outbound setup here if you're curious:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So as an update, I did end up going with the Outbound Lighting Evo Downhill bundle (Evo & Hangover together.) Got out for a first ride with them last night. Nice lights - better diffusion than my MagicShine. Perhaps not quite as bright for the Hangover compared to the Monteer, but not in a appreciable way. More importantly, I hardly even notice the Hangover on top of my helmet. It's incredibly light. And I did really enjoy having no cords. The deciding factor for me besides the positive feedback here was that they have pass-through USB charging, meaning I can charge the lights while they're in use. So basically, I can pick up an outdoor charger, throw a velcro strap on it and use that like a battery if I ever find my light dimming. I already have the Garmin pass-through charger (somewhere in my massive pile of unused electronics) so if I can use that, it'd be ideal.

The only setback I had last night was more or less a nitpicky thing - I use KOM out-front mounts on all of my bikes, and positioning the Outbound light mount with an out-front mount presents issues since they both work best right near the stem. It's not that they can't co-exist at all, but it's awfully hard to mount the light under the out-front mount. I ended up tipping the Garmin mount upward to make it all more compatible. But an easier long-term solution may be to add a simple stem mount for the Gamrin and remove the out-front mount at night-time. Kind of a PIA, but not a deal-breaker.

(Oh - and I think it might have been in a different thread, but special thanks to @xc62701 for the comment on the helmet mount. I was prepared for that one because I knew I already had a strap mount for my GoPro. But I had to look all over my house for it, which I would have had to do right before my ride if I wasn't aware of that and tracked it down before the lights arrived!)

Lights1.jpg

Lights2.jpg

Bikeworks

@1speed I used to have an out-front mount too, but stopped using it because whenever I would crash, the mount/computer would invariably take the hit. I now just have a simple bar mount (the one packaged with my Wahoo) that works great. I have a Barfly that's designed to mount out front or go to the left side and reverse mount over the stem. Can you do that with your KOM, or is it too long? If you want the Barfly, send me $20 and it's yours.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
@1speed I used to have an out-front mount too, but stopped using it because whenever I would crash, the mount/computer would invariably take the hit. I now just have a simple bar mount (the one packaged with my Wahoo) that works great. I have a Barfly that's designed to mount out front or go to the left side and reverse mount over the stem. Can you do that with your KOM, or is it too long? If you want the Barfly, send me $20 and it's yours.

Thanks. You know, I'd have to look and see if reversing the KOM is an option. That never occurred to me, and it just might be short enough (my stem is 90 mm, so it's probably close but might work. If not, I have a ton of stem mounts from many years of Garmin accessories and I can always put one of those on.

ebarker9

Reviving this with a (hopefully) simple question. I got caught out in the dark last night at Allamuchy (there was a significant accident on Rt 80, so we got a really late start). I've never really done any riding at night and probably won't as a regular thing, but I'd like to have something to use in these situations.

Would people generally do a bar mount or helmet mount as a single light if given the choice? Was thinking of that Outbound Hangover helmet light and then could add a bar mounted light if I actually wind up doing "intentional" night rides.

JonF

Depends on the light (how powerful, beam pattern, etc). Some people run an insane x thousand lumen bar light with a massive spread and thats it. But if you're looking at something that is in the ~1000 lumen range, i think id prefer it on the helmet so i can dynamically look around and have the light follow. Bar lights alone are fine for paved path riding but once you get in the some real windy trails, you need more light cast all around you (or be in control of the beam on your head). I think bar lights are just more commonplace so you tend to see them more even if they aren't always the best solution for MTB applications.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Reviving this with a (hopefully) simple question. I got caught out in the dark last night at Allamuchy (there was a significant accident on Rt 80, so we got a really late start). I've never really done any riding at night and probably won't as a regular thing, but I'd like to have something to use in these situations.

Would people generally do a bar mount or helmet mount as a single light if given the choice? Was thinking of that Outbound Hangover helmet light and then could add a bar mounted light if I actually wind up doing "intentional" night rides.

I would go with a good helmet light if I could only have one. I happen to have thevhangover and it does exceptionally well on its own.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I do night rides intentionally and use niterider 1000 lum helmet light and carry an extra in the pocket. Works fine and cheap. I have run both but find it unnecessary, YRMD.

Top Bottom