Bike for wife

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
After about a 8 year hiatus I'm looking to get a hard tail for myself and my wife. Last bike I had was a Niner MCR. This will be her first mtn bike however she's the type that is a go getter and not very timid. I was looking at hard tails because of our budget. Looking at 2k each. I was looking at the Trek Superflys 6&7 and the Staches 5&7. I know two different types. One shop said the Staches are somewhat sluggish once stopped peddling and the Superflys of course will be quicker. However another said the Staches would rock on the trials we'd ride. We'll be riding Allaire, 6mile, and Hartshorne. Could anyone who's ridden or have both give a recommendation?

welcome back, HT a good choice for the parks you listed, but if you go elsewhere, you may wish you went FS.
What about HT for you and FS for her?

I have not ridden either but clarity of the two are simple.
Superfly is a race bike faster edgier and somewhat twitchy in a good race way
Stache is trail bike 120mm fork slacker head tube longer chain stays this is a FUN bike steady point and shoot bike.

The real question is what type of rider are you and your lady. Racer or FUN riders.

I'm in no way racing anytime soon. No intentions. What I was thinking was putting on wider tires on the Superflys. My Niner had what was then considered massive Ardent 2.4 in the front and 2.25 in the rear mounted on Stans Flows. A little overkill I prob should've went with Arches. The Staches with their 29+ tires are new to me but in the same time have me intrigued. I've never demoed a Stache, I hope they're not sluggish.

I'd love to get her on a FS but I'm already pushing it at 2k per bike.

your header says bike for wife, let her ride and decide for herself
depending on her size she may prefer the 27.5 tire and the B+ are all the rage now. I want one too, they look fun. Good luck finding your bikes

If she'll fit a medium, I'm selling my Niner EMD. I'm in Lambertville.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272310214520

26882561966_48a19aaf9b_z.jpg

your header says bike for wife, let her ride and decide for herself
depending on her size she may prefer the 27.5 tire and the B+ are all the rage now. I want one too, they look fun. Good luck finding your bikes
And by all means she's the deciding factor on what she'd like. I was just curious with the plus sized tires.

My wife demoed a Bad Habit with 3" tires in Bend. She said it felt clumsy and prefers her Tallboy 29. Good news is the new Tallboy 2's go both ways... I rode it probably 40 miles too and I agree...Traction for days in the loose stuff and pretty forgiving but felt lumbering compared to a Scalpel or even the 160mm 27.5 rig I demoed. I'm not sold on 3" tires yet.

What size bike would you or your wife ride? If you would consider a used bike I have one that's right at your limit of $2K. I have a 2013 Giant Trance XO 29er that just had both the fork and rear shock fully serviced I'm thinking of selling for $2K. It was purchased from Jay of Halters back at their previous location on Rt. 1 for $4K. I know the Trance X is too much bike for the places you mentioned but this may encourage you to adventure up north a bit to Allamuchy or Mahlon Dickerson where I do most of my riding. Just tossing it out there.

Back
Top Bottom