bike gps or app for blackberry

Mikerjr

Accomplished Skadouche
im looking for a bike mounted gps or an app for my blackberry that will do the same, im sick of getting lost in the woods without any sort of way to orient myself to where i park, anyone have any ideas or what works for them.

i carry a map and a compass when im alone in an unknown place, and i usually star or mark where i park when i start, works for me, but might not work for everyone

Lots of folks here use the Garmin Edge GPS's 305 or 705. I've even used to the watch version: ForeRunner 405. All have worked well for me, although the 705 doubles as a nice road bike GPS which helps me explore.

I find GPSed really handy to track ride stats (using BB 9700) and upload to their site if so inclined, but I don't think of it as a navi aid.

I downloaded a couple of free apps on my Blackberry and wasn't too happy with the functionality. Blackstar points you in the direction of way-points but it seems to get too easily confused. And the compass required you to move to give orientation. I also didn't like the idea of using my phone while riding, I have butterfingers and do look at the screen while in motion, so I wanted something with a rugged construction.
I ended up looking at some Garmin trail GPS's and found a decent price on a 60CSx without the Sirf chip-set ( I don't think you need it unless you do surveying). I hang it from a carabiner on the front of my Camelback and it has been quite useful in getting me back to the parking lot. The GPS, case, carabiner/clip & memory card came under $300 (All purchased separately).
If you want something cheaper that will get you back to the parking lot, you might want to look at the eTrex series. The 305, 605 & 705 are bike specific GPS's. A lot of the non-bike specific GPS still have bike mounting kits.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of these with my verizon BB, could not get any to work since the GPS is locked. Might be because my BB has VZ navigator on it, dont know.

Some versions of BB are still locked since Verizon has no interest in updating operating software for models they will be phasing out.

By the way, if you buy a new BB from Verizon, don't believe them when they tell you whether a particular unit is locked - try them on your own first via blackberry maps.

I have a Iphone works OK, but the speed and miles are of by a 1 mile.
I was looking into a garman 605 or a 705. Just wondering who has them and what the like of dislike about them..

I have a Iphone works OK, but the speed and miles are of by a 1 mile.
I was looking into a garman 605 or a 705. Just wondering who has them and what the like of dislike about them..

I've had the 605 for two years and it has been flawless to date. The only thing I wish is that it had cadence (ala 705) for my roadie rides and a barometer for more accurate altitude (which I think the 705 also has, yes?).

I've had the 605 for two years and it has been flawless to date. The only thing I wish is that it had cadence (ala 705) for my roadie rides and a barometer for more accurate altitude (which I think the 705 also has, yes?).

I think it does.

Back
Top Bottom